Is 60Hz enough?

Hip

Hey guys,

I would like to buy some second monitor for casual gaming (squad,teso,battlefield) and mostly working (flicker free is the best option here).

My prefered panel type is IPS because of the nice colours so I found this Dell Monitor, but I'm not sure if 60Hz is still great because my old monitor has 75Hz and I worry about getting a less good monitor here.

So maybe one of you can tell me if there is a noticable difference between 60Hz and 75Hz? Or if the monitor I've mentioned is even good (if not I'd appreciate any recommendations from you).

Or should I even buy some 120Hz monitor instead?

My budget is like 350 USD max.

Thank you in advance!!9_9

On 3/26/2018 at 9:37 AM, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I would like to buy some second monitor for casual gaming (squad,teso,battlefield) and mostly working (flicker free is the best option here).

My prefered panel type is IPS because of the nice colours so I found this Dell Monitor, but I'm not sure if 60Hz is still great because my old monitor has 75Hz and I worry about getting a less good monitor here.

So maybe one of you can tell me if there is a noticable difference between 60Hz and 75Hz? Or if the monitor I've mentioned is even good (if not I'd appreciate any recommendations from you).

Or should I even buy some 120Hz monitor instead?

My budget is like 350 USD max.

Thank you in advance!!

Buy a 120hz monitor. Once you use 120hz there is no going back because it is so nice. Good luck!

Edited by AaronsDev
I had some spelling mistakes

I went from 100 Hz ultra wide down to 60 Hz because i wanted to try 4K, i ended up regretting it and i am now back to a 100Hz display, i will never go down in refresh rate again!

I am pretty sure you are going to notice 75hz down to 60hz and im even more sure you are going to regret it. just my two cents

1 minute ago, Groundedbeef said:

I went from 100 Hz ultra wide down to 60 Hz because i wanted to try 4K, i ended up regretting it and i am now back to a 100Hz display, i will never go down in refresh rate again!

I am pretty sure you are going to notice 75hz down to 60hz and im even more sure you are going to regret it. just my two cents

Can you recommend me a good monitor that fits my budet? :D

25 minutes ago, AaronsDev said:

Buy a 120 he monitor. Once you use 120hz there is no going back because it is so nice. Good luck!

Can you recommend me a monitor? =)

6 minutes ago, Hip said:

Can you recommend me a good monitor that fits my budet? :D

what size and resolution are you looking for?

No. No it is not.  I will never buy a sub 120Hz monitor ever again.

Another thing to consider is the multi monitor refresh rate bug on Windows 10. If you have displays with 2 different refreshes the higher one will become stuttery if there's any animation happening on the slower one. Not everyone is hit by this bug though.

1 hour ago, Groundedbeef said:

what size and resolution are you looking for?

I'd like to have 1440p or at least 1920*1200 (WUXGA). 24"-27".

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

No. No it is not.  I will never buy a sub 120Hz monitor ever again.

Another thing to consider is the multi monitor refresh rate bug on Windows 10. If you have displays with 2 different refreshes the higher one will become stuttery if there's any animation happening on the slower one. Not everyone is hit by this bug though.

Didn't know this before. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Groundedbeef said:

what GPU do you have?

GTX 1070 =)

7 minutes ago, Groundedbeef said:

but dunno if 1440p is overkill on a 24 inch

Just my opinion but this is a good guide for gaming re pixel density:

24    1080p

27    1440p

30+  2160p 

Personally I use a 32 1440p display and have no issues re the pixel density, I also need low input lag and high refresh rate and this wa smy only real option.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

1 hour ago, Groundedbeef said:

but dunno if 1440p is overkill on a 24 inch

Well if its a bit above my budget it's ok.

1 hour ago, ShoshinUK said:

Just my opinion but this is a good guide for gaming re pixel density:

24    1080p

27    1440p

30+  2160p 

Personally I use a 32 1440p display and have no issues re the pixel density, I also need low input lag and high refresh rate and this wa smy only real option.

Can you recommend any 1440p monitors that fit my budget too?

i got an HP omen 32 inch 1440p 75hz.  i think i got it for like 400cdn.   decent panel.

I had one of these and it was great for the money, from memory it overclocked to 70hz stable.

http://www.enligo.com/gb/en/iiyama-prolite-b2783qsu-b1-27-wide-quad-hd-tn-led-monitor--black/9946685a-2796-4999-b921-e0a4f9e5d2ef.html

Decent build, all the basic features and ok for a TN panel.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF