1151 coolers on 1151 v2?

Rhoban

Heyo, 

I'm planning on upgrading my CPU in a couple of months (after I get a GPU). 

Was thinking of getting some i5 or i7 coffee lake non K version

I've currently got a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. I heard Intel stock coolers are garbage, so I want to use this one. 

It's compatible with LGA 1151, but it doesn't mention 1151 v2. 

Are they the same size? 

Yes. 

1155, 1150, 1151 are all the same. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

YES, they are the EXACT SAME size and shape, the ONLY differences between the sockets are electrical trace differences, nothing that effects cooler mounting.

Awesome. Thanks! 

I'm an Intel noob. Had only AMD since I can remember. 

I advise not to run Air on 1151 maybe if you don't plan on Overclocking but otherwise yes it will have water. the d14 couldn't even stop some stuff wanting to go to 85-90c...but water will stop it...

Just now, JR88 said:

I advise not to run Air on 1151 maybe if you don't plan on Overclocking but otherwise yes it will have water. the d14 couldn't even stop some stuff wanting to go to 85-90c...but water will stop it...

thats more an issue with Auto Voltage more then anything, my 6700k at STOCK settings (4.0 Ghz, Auto Voltage) was pushing WAY higher voltage and temps then when I OVERCLOCKED to 4.5 Ghz and adjusted the voltage to the lowest stable voltage for that clock speed.

No man it was on the hotter side with the d14 at only 4.8ghz  at 5ghz I think Prime would of throttled it.

4 minutes ago, JR88 said:

No man it was on the hotter side with the d14 at only 4.8ghz  at 5ghz I think Prime would of throttled it.

i'm not saying water isn't a better choice, i'm saying one of the biggest issues out of box is the auto-voltage, of course when you are going for 5Ghz you either NEED a DELID with Liquid Metal or Water (or both) it's freaking 5 Ghz.

also OP said NON-K processors so no overclocking.

1 hour ago, JR88 said:

What? I built a 7700K rig using an H5 Ultimate, and the owner has never had any overheating problems. with it. I don't know what frequency he's shooting for, but air cooling works perfectly fine and exactly the same on any socket.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

8 hours ago, JR88 said:

I don't plan on overclocking. 

I'm well aware that it would require some solid cooling to OC the 8700k. But I don't really want to invest in some aio. Mostly because I don't really trust them enough not to leak.

Besides, I've got a 75Hz display. Won't go for those 100+ FPS. So stock frequency is more than sufficient right now.

11 hours ago, Rhoban said:

Besides, I've got a 75Hz display. Won't go for those 100+ FPS. So stock frequency is more than sufficient right now.

The others were just rambling nonsense/OT, but then you have to write this :D CPU has very little to do with fps and refresh rates.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv