Turning on my PC isn't working

JoeR
Go to solution Solved by JacobFW,
1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Just plugged in both of my old fans, one of which doesn't work. The working one moved for a second and then turned off just like the Cooler is. The cooler also has 2 fans attached that should be working.

Just to clarify, do you only have working fans plugged into the cpu fan headers?

Why isn't my PC turning on? It keeps flashing my PC cooler light on when I turn it on but then doesn't continue. What should I do?

1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Why isn't my PC turning on? It keeps flashing my PC cooler light on when I turn it on but then doesn't continue. What should I do?

IMG_4487.MOV

Did you plug in the CPU power? It could be one of many other things though, just run through the build process again.

Check your mobo connections, user the user manual as a reference. Or post pictures and we'll try to help

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Try turning on after each of the following steps

1. Reseat Memory and Video Card

2. Clear CMOS

If that doesn't work then,

3. Try it with integrated graphics

4. Use only 1 stick of memory in 1 slot (Alternate slots)

Did you make sure your standoff placement was correct? A standoff behind the board in a spot where there isn't a screw hole can short the board and prevent it from starting.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

27 minutes ago, Patsfan469 said:

The more information, the better chance that we can help solve your issue!

31 minutes ago, Mibits said:

Did you plug in the CPU power? It could be one of many other things though, just run through the build process again.

29 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Check your mobo connections, user the user manual as a reference. Or post pictures and we'll try to help

Could it be because one of things plugged into my PSU isn't plugged into anything else?

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

Try turning on after each of the following steps

1. Reseat Memory and Video Card

2. Clear CMOS

If that doesn't work then,

3. Try it with integrated graphics

4. Use only 1 stick of memory in 1 slot (Alternate slots)

I'll second that, but just to make sure you're able to post, I'd recommend going straight to removing your video card all together (assuming you have onboard graphics) and like cpuwaiy said, all but one stick of ram.  Unplug your hard drives and any usb connectors.  Plug your keyboard straight into the back of your motherboard (if you have usb 2.0 ports, use one of those).

Also, assuming you haven't used them before, check and make sure your monitor cable AND the monitor port work by plugging them into something else.  Also make sure your monitor is on the correct input.

I'd also recommend getting a can of compressed air, and spraying into your ram slots, and if you still can't get it to post, remove the cpu and spray into the socket  (hold the can about 6 inches back for this, and DON'T touch the socket pins).  I have had issues where even after reseating memory several times, the computer still wouldn't post, until I tried the old GB/NES "blow on it"

1 hour ago, Mibits said:

1 hour ago, myselfolli said:

1 hour ago, Patsfan469 said:

53 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

36 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

Sorry, I understand I've been incredibly vague. And I quoted everyone because I know some people don't see replys without quotes. Sorry for formatting, I'm on my phone. Anyways, my NZXT Kraken x62 randomly stopped pumping after about 9 months of use. So I took it off my CPU and sent an RMA to NZXT, bput I didn't take any pictures of proof of it not working in their "Cam" software, and that's required I guess. So I reconnected it and now we're here. I feel like I've forgotten everything about building a PC except for the basics in those 9 months. I also disconnected both of my fans, which the picture above shows what they were connected to. I'm trying to connect two new fans, and only have one connected currently. I connected this to my motherboard instead of the part that connects to the power supply. I'm wondering if this being plugged into the power supply (with no exit connection) makes the computer start but then immediately cancel. I don't think it's due to anything but my CPU cooler/CPU, PSU, and I also connected a new HDD, so that too. I haven't really cleaned my PC that much so it could also be dust related. For all I know I could've done something with electricity (blanking on the word).

underlined - edited

Edited by JoeR

1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Sorry, I understand I've been incredibly vague. And I quoted everyone because I know some people don't see replys without quotes. Sorry for formatting, I'm on my phone. Anyways, my NZXT Kraken x62 randomly stopped pumping after about 9 months of use. So I took it off my CPU and sent an RMA to NZXT, put I didn't take any pictures of proof of it not working in their "Cam" software, and that's required I guess. So I reconnected it and now we're here. I feel like I've forgotten everything about building a PC except for the basics in those 9 months. I also disconnected both of my fans, which the picture above shows what they were connected to. I'm trying to connect two new fans, and only have one connected currently. I connected this to my motherboard instead of the part that connects to the power supply. I'm wondering if this being plugged into the power supply makes the computer start but then immediately cancel. I don't think it's due to anything but my CPU cooler/CPU, PSU, and I also connected a new HDD, so that too.

Not quite sure about the rest, but you should make sure that you have a fan (preferably PWM) plugged into the cpu fan socket.  Depending on how anal the manufacturer is about it, they might not allow it to boot unless they're one plugged in. 

Not sure if that is the cause of all this or not, but you should make sure of it just to eliminate variables.

16 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

Not quite sure about the rest, but you should make sure that you have a fan (preferably PWM) plugged into the cpu fan socket.  Depending on how anal the manufacturer is about it, they might not allow it to boot unless they're one plugged in. 

Not sure if that is the cause of all this or not, but you should make sure of it just to eliminate variables.

Just plugged in both of my old fans, one of which doesn't work. The working one moved for a second and then turned off just like the Cooler is. The cooler also has 2 fans attached that should be working.

1 minute ago, JoeR said:

Just to clarify, do you only have working fans plugged into the cpu fan headers?

22 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

I just bought a new coolermaster fan, so that should be working (I also tested it with and without this) I've got two fans that came with the CPU cooler, and the pump is what broke, not the fans so that should be working fine. And then I have the two fans I have with the case, both not screwed in (I've tested with and without both of them, and with just the one that works). 

Ok so I unplugged the thing that connected to the PSU and the two original case fans, I'm gonna try that in a minute. Here's a picture of what's not plugged into anything, but both of these are from the case and shouldn't need to be plugged in, I don't think these have been plugged in for the past 9 months. The USB 2.0 is being occupied by my cooler on my motherboard, and this just allows USB passthrough on the top of my case (which I don't use or need since I have the motherboard USBs) and I think the HDMI is supposed to be used for VR somehow and I don't and never have used that, so it shouldn't need to be plugged in.

image.jpg

48 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

Okay it seems to be working, I think it's due to me unplugging my fan connector. Now my monitor isn't detecting my DisplayPort, so I'm gonna try switching to HDMI. But other than that, thanks everyone and especially JacobFW!