Do i need a new windows product key to install windows again on a different drive?

OlympianThanatos

My friend is  having me install a new SSD into his laptop that he wants to move his OS onto as well as installing new RAM, but the thing is i don't have a spare windows 10 key and was wondering if there is a way to install windows onto this new drive without having to get a new windows product key. The os Version is Windows 10 and his laptop is an Alienware 17" R3. 

He most likely has an OEM license so Windows 10 should be licensed automatically since it's still the same motherboard. That's what happened when I replaced the HDD in my laptop with an SSD (I didn't even need to enter the key manually).

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, ThatFlashCat said:

He most likely has an OEM license so Windows 10 should be licensed automatically since it's still the same motherboard. That's what happened when I replaced the HDD in my laptop with an SSD (I didn't even need to enter the key manually).

Okay, if thats the case then how should i go about moving his OS to the new SSD? i have a USB ready with the windows 10 installation tool if need be

3 minutes ago, OlympianThanatos said:

My friend is  having me install a new SSD into his laptop that he wants to move his OS onto as well as installing new RAM, but the thing is i don't have a spare windows 10 key and was wondering if there is a way to install windows onto this new drive without having to get a new windows product key. The os Version is Windows 10 and his laptop is an Alienware 17" R3. 

As long as it's the same computer (i.e. in most cases, the same motherboard), you don't need to get a new license key. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

just did that within the last few days, works flawless, the key is on the Mainboard.

Just install the same version and you´re good to go. 

BTW: A clean UEFI install is always a good idea if you´re moving and have the time to set it up again.

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

1 minute ago, OlympianThanatos said:

Okay, if thats the case then how should i go about moving his OS to the new SSD? i have a USB ready with the windows 10 installation tool if need be

Just install Windows as normal and it should automatically activate if the machine doesn't have a Windows COA sticker on it. If it doesn't have the sticker, the license key is already "embedded" into the UEFI BIOS. If the machine does have a sticker, chances are you'll have to input the key manually and activate which is no big deal.   

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I would highly recommend doing a clean install (not cloning the HDD) so you simply need to remove the HDD, install the SSD in its place, and then boot to the usb win 10 installer and follow the instructions.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

So, just to sum it up, I would recommend a clean install too:

- select "UEFI [YOUR USB STICK NAME]" while booting from usb

- remember the Windows 10 type (Home/Pro) and choose that one during install

- click on "i don´t have a license key" and proceed, it will activate itself automatically

- install drivers (if windows didnt automatically)

- install the SSD´s software & activate "Momentum Cache" (or whatever its called on your SSD)!

- connect the old HDD via USB (adapter is super cheap) and copy the data

Congrats, you´re done :)

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

4 minutes ago, cyanit said:

So, just to sum it up, I would recommend a clean install too:

- select "UEFI [YOUR USB STICK NAME]" while booting from usb

- remember the Windows 10 type (Home/Pro) and choose that one during install

- click on "i don´t have a license key" and proceed, it will activate itself automatically

- install drivers (if windows didnt automatically)

- install the SSD´s software & activate "Momentum Cache" (or whatever its called on your SSD)!

- connect the old HDD via USB (adapter is super cheap) and copy the data

Congrats, you´re done :)

Just make sure to only copy the necessary data (personal files and nothing related to programs or windows).

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Your digital license can actually be linked to a Microsoft account, may be a good idea to have your friend attempt this before swapping out OS drives, just to be safe:

Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Add account >  enter login info

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming