Vega 64 Being bottlenecked by i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz ?

Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
6 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

In your infinite wisdom can you show me where the cpu is actually hitting it's limits before the gpu? In the last screenshot BOTH of them are below their limits. So when we then look at the first screenshot and see that the GPU is able to hit 99% usage, we can determine that chances are low that it is actually the CPU bottlenecking the card.

A bottleneck is always going to be present regardless... however, from all the information being supplied so far this is not one related to the CPU.

Because one of the 20 some odd threads a game runs can block the rest.  If this happens, a CPU with 8 threads could be at below 30% usage and still be a bottleneck.  And with how Windows schedules threads, you will not see a single core ever hit 100%.  Ask anyone who had an FX rig and upgraded to a CPU with fewer cores for gaming.

You can try to minimize the issue (on Haswell at least)  by using DDR3 2133+.  In some games the main thread is very memory bandwidth or latency sensitive, so speeding up ram can help.  Fallout 4 is a good example of this, and it realizes massive performance gains from using faster memory.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:23 AM, KarathKasun said:

Because one of the 20 some odd threads a game runs can block the rest.  If this happens, a CPU with 8 threads could be at below 30% usage and still be a bottleneck.  And with how Windows schedules threads, you will not see a single core ever hit 100%.  Ask anyone who had an FX rig and upgraded to a CPU with fewer cores for gaming.

You can try to minimize the issue (on Haswell at least)  by using DDR3 2133+.  In some games the main thread is very memory bandwidth or latency sensitive, so speeding up ram can help.  Fallout 4 is a good example of this, and it realizes massive performance gains from using faster memory.

You talking about ram had me looking around and i found this,

your right looks like i could get away with simply buying better/faster ram for now without having to do a practically full system upgrade

The fps drops in the video are in the same places as i get them in witcher 3 with my old Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 C11 4x8GB stuff that's only 1600mhz due to the xmp profile.

Could be a faulty GPU, did you try to RMA it? maybe a PSU not sending enough power, try using a different 6+2 pin? Is it getting too hot? Maybe a reseat? Just a few more ideas...

7 minutes ago, Blacklotus84 said:

Could be a faulty GPU, did you try to RMA it? maybe a PSU not sending enough power, try using a different 6+2 pin? Is it getting too hot? Maybe a reseat? Just a few more ideas...

Thanks but i think i've found out my issue at this point, I think anyways haha. I'll update this if anything changes.

• 1 month later...

Update if anyone cares... I decided to get a new cpu, 32gb of ram and mobo, it appears as things are perfectly fine now. :P

41 minutes ago, iamcll said:

Update if anyone cares... I decided to get a new cpu, 32gb of ram and mobo, it appears as things are perfectly fine now. :P

did you ever use ddu on older system? just curious

and what did you end up getting?

21 hours ago, pas008 said:

did you ever use ddu on older system? just curious

and what did you end up getting?

What exactly do you mean ddu on older system ?  

And an i7 8700k 32gb of vengence3000mhz and a z370-A prime MOBO

5 minutes ago, iamcll said:

What exactly do you mean ddu on older system ?  

And an i7 8700k 32gb of vengence300mhz and a z370-A prime 

did you ever use ddu on your graphic drivers

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

and nice system

6 hours ago, pas008 said:

did you ever use ddu on your graphic drivers

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

and nice system

Yes i've removed them loads of times before using dif things each time. Never helped, And thanks haha :P

3 minutes ago, iamcll said:

Yes i've removed them loads of times before using dif things each time. Never helped, And thanks haha :P

Just asking if you used ddu to remove everything

Ran 4770k and now 8700k

Ddu is a must pretty much now days

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Just asking if you used ddu to remove everything

Ran 4770k and now 8700k

Ddu is a must pretty much now days

Not everything all the time but i have used it more than once for everything. I had to check if what was working or not at the time.

23 minutes ago, iamcll said:

Not everything all the time but i have used it more than once for everything. I had to check if what was working or not at the time.

Anyways enjoy your new system

But note 

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/page5.html

And

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3