Need a Little Help

FBomb

Hi, I'm looking into building a server to keep at home and I'd like to have one for a few reasons. I'd like to be able to back up my Laptop on the go because I am an Owner Operator of an 18 wheeler and everything that has to do with my business is on my laptop. 99% of the time I fall asleep watching YouTube at night so what I would like to do is be able for my laptop to upload new files (or anything I've edited) to the server sometime in the night. I'd upload the initial backup on day one and If I change anything, that night my laptop would send it to the server. I'd also like to have all my media hosted on it as well, I rip a lot of blue rays to my laptop because it's easier than just keeping all the discs in my truck. Is this something possible and/or realistic? I'm afraid if I were to ever get into an accident and my laptop is broken, I'd lose all my data on this HDD. I do have a backup on a seagate 1TB drive here on the truck but if that were lost too I'd be pretty SOL. So I'd like to have the server for keeping a backup and keeping it updated on a regular basis. TIA!

Budget? Country?

How much storage do you need?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I'm hoping to keep my budget as low as possible. And I'm in America. Tennessee, to be more specific.

You want to have a server in your truck? Or do you want a server at your house?

Anyways, i would recommend twice the storage that you already use, possibly even more as you want to store your media on it. If you want to host it at your house you should check if you have a static public IP or else get dynamic DNS. 

Perhaps a FTP server along the other stuff so you can upload your media?

3 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You want to have a server in your truck? Or do you want a server at your house?

Anyways, i would recommend twice the storage that you already use, possibly even more as you want to store your media on it. If you want to host it at your house you should check if you have a static public IP or else get dynamic DNS. 

Perhaps a FTP server along the other stuff so you can upload your media?

Basically thats all you need for what you want to do, connect your laptop to your FTP-Server at night and upload the data you want. By using dynamic DNS or your static IP you could do that from wherever you are. Maybe also setup OpenVPN so that nobody else can reach your FTP-Server except you.

for(var i = 0; i<= 1/0; i++) {
	alert("Look, i am like while(true){}");
}

1/0 != Error; 1/0 == ∞