How to NAS

I was woundering on how to set up a home NAS with my pc I don’t use anymore 

PC specs? What OS?

Normally just make a share and connect to it on another system, so in linux install samba and edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and with windows right click on a folder and click share.

Search up freenas, a lot more in depth to setup but you learn a lot and you can do mostly everything with it. I have a plex media server for my tvs, a modded minecraft server and a ton of windows smb shares. I bought a 8tb external drive and shucked the drive out and had a ton of 2tbs laying around so I put it all in my old z77 system in the closet.

Edit: You can use a 8GB or more flash drive as the boot drive too so you don't have to waste an entire drive for the 4gb freenas boot files

Intel 7770k EKWB Fluid Gaming A240G + 360mm Rad Expansion Sabertooth Z270 G.SKILL RGB 3200MHz 16GB Founders 1080 Corsair RM 650x Corsair 570x Crystal Series Corsair SSD Crucial SSD Corsair K95 RGB Corsair Sabre RGB  Acer KG240 144hz Planar PLL2410W  LG 29UM65-P Logitech G930 A Bunch of Corsair SP120 RGB Fans

19 minutes ago, Kingdomkey said:

I was woundering on how to set up a home NAS with my pc I don’t use anymore 

FreeNAS

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?