How to listen to music with loudspeakers and get gaming sound from headset at once?

Hey guys,

I'd like to know how to set it up that I get my gaming sound in my headset and my music from firefox/spotify out of my loudspeakers.

I can't find any option in windows. So far I can use this or that.

(I have a soundcard ASUS Xonar DSX 7.1 - headset is plugged in there, loudspeaker sound comes from the on board soundcard)

Thanks in advance!!

Windows does not have such feature built-in.

Some applications allow you to choose the default output device, sadly Firefox and Spotify and most games do not have that.

You will need a third-party software that takes care of that.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

If your player has options to change your output then you could set it to output to your speakers and have system sounds going to your headphones. Otherwise most games allow you to set your output, so you could set the operating system sounds to your speakers and then set the game to output to your headphones. 

you can download asus sonic suite and control your sound using that (get it from your soundcards driver page)

1 minute ago, Hip said:

Can someone tell me exactly how to do this? :D

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

you need either an audio solution that allows you to redirect specific programs, or you need one of the things you want to split to support directly targeting a specific audio device.

Why every suggestion is so complicated

in realtek control panel, or software or menu or whatever you want to call it, when you plug headset usually it willl pop up

unfortunately I am not using realtek

in that menu, there's a option to deliver sound output to both rear and front panel jack

for example: you plug speaker on rear, and headset on front and it will deliver sound to both port.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

i tried that once, it was buggy as all hell, had more latency than even desirable when watching videos, and while having a broad range of features it feels incredibly lacking for the purpose described in this thread.

it works.. but its like sharpening the edge of a fork to cut your meat, at that point you're better off finding a knife.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

Why every suggestion is so complicated

in realtek control panel, or software or menu or whatever you want to call it, when you plug headset usually it willl pop up

unfortunately I am not using realtek

in that menu, there's a option to deliver sound output to both rear and front panel jack

for example: you plug speaker on rear, and headset on front and it will deliver sound to both port.

but you cant direct specific programs to specific places.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but you cant direct specific programs to specific places.

he is using ext soundcard, and yes you can do it if you enabled built in soundcard.

am I missing something here?

just set default ouput to internal since it will be used for firefox/spotifiy

and set the game audio to ext soundcard, voila.

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

he is using ext soundcard, and yes you can do it if you enabled built in soundcard.

am I missing something here?

just set default ouput to internal since it will be used for firefox/spotifiy

and set the game audio to ext soundcard, voila.

*if* the game supports sending audio to a specific sound card

this isnt something you can do on windows level, it is something you have to do on software level. and unfotunately most software lacks this feature.

look up audio splitter software for windows, its free. It lets you select which apps go through which device

Just now, manikyath said:

*if* the game supports sending audio to a specific sound card

this isnt something you can do on windows level, it is something you have to do on software level. and unfotunately most software lacks this feature.

What games are we talking about?
I mean even games from 2009 had option to send audio to specific card.

he is looking at windows option, not the game option.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

What games are we talking about?
I mean even games from 2009 had option to send audio to specific card.

he is looking at windows option, not the game option.

some games have done since the dawn of times, a hell of a lot (maybe even more in recent years..) dont.

3 minutes ago, MistaMac said:

look up audio splitter, its free. It lets you select which apps go through which device

that gets more hits than a bong at a stoner party.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

some games have done since the dawn of times, a hell of a lot (maybe even more in recent years..) dont.

How do you know what games he play? he hasn't reply yet. but the solution is that simple.

if the op want to software solution try this, it works for me, I don't know about you.

if you have another simple solution that works post it.

all these suggestion is too complicated.

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

How do you know what games he play? he hasn't reply yet. but the solution is that simple.

in my game library of ~132 games maybe 10-20 games support this feature, so chances are slim ;)