Apple Mac mini

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

yep it can fun fcpx and edit just fine.

Id probalby get a used macpro instead personally. The macmini's are from 2014. and are basically older macbook pro 13 parts.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

The Mac Mini is by far the worst mac product in the product stack beside the MacBook Air and Mac Pro(At new price. Used is still bad but there really is nothing else that packs as much power at that size in the OEM market). The Mac Mini just isn't made to video edit. You need a powerful GPU (Preferably AMD when hackintoshing or upgrading a tower Mac Pro) to be really good at it. The Cores seem to help but not as much as a powerful graphics card. I stand by a last gen Mac Pro or even a hackintosh with a AMD graphics card.

You can easily edit on it. fcpx will preform fine on there and edit 1080p footage smoothly. It really doesn't take much cpu power to edit 1080p. I can edit 1080p on fcpx on my older macbook air with no stutters or slow down and export faster than real time.

2 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Is speed fan app for Mac are good to control speed of mac’s fan???

Yep it will work fine, but no reason to change the speeds, its almost silent all the time.

I have a 2014 Mac Mini and it's doing ok so far. I would recommend installing an ssd if it doesn't come with one.

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

39 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

I don’t think mini is coming any sooner 

I think it's rumored that WWDC 2018 might be a big Mac refresh and that might include the Mac mini as Tim Cook replied to one email saying:

I’m glad you love Mac mini. We love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Mac mini. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Mac mini to be an important part of our product line going forward.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/19/tim-cook-mac-mini/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I would get a mac pro 2010 or 2012 upgrade to a 6 core, SSD maybe new large HDD.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

59 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can easily edit on it. fcpx will preform fine on there and edit 1080p footage smoothly. It really doesn't take much cpu power to edit 1080p. I can edit 1080p on fcpx on my older macbook air with no stutters or slow down and export faster than real time.

Yep it will work fine, but no reason to change the speeds, its almost silent all the time.

Matters how serious he is about it. The Macbook Air is a very weak system and it will take quite a while mattering on how many effects and the length of the project. Without know exactly how serious he is it is hard to give a precise answer which is why I went for price to performance.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

34 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Matters how serious he is about it. The Macbook Air is a very weak system and it will take quite a while mattering on how many effects and the length of the project. Without know exactly how serious he is it is hard to give a precise answer which is why I went for price to performance.

have you used fcpx? that program is pretty darn zippy and apple made it work very quickly with even some fairly slow hardware.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

have you used fcpx? that program is pretty darn zippy and apple made it work very quickly with even some fairly slow hardware.

I haven't personally but have seen plenty of benchmarks and opinions on it and yes it does seem to run pretty well on just about anything but it does still benefit from more CPU cores and GPU horsepower. If he needs to pump out videos or is using high levels of effects he will need more power to be able to pump them out. If hes just doing a video every now and then, then sure a MacBook air (although a 2014 Macbook Pro is a better buy IMO) is perfectly fine.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Okay I will get a Mac mini thanks guys for help!! I just want a good Mac that can be my daily driver and edit and grade raw and normal 1080p videos, for 4K Video I have a GTX 1070 Pc  can I increase fan speed in Mac mini using speed fan??

5 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Okay I will get a Mac mini thanks guys for help!! I just want a good Mac that can be my daily driver and edit and grade raw and normal 1080p videos, for 4K Video I have a GTX 1070 Pc  can I increase fan speed in Mac mini using speed fan??

Why do you want a mac mini if you already have a fast pc? Raw video and 4k will be a bit slow, but proxies will make it usable.

Yes you can, but don't bother with fan control.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you want a mac mini if you already have a fast pc? Raw video and 4k will be a bit slow, but proxies will make it usable.

Yes you can, but don't bother with fan control.

I just want to get my hand on a Mac that is cheap and can edit and grade 1080p videos,while I am waiting for the new 2018 Mac Pro. Yeah I have a PC with i7 6700K and GTX 1070 I will use my PC to edit and grade 4K videos not Mac mini!! I use Mac mini as my daily driver and 1080p grader and editor!! I’m waiting for the new Mac PRO 2018. 

Just now, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

I just want to get my hand on a Mac that is cheap and can edit and grade 1080p videos,while I am waiting for the new 2018 Mac Pro. Yeah I have a PC with i7 6700K and GTX 1070 I will use my PC to edit and grade 4K videos not Mac mini!! I use Mac mini as my daily driver and 1080p grader and editor!! I’m waiting for the new Mac PRO 2018. 

Please note- I don’t want to build a hackintosh 

1 minute ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

I will wait for new Mac Pro but if the price is higher than my budget than I will buy a 2013 Mac Pro.

Hi guys!! I have purchased a PC!! It cost me around  $350!! Less than the Mac mini $500 base model. And my pc is a lot faster than Mac mini!!! I will post a picture if you guys want!! Can I install hackintosh on it??? Or Linux???

7 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Hi guys!! I have purchased a PC!! It cost me around  $350!! Less than the Mac mini $500 base model. And my pc is a lot faster than Mac mini!!! I will post a picture if you guys want!! Can I install hackintosh on it??? Or Linux???

Hey,

pls post the components of the pc

On 3/31/2018 at 11:35 PM, ImpressiveTechNoah said:

Hey,

Specs- i3 7100 

Gigabyte H110M S2

Gigabyte GT 710 for CUDA accelerations GPU 

Lapcare PSU 

Just now, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Specs- i3 7100 

Gigabyte H110M S2

Gigabyte GT 710 for CUDA accelerations GPU 

Lapcare PSU 

On 3/31/2018 at 11:35 PM, ImpressiveTechNoah said:

Hey,

I will post pictures if you want!!

@LIQUIDFOX00200Do you need a desktop

if not look at a second hand macbook air the parts will be newer

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FQD32LL/A/Refurbished-133-inch-MacBook-Air-18GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

if you don't need the storage and you can always plug in a monitor but if you need storage check out

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini?product=MGEN2LL/A&step=config#

17 hours ago, Crayfishian said:

@LIQUIDFOX00200Do you need a desktop

if not look at a second hand macbook air the parts will be newer

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FQD32LL/A/Refurbished-133-inch-MacBook-Air-18GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

if you don't need the storage and you can always plug in a monitor but if you need storage check out

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini?product=MGEN2LL/A&step=config#

Yeah good idea! But I purchased the PC and we all know it is much faster than any MacBook!!