TV tuner cards

Donut417

Comcast keeps raising rates and I can no longer have us pay $9.95 a month for a cable box that doesnt see much use. During the last year or so Ive been watching most of my content online, youtube and such. I watch NCIS, Revolution and stuff like that on TV but that's on free broadcast TV. I just bought an HD TV Antenna and was wondering a few things. 

1. What TV tuner card would you recommend?
    1. I have a Gaming machine that I have hooked up to my TV already. I have 2x 1Tb hard drives on top of my SSD. I was hoping to be able to record NCIS and Revolution. 
  2. Is it best to use the software that comes with the tv tuner card or windows media center?
  3. Is it possible to split the antenna signal so I can hook it both up to my computer and TV?
  4. Im subscribed to netflix, we currently have a 6Mbps connect, how many streams do you think I can do on this connect? If we get rid of cable I might see if we can upgrade the internet service a bit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

That 9.95 for the box is probably more. Look at your bill see for "DVR, DigNav" which is part of your boxes programming/fee's. I install it for a living : /....

I've been out the loop for HTPC. But given I just made a new one. I have some insight. But not for a Tv tuner card, since I plan on using my old hauppauge card from 2004. That company use to make some the best Tv-tuner cards, dunno about now. Back then it matter if it converted on the card itself, mine does mpeg2. Dunno about now, probably not.

I'd recommend downloading XBMC for your PVR/DVR duties. Works real well for me. I use my tablet to control it or wireless mouse. It will also archive your movies/tv shows, if you have them on the drive. Simply locate it for them and it will properly label and show box art of said movie, even play the trailors on youtube.

Then you can also use this for netflix or just about any media related service you can think of. Then the aeon mq5 is a awesome skin.

Now far as your antenna. Firstly HD doesn't really mean squat for antenna's. I can hook up a antenna tower from 1970's and watch HD... Its a marketing ploy. Now what truly matters is if its amplified.... It having to have power is a good sign its amplified.

Now you can buy a 2-way splitter(-3.5db) and split it, then run coax from splitter to the tv and pc. Just make sure you do not buy copper braided coax. Then try to use RG-6 coax(rg-59 will work, im not sure if antenna goes past 950mhz these days. If you find it stopped working, then look at the fitting and if its burnt, then it indeed exceeds 950mhz. Which will still work fine, just need to replace the heads. But rg6 will eliminate that), any type except copper braided(copper braid is horrible). Now depending on length of the cable from antenna its going to be roughly "1db loss per 25feet of coax". If you find you have "snow" on certain channels. Then first wiggle your little jumpers off the 2-way splitter, to see if it clears. If not then your fittings are good and I would suggest "PPC compression rg-6 fittings" if your going to make your own. Then if snow is still present, your to low on signal. You can either buy a better antenna for outdoors or buy a coax-cable amplifier. If you buy the amplifier, then simply put it on right before the 2-way splitter, amplifier inside not outside unless its made for that. Most amplifiers will do 15db increase. If you still have artifacts after that, then its bad signal to begin with. But you should note that you will only see "snow" on analog channels. With digital/HD you either get a picture or you don't. If you dont have  a picture on a known working channel, then do as I said for "snow" problems.  But do not amplify it unless you have problems. For over amplification will cause problems as well.

I will warn you though. If you end up liking XBMC you will find yourself buying/building a new PC in short order  :P. Some people run it off rashpberry Pi or whatever. Which would make it dirt cheap.

Then yes I would upgrade my internet. But when you call to cancel cable services. Id act like your going to cancel it all, then say the promotion price from a local company that your going to switch too. Then your cable company is most likely going to give you the promotion prices they offer to new customers. Then see what it will be for internet only.