7zip vs windows built in

obviously 7zip.

Probably more optimized, but also offers way more file formats + more commands.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

nah winrar ftw  (THIS IS A JOKE HAHAHAHAHA)

i actually use winrar :(

i have 7zip, but i dont use it ever.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Internal zip opens just ZIP files.... I'm not even sure it opens all non-standard zip files.

WinZIP implemented several compression methods in ZIP files that are not using the standard DEFLATE algorithm. 7zip supports those and also allows you to create such zip archives... simply choose from the compression method BZip2 or LZMA or PPMd

Yeah, just checked... the built in zip thing in Windows 7 opens the archive and shows the files in it, but can't extract a file compressed using the non-default algorithm PPMd (which is very very good at compressing text files or files with lots of words like html pages), the extraction fails with an error.

It's like the same story with RAR archives ... WinRar lets you choose between using the older RAR algorithms (until version 5) and newer algorithms which are not compatible with older rar decompressors.

The 7zip format of 7zip is much better than ZIP and even RAR in some cases, and you can use very big dictionaries and can use a lot of threads (for example with 16 threads and 1.5 GB dictionary, 7zip could use up to 145 GB of RAM to compress something, if you want absolutely the maximum compression on huge amount of data, like GBs of content) but that's ridiculous extremes...  WinRAR defaults to maximum 4 MB dictionary I think, I'm not sure.

With 64 MB dictionary and 16 threads will use up to 5 GB of ram to compress your archives, but 4-8 compression threads and up to 8 MB dictionary is  more common, so memory usage will be less (up to ~1 GB of memory)

edit: attached is a zip file compressed with PPMd algorithm... see if your Windows can decompress it.  Both 7zip and Total Commander can do it. Contents is just a txt file with the text of this post.

readme.zip

21 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

i actually use winrar :(

i have 7zip, but i dont use it ever.

you should use it, its much easier and supports a lot of file formats

hi

3 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

you should use it, its much easier and supports a lot of file formats

i actually only have both because i went through a time where i was getting a lot of .rar files, and a lot of .7z files.  and they couldnt open each other at the time

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.