all browser takes huge amount of ram

jonh.h

chrome and edge takes huge amount of ram when i was opening tabs

i open like 7 tabs in chrome in task manager it shows i open 13 tabs

5abcf6f8ce730_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.e819adf7ec374659cda6ebc6969e8cf0.png

same thing on edge i open 1 tab in task manager showed i open 6 tabs5abcf75908de0_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.75caaaa14b11b5cdab0a449d95c8f40c.png

Thats because many of those are not tabs, those are background processes. Thats just how it works so add more RAM and feed it to the gods of the internet.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

how much ram do you have

8GB

That's pretty much the norm nowadays, modern websites use  a lot of images, CSS, and JavaScript so they're pretty RAM-intensive.

The processes you're seeing aren't all tabs though.

In Chrome your extensions and plugins also run as separate processes, you can view the individual RAM & CPU usage of these processes with their proper names by going to Settings > More tools > Task Manager (or press Shift + Esc).

In Edge you can already see the proper names of the processes via the Windows Task Manager, the Chakra JIT Compiler for example is what executes the JavaScript on a given webpage.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

I ave had this issue, I reinstalled chrome and it fixed

Can say this for Chrome but not the others.  The total number of times that chrome will show up in the task manager is equal to or greater than the number of tabs you have open along with the total number of extensions you have in chrome.  Extensions such as Adguard or Adguard Plus are just two examples.  I have two examples, one of them being the Adguard extension and the other being the Speedtest extension.

So, as a minimum, I will have at least four and possibly more google chrome show up in task manager.  That is because I have two tabs with two extensions for each tab so that is two (tabs) plus two extensions for each tab so that comes to at least six google chrome in the task manager.

And those are just the things I know are running, I'm sure there are other things I'm not seeing because I just checked my task manager and it shows 8 google chrome so I know there are at least two other things going on in the background that I can't identify.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I have 50 tabs in Vivaldi currently and I am at 900MB. But TBH, most of the tabs are just there but they are not loaded until I click on them so they dont take any RAM, I just have them here as it is convenient.

image.thumb.png.4b6890135914148d3bc7d34df868fd65.png

Yeah, don't worry about this all one bit. Browsers today are normally able and known to use a lot of Ram, and on occasion CPU usage. As TakataruMC said:

32 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

The processes you're seeing aren't all tabs though.

In Chrome your extensions and plugins also run as separate processes, you can view the individual RAM & CPU usage of these processes with their proper names by going to Settings > More tools > Task Manager (or press Shift + Esc).

Chrome has many techniques it uses to give you the best user experience, including using many processes to take up different resources and allocate for different tasks specifically, so don't worry about it. Edge is quite lesser known for doing this, and if you truly are worried, many people use either FireFox or Opera as less ram-intensive alternatives.

(This post already has a lot of comments saying all of this, I just wanted to give a short and concise summary of it all.)

Chrome is really not that great of a browser and does use a lot of RAM for what it does. Edge is just awful frankly and only gets good reviews from those who are clueless or get backhanders. Try other browsers and see how they compare for yourself. You may find for example that Firefox or Brave use less resources and can be a little faster at times.

18 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Chrome is really not that great of a browser and does use a lot of RAM for what it does. Edge is just awful frankly and only gets good reviews from those who are clueless or get backhanders. Try other browsers and see how they compare for yourself. You may find for example that Firefox or Brave use less resources and can be a little faster at times.

I personally wouldn't pick Firefox at the moment. It uses more RAM with 2 forum tabs open than Opera with 1 tab running YT video. I don't know if its about Opera running as 32bit and Firefox as 64bit, but overall not great performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I personally wouldn't pick Firefox at the moment. It uses more RAM with 2 forum tabs open than Opera with 1 tab running YT video. I don't know if its about Opera running as 32bit and Firefox as 64bit, but overall not great performance.

I thought the latest version had improved but Opera would be a better choice then by the sound of it.

30 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

I thought the latest version had improved but Opera would be a better choice then by the sound of it.

Quantum is better than what older version was. But for pure RAM usage Opera is better. Did test with both running YT video at 1080p. Firefox uses about 300Mb more RAM, but uses 2% less CPU. Ofc this is on my PC. Both browsers have about same amount of addons, with Opera running few background processes more as I use it as client for FB messenger and WhatsUpp desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv