Sennheiser HD 6XX plus DAC/AMP

Hello, I currently own the Sennheiser HD6XXs and they sound ok, much clearer than my Superlux HD668Bs but I thought they would sound much better than they do. Maybe I expected too much or maybe it's my DAC/AMP. I am using the SMSL M2 DAC/AMP and it's a eBay 65$ thing. In a store in my country I can get the dragonfly red for $225 (already tried the dragonfly black and it didn't sound any better than my SMSL M2). Or I can order the schiit stack or a objective 2 amp + DAC. I am up for anything really that's not over $300 as long as it will improve my experience a LOT. If the Dragonfly red will be enough to make my experience better I will get it but everything else is kind of inconvinient if it's not that much better since I have to order it and wait for it and pay for shipping and taxes.

5 hours ago, dome3731 said:

Also I'm listening to FLAC music on my PC.

Good source material, eh. I’d bet you’re using either Foobar2000 or EAC to rip your FLAC audio files.

Honestly, I think you really can’t go too far wrong with those DAC/amp choices (JDS Labs, Schiit). Common sense tells me that an externally-powered option will drive those HD6xx to your satisfaction. 100% USB might be too iffy.  My 2 cents....

Why not give an external amp like the Magni 3 or Vali 2 (if you wanna try a tube amp) or even an Asgard 2? Since you're using the SMSL M2 as a pure DAC or your mobo audio and let the Schiit Magni 3/Vali 2/Asgard 2 power your HD6XX. If your mobo can handle the audio codec that you use (like FLAC) then there's no need for the M2.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I love my Sabaj Da2 (SMSL iDEA or whatever). I'm sure there are better units, but worth giving a go.

I’ve a pair of HD6XX and they sound good with the little bear B4. I pretty much don’t like the HD6XX but that amp fixes them enough to be enjoyable.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, Max_Settings said:

Go with the Schiit Stack

The schiit stack is $300 for me, would you still recommend it with that price when the dragonfly red is only $225?

35 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

The schiit stack is $300 for me, would you still recommend it with that price when the dragonfly red is only $225?

Yes because it’s better and a lot more powerful.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:43 PM, Max_Settings said:

Yes because it’s better and a lot more powerful.

Do you think I'll notice a difference between the setup I have and the schiit stack?

2 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Do you think I'll notice a difference between the setup I have and the schiit stack?

If you are using high quality audio as a source, yes.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

If you are using high quality audio as a source, yes.

IS flac good enough?

Just now, dome3731 said:

IS flac good enough?

Yes FLAC is perfect, that’s what audiophiles listen to.

I'm going to spend $300 on this, hope it does sound better else I'll be disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

BTW is the modi 2 uber worth the extra $50?

Only if you need Optical.

Okay, thank you, I really appreciate all the help and your devotion. Think you're a great guy. I just hope you actually know what you're talking about (don't get offended by me doubting you).

8 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Okay, thank you, I really appreciate all the help and your devotion. Think you're a great guy. I just hope you actually know what you're talking about (don't get offended by me doubting you).

Oh I think most people around here will say I do. I have no doubts in that.

Okay thank you a lot, you helped me and I think it's amazing that you reply all the time and to everyone about everything.

13 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I'll very likely buy the schiit stack next week when I get my paycheck, thanks again man.

18 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

One last question, is it worth it to go into the $400 - 500$ price range? If so, what would you recommend?

6 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

One last question, is it worth it to go into the $400 - 500$ price range? If so, what would you recommend?

For a DAC/Amp? Not at this point. Get some more higher end headphones then go there. Unless you really want tubes or balanced.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

For a DAC/Amp? Not at this point. Get some more higher end headphones then go there. Unless you really want tubes or balanced.

So the schiit stack is the best thing for my headphones?

2 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

So the schiit stack is the best thing for my headphones?

For the price yes. Obviously there is more expensive stuff. HD650s love tubes, Valhalla 2 would probably be my pick for the best somewhat affordable Amp for those. But the Magni 3 is more versatile because more power and more headphones prefer solid state over tube.

For the price yes. Obviously there is more expensive stuff. HD650s love tubes, Valhalla 2 would probably be my pick for the best somewhat affordable Amp for those. But the Magni 3 is more versatile because more power and more headphones prefer solid state over tube.

Okay, thanks a lot man.