[Answered] Linux Kernel support for Hexa core Intel Core i5-8600K

Gentle folk at Linus Tech Tips; greetings.

Thank you to all who read this message and special thanks to anyone who chooses to reply. FYI, I did try to search for this, undoubtedly the information is out there in internet land, but I don’t know enough to focus my queries.

My question is similar to this thread:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/865605-which-operating-systems-will-the-core-i7-8700k-support/

I built a new computer out of parts, late February, 2018. I’m utilizing Linux Mint 18.3 w/ the Xfce GUI. I am experiencing a good bit of delay with response to typing. I have on numerous occasions typed an entire word before the word appears on screen, and I’m a two finger typist! Similarly, the mouse pointer is very difficult to control, often over shooting the place I intended to click. 

Here is a partial result of running the inxi –Fxz command:

System:    Host: <username>-Z370XP-SLI Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)

Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Machine:   System: Gigabyte product: Z370XP SLI v: Default string

Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z370XP SLI-CF v: x.x

Bios: American Megatrends v: F3 date: 09/06/2017

CPU:       Hexa core Intel Core i5-8600K (-MCP-) cache: 9216 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 43200

clock speeds: max: 4300 MHz 1: 3600 MHz 2: 3600 MHz 3: 3600 MHz

4: 3600 MHz 5: 3600 MHz 6: 3600 MHz

Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 3e92 bus-ID: 00:02.0

Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa)

Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz

GLX Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits)

GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

I have been lead to believe that the cause of the delay is due to the fact that the LM 18.3 Distro does not support this processor. Allegedly, the next release, Linux Mint 19.?

will support the processor, however over on the Linux Mint forums it was claimed that the release is still several months in the future.

Today, Saturday 24-Mar-18, I was at my dealer and was asking about supported processors. One of the techs said that there are Linux Distro’s that do support the

Hexa core Intel Core i5-8600K CPU.

I myself don’t know how or where to search for such information.  A search of the internet did find a review of that CPU, but precious little else.

If anyone might know how to find out if a given CPU is supported by an existing Linux Kernel. If anyone might know how to find out whose distro might be utilizing that Kernel, I should be grateful if you will share that knowledge.

Many thanks and respectfully, intellect of an Ox

I tried out Linux Mint as my main OS when I got my 8700k and the only thing that i had to fix was that the igpu wasn't enabled by default. I didn't have any problems like you are describing with the mouse over shooting or delayed typing. 

If you really want you could just try Ubuntu with kernal 4.15 which supports the 8th gen intel processors.

Jormungandr_Upp,

Well, I did run Ubuntu for a while, it got to feel like it was too bloated, however if it will support my processor, it would be worth switching back for a while. I will have to find out if the latest Ubuntu will allow me to use Xfce as my GUI.

Thank you for your reply, respectfully, Intellect of an Ox