Which power supply

AL1V3

Which power supply can handle these:

GPU-msi geforce gtx 1070 ti titanium
Motherboard-ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU-i7 8700k
CPU cooler-NZXT Kraken X72 All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler with AM4 Bracket
SSD-SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 2TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
M.2 SSD-Patriot 480 GB Internal SSD - M.2 2280 - Hellfire M2 - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)
HDD-Seagate 12TB BarraCuda Pro 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal HDD
RAM-G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

The system should draw like 300-350W under load. Get the 450-650W version of the RMx, Whisper M, Straight Power 11, Prime Titanium (those 4 are the quiet ones), Focus Plus Gold, G2, G3, Leadex Gold or Leadex II (those last ones if you don't care as much about noise, and want something cheaper). 

:)

18 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The system should draw like 300-350W under load. Get the 450-650W version of the RMx, Whisper M, Straight Power 11, Prime Titanium (those 4 are the quiet ones), Focus Plus Gold, G2, G3, Leadex Gold or Leadex II (those last ones if you don't care as much about noise, and want something cheaper). 

Is 750w okay?

1 minute ago, AL1V3 said:

Is 750w okay?

It's okay, but it's just a waste of money. There's no benefit at all to get one that's 750W, unless it's cheaper. 

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's okay, but it's just a waste of money. There's no benefit at all to get one that's 750W, unless it's cheaper. 

Well thx

The PSU is like the gasoline in your vehicle.  Better to have too much than not enough.  If you use a psu that is more than you need, then you are wasting energy because the system will not "draw" or "pull" more energy than the psu can produce.  But, if you get a psu that is not rated high enough to cover what the system demands, then the psu can't keep up with the system and things go wanky.  For the system that you described, the 750 is actually more than you need so is a bit of an overkill.  Something like the 450watt - 650watt will be plenty.  When shopping for a psu, I have a tendency to err on the side of caution, so I would settle for something in the 650 range.

5 hours ago, kb5zue said:

The PSU is like the gasoline in your vehicle.  Better to have too much than not enough. 

That's a stupid argument.

And false.

No, PSU is not like Gasoline, makes no sense.

A PSU is something that delivers the necessary power. And if you have a 1200W PSU in a 100W Computer, you only have disadvantages because 1200W PSU are usually louder than (good) 400-550W units.

And in case something fails, the damage is higher.

There is a thread on OC.net but sadly the Pictures are offline, where an EPS12V connector burned off the Board and started a fire - that's what you get when something fails, you have a high Wattage PSU (in this case it was 1600W or so) and Protection is lacking.

Here the thread, sadly no Pics no more :(

http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

5 hours ago, kb5zue said:

For the system that you described, the 750 is actually more than you need so is a bit of an overkill.  Something like the 450watt - 650watt will be plenty.  When shopping for a psu, I have a tendency to err on the side of caution, so I would settle for something in the 650 range.

I partly agree with you on that, but not on the last part:

no need for that, because:

DSC_4247Andere.th.jpg

Manufacturer guarantees 100% load under 24/7 Operation. What more do you need?

So that means that it isn't a problem to run a 450W unit at 100% all the time...

The next thing: A 450W can be quieter than a 650W under all circumstances because they use the same design and the 650W version has a way higher RPM fan in it. A Bitfenix Whisper M would be a good example, at no load:
450-550W:  <500rpm

650W and up: ~700rpm

And 650W is a waste, because you need some serious hardware for that. Like Titan level graphics cards, maybe VEGA and a HEDT Socket System like LGA2066 or TR4. BOTH.

For this system we are talking about something like 200-300W power consumption. So even a 450W is possible without overclocking. With overclocking, 550W would be the best choice, especially since that increases the models he could choose from. 

Just get a power meter and measure your PC yourself!

Even with Power Virus and some older HEDT Systems, its pretty hard to get close to 400-450W Power consumption without some serious overclocking.

With that you need like a 6-8 core CPU at least. But then again, we are sometimes talking about 12,5% higher clockrates for +50% power consumption (measured by my Powermeter, not guessed. Talking about my Ryzen 7 1700X I pushed to 4GHz from the Default. ANd max. Turbo under certain circumstances is 3,9GHz)...

And did I mention that 400-550W is perfectly fine because power consumption of components is rather low these days and 300W Graphics cards are really expensive these days?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

33 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's a stupid argument.

And false.

No, PSU is not like Gasoline, makes no sense.

A PSU is something that delivers the necessary power. And if you have a 1200W PSU in a 100W Computer, you only have disadvantages because 1200W PSU are usually louder than (good) 400-550W units.

And in case something fails, the damage is higher.

There is a thread on OC.net but sadly the Pictures are offline, where an EPS12V connector burned off the Board and started a fire - that's what you get when something fails, you have a high Wattage PSU (in this case it was 1600W or so) and Protection is lacking.

Here the thread, sadly no Pics no more :(

http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

I partly agree with you on that, but not on the last part:

no need for that, because:

DSC_4247Andere.th.jpg

Manufacturer guarantees 100% load under 24/7 Operation. What more do you need?

So that means that it isn't a problem to run a 450W unit at 100% all the time...

The next thing: A 450W can be quieter than a 650W under all circumstances because they use the same design and the 650W version has a way higher RPM fan in it. A Bitfenix Whisper M would be a good example, at no load:
450-550W:  <500rpm

650W and up: ~700rpm

And 650W is a waste, because you need some serious hardware for that. Like Titan level graphics cards, maybe VEGA and a HEDT Socket System like LGA2066 or TR4. BOTH.

For this system we are talking about something like 200-300W power consumption. So even a 450W is possible without overclocking. With overclocking, 550W would be the best choice, especially since that increases the models he could choose from. 

Just get a power meter and measure your PC yourself!

Even with Power Virus and some older HEDT Systems, its pretty hard to get close to 400-450W Power consumption without some serious overclocking.

With that you need like a 6-8 core CPU at least. But then again, we are sometimes talking about 12,5% higher clockrates for +50% power consumption (measured by my Powermeter, not guessed. Talking about my Ryzen 7 1700X I pushed to 4GHz from the Default. ANd max. Turbo under certain circumstances is 3,9GHz)...

And did I mention that 400-550W is perfectly fine because power consumption of components is rather low these days and 300W Graphics cards are really expensive these days?

Wow, I'm so ashamed.  I am so stupid.  Must be difficult to fly like an angel when in the company of idiots like myself. I have been using the method that I used in my SIMPLE illustration for over 40 years now and it has not failed me yet.  I did not go into the detail that you described because I did not feel it was necessary to answer the original posters question.

As for the gasoline thing, that was a simple metafore, an analogy.  I had no intention of telling anyone to put gasoline in their computer.  You put gasoline in an automobile or truck.  Have you ever tried to operate a vehicle other than a Tesla automobile without gasoline or diesel.  Nope, didn't think so.  So, I guess the gasoline does provide the materials necessary to provide power to the vehicle (system).

The original poster asked a simple question and I did my best, in a simple way, to explain my thoughts to him so that he would understand.  I never thought it was necessary to basically tell him that he was an idiot for asking such a question.  I didn't think that was required.

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination like some people to keep a research library on every PSU, CPU, GPU, HDD, SSD or fan so that I can use that information to belittle, condemn, and/or put down every comment that some other participant in the forum makes.  Obviously you have that time, energy, and inclination to do that.  You have succeeded.  I will not participate in any of the forum topics without asking for your professional guidance.

Once again, I feel so stupid and ashamed that I did not, can not, and will not live up to your valued expectations.

You put more effort in to condemning my 7 sentence paragraph than was ever, or could ever have been required.  You should be extremely proud of yourself.  Sad though having to spend so much time up on that pedestal alone.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Wow, I'm so ashamed.  I am so stupid.  Must be difficult to fly like an angel when in the company of idiots like myself. I have been using the method that I used in my SIMPLE illustration for over 40 years now and it has not failed me yet.  I did not go into the detail that you described because I did not feel it was necessary to answer the original posters question.

As for the gasoline thing, that was a simple metafore, an analogy.  I had no intention of telling anyone to put gasoline in their computer.  You put gasoline in an automobile or truck.  Have you ever tried to operate a vehicle other than a Tesla automobile without gasoline or diesel.  Nope, didn't think so.  So, I guess the gasoline does provide the materials necessary to provide power to the vehicle (system).

The original poster asked a simple question and I did my best, in a simple way, to explain my thoughts to him so that he would understand.  I never thought it was necessary to basically tell him that he was an idiot for asking such a question.  I didn't think that was required.

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination like some people to keep a research library on every PSU, CPU, GPU, HDD, SSD or fan so that I can use that information to belittle, condemn, and/or put down every comment that some other participant in the forum makes.  Obviously you have that time, energy, and inclination to do that.  You have succeeded.  I will not participate in any of the forum topics without asking for your professional guidance.

Once again, I feel so stupid and ashamed that I did not, can not, and will not live up to your valued expectations.

You put more effort in to condemning my 7 sentence paragraph than was ever, or could ever have been required.  You should be extremely proud of yourself.  Sad though having to spend so much time up on that pedestal alone.

Oh, forgot to mention.  I did not get any complaints or negative comments from the original poster about my thoughts.  So if anyone had the right to bitch me out and call me stupid, it would have been him. 

I attacked the Argument because it is just wrong and misrepresents how things are.

Because Gasoline is a form of energy. The equivalent to that would be electrical power.

So the next best thing would be the Motor that converts the Energy from a fluid to motion engine. A power supply does a similar thing and also converts one form of Energy to another! 

In this case AC Voltage to (many) DC-Voltages.

But comparing an engine to a PSU doesn't make much sense for various reasons but its the closest thing in cars to a PSU.

Because both are "Energy Converters".

With that said, getting a too big engine is also a big disadvantage because it increases the fuel consumption. With PC PSU that isn't that much the case but you waste money for something you don't need and you have other disadvantages like more fan noise because higher wattage PSU often have higher RPM fans - like in the Bitfenix Whisper M example I made earlier.

And the other thing is that the damage is potentially higher if something goes wrong.

So in short:

a) you can't compare cars to Computers!

b) A PSU converts one form of energy to another one, so that it is usable for the components

c) "More Watts" don't give you an advantage if you don't need it.
And it is better go go higher quality.

For example getting a 450W Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M is better than getting a 650W Corsair VS.

Because you get higher efficiency -> lower heat, that also (sometimes) translate to less noise, higher quality components and a potentially longer lifespan of the device. 

And also better voltage regulation wich means that it could extend the life of the componewnts.

d) So get the best thing you can get for the money, if it means sacrificing Wattage for Quality, it is a great deal.

And if you have any questions, @kb5zue feel free to make a thread where you ask your questions. We "PSU Expterts" would be happy to answer them.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 30/03/2018 at 1:21 PM, kb5zue said:

Oh, forgot to mention.  I did not get any complaints or negative comments from the original poster about my thoughts.  So if anyone had the right to bitch me out and call me stupid, it would have been him. 

That is because OP doesn’t know what’s wrong or right... that is why they’re asking the question...

You gave him some incorrect advise. OP didn’t know that, so others need to point it out.

Sad though having to spend so much time up on that pedestal alone.

No reason to insult someone personally for giving the right advise to OP, yourself, and other readers. You should be greatful that OP (hopefully), and possibly yourself, and other readers have a better understanding of power supplies.

I stand by EVERYTHING I said and I have absolutely no regret or remorse.