PC shuts down when playing specific games.

GoldenEagle

Hello, everyone, recently my computer picked off this disturbing new act where it decides to shut down on certain games. For example, PUBG, I could be normally playing and all of a sudden the monitor goes black and the computer restarts, sometimes I have to perform this strange process where I need to manually shut down the PC, press the F10 key repeatedly for eight seconds, then the down arrow three times, and the enter key twice, because the monitor is not displaying anything. I could play Rainbow Six Siege for hours without crashing, but when it comes to Napoleon: Total War, then it shuts down as well, which I found weird.

I looked on the internet and came upon an article that suggested it could be a broken PSU or an overheated CPU. My graphics card is just fine, its a GTX 970 Gigabyte G1, and I can play on great quality, but this is starting to give me dread, what could it be? This never happened to me before. Thank you if you took the time to read all that.

TL;;DRComputer shuts down on certain games, is it broken PSU, overheated CPU, or something else?

10 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Hello, everyone, recently my computer picked off this disturbing new act where it decides to shut down on certain games. For example, PUBG, I could be normally playing and all of a sudden the monitor goes black and the computer restarts, sometimes I have to perform this strange process where I need to manually shut down the PC, press the F10 key repeatedly for eight seconds, then the down arrow three times, and the enter key twice, because the monitor is not displaying anything. I could play Rainbow Six Siege for hours without crashing, but when it comes to Napoleon: Total War, then it shuts down as well, which I found weird.

I looked on the internet and came upon an article that suggested it could be a broken PSU or an overheated CPU. My graphics card is just fine, its a GTX 970 Gigabyte G1, and I can play on great quality, but this is starting to give me dread, what could it be? This never happened to me before. Thank you if you took the time to read all that.

TL;;DRComputer shuts down on certain games, is it broken CPU, overheated CPU, or something else?

try seeing if its a temprature problem / a software problem ive had a friend with this same problem and it was caused by overheating

(if you have any overclocking enabled disable it and check if it solved your problem)

On 3/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, diogo_the_man said:

try seeing if its a temprature problem / a software problem ive had a friend with this same problem and it was caused by overheating

(if you have any overclocking enabled disable it and check if it solved your problem)

Temperatures are about 65C when playing a game, is the temperature the problem? Strangely, this time it refused to crash.

On 26/03/2018 at 4:26 AM, GoldenEagle said:

Temperatures are about 65C when playing a game, is the temperature the problem? Strangely, this time it refused to crash.

Possible what cpu do you have and cooler?

I have had this exact issue with my PSU, you can do normal operations and play certain games, but you are hitting you devices harder demanding more power. My issue was my PSU was under the recommended amount at the time, my stuff would turbo up and then black screen, the whole PC with instantly shutoff. Sometimes it would restart itself, sometimes I would have to fight with it. 

Temperatures are easy to track down, NZXT Cam, Corsair Link, and many others can all actively warn you of heating issues on any device that has a temperature probe. Do what I had a client due and run Afterburner and check the temps manually while playing a game. If your at 65C then I highly doubt you have a thermal issue. 

If it is temps then they are going to be HOT very HOT, otherwise GPU Boost and CPU throttling will kick in and just cause performance issues. I had a AIO cooler fail at the pump and the CPU got to 90C but still kept going, the only reason I noticed it was an LED on the board that showed overheating issues were happening. The client had his PC crash because so much dust got sucked in the GPU it was throttling as much as it could before just shutting itself off as there was no airflow to the card. 

What PSU do you have, and what is your recommended power requirements?  I would be more inclined to look there. 

In order of most likely first:

1. Try memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ (make a usb boot stick with Rufus and boot from it, and let at least a full pass go over it.
    1. if errors found, try reseating memory into motherboard and test again.
  2. What wattage is your PSU?
    1. If a low wattage like less then 600 watt PSU, your Motherboard could be starving to deliver the 65 watt power over the PCI-E bridge to the card.
    2. if say 650+ watt, then it could be that power delivery by the motherboard has issues (see point 4), due capacitors being bad etc. e
  3. Do you have windows 10? if so, download and install the newest driver (again).
    1. every "mayor" update M$ is messing with the drivers of NVidia, and problems ensue.

Can you test the video-card in another computer with the same game(s) that gave issues?

Like everyone else that has replied, it does sound like a PSU issue. If your PSU is rated to give you enough power...

Just a suggestion, since I've made this mistake before... It doesn't hurt to check if all your cable connections are firmly locked in. I was also having the same issue and swore there was something wrong with the hardware or settings and it turned out that one of connectors to the PSU had just popped out due to tension from the way I cable managed.