I Need Help With Audio Stuff

LordPineapple

Hey Audio Wizards, 

Im currently looking into getting a vynl player as well as some other audio (DAC/Amp whatever one I havnt read the pinned posts on that stuff yet). And the problem is I want a device/thing that has multiple 3.1mm audio jacks/some port that can easily be adapted and outputs them out one or two audio out ports. I also don't want it to introduce too much electrical interference, I'm willing to spend upto $500 AUD (Australia Dollars) on a magic box thing that does that. Also are PCIE sound cards like the Soundblaster ZXR worth it for cleaner audio signals?  

So you're looking for a device to mix multiple concurrent audio sources into one (or two) outputs?

If that's the thing you're after then you need an audio mixer.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

50 minutes ago, Volbet said:

So you're looking for a device to mix multiple concurrent audio sources into one (or two) outputs?

If that's the thing you're after then you need an audio mixer.

Ahh ok, Thanks. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, LordPineapple said:

Ahh ok, Thanks. Any suggestions?

That depends a lot on your specific needs.

If you're going to use a turntable, then looking into DJ mixers might be a place to start, since they'll have phono pre-amps build in. 

Although, you might end up paying for a lot of features you aren't going to use if you go this route. 

A personal recommendation would be the Digital DJ Mixer from Beringer. Pretty solid device, which offers a lot of value.  

53 minutes ago, Volbet said:

That depends a lot on your specific needs.

If you're going to use a turntable, then looking into DJ mixers might be a place to start, since they'll have phono pre-amps build in. 

Although, you might end up paying for a lot of features you aren't going to use if you go this route. 

A personal recommendation would be the Digital DJ Mixer from Beringer. Pretty solid device, which offers a lot of value.  

So I would be able to connect my PC/Record Player thing/consoles and everything into that?

2 minutes ago, LordPineapple said:

So I would be able to connect my PC and everything into that?

Yep, you have up to four line - or phono inputs, which you can connect everything to. 

I would suggest not getting a DJ mixer, they are overpriced for using in a home environment and have functions/abilities you simply won't want or need to use.

If your turntable doesn't have a built in preamp then just get a stand alone preamp (make sure it's suitable to accept the signal from the turntable wrt MM/MC). If your turntable does have a built in preamp then you can just treat it like any other line level signal. You can then take that signal into any mixer. Depending on what devices you're going to be using then you can get a mixer with a built in USB interface or just with analogue stereo channels.

3 minutes ago, anothertom said:

I would suggest not getting a DJ mixer, they are overpriced for using in a home environment and have functions/abilities you simply won't want or need to use.

If your turntable doesn't have a built in preamp then just get a stand alone preamp (make sure it's suitable to accept the signal from the turntable wrt MM/MC). If your turntable does have a built in preamp then you can just treat it like any other line level signal. You can then take that signal into any mixer. Depending on what devices you're going to be using then you can get a mixer with a built in USB interface or just with analogue stereo channels.

I dont have a turntable yet, I was looking at getting one but I realized I would have to keep switching my headphones around a lot or something so I wanted to know how I would make it all the things have one audio output. What mixer and/or turntable would you suggest then?

I can't really suggest any specific turntable, but looking at the used market could be a way to reduce the cost, especially if you're looking for entry level equipment. Just remember that there needs to be a phono preamp in the signal chain, either built into the turntable or separate.

As for the mixer, make sure it has enough stereo channels. otherwise you'll be adjusting 2 faders/knobs when turning up one source. e.g. this mixer has four stereo channels while this one only has four mono channels. It also depends on what setting you want to use it in as well as what form factor you would like.

13 minutes ago, anothertom said:

I can't really suggest any specific turntable, but looking at the used market could be a way to reduce the cost, especially if you're looking for entry level equipment. Just remember that there needs to be a phono preamp in the signal chain, either built into the turntable or separate.

As for the mixer, make sure it has enough stereo channels. otherwise you'll be adjusting 2 faders/knobs when turning up one source. e.g. this mixer has four stereo channels while this one only has four mono channels. It also depends on what setting you want to use it in as well as what form factor you would like.

Ahh, ok thank you very much.