XFX DD R9 290(X) Great looks but bad personality?

Ashaira

I heard that XFX has a lot of problems related with Coil whining, it's that right?

Nice, plain, black card

I'd avoid XFX, used more than 5 of their cards in build because people like how they look but Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and others are better.  I do like that the logo on this card lights up though :P

how about when its upside down and not visible when in a case?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

That thing is beautiful...I still need a gpu for my recently completed build and this would look amazing in it. Hopefully the card turns out to be alright. 

Looks awesome :)

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

I think that just looks plain and cheap. :) Waiting for DirectCU II.

I'm sure someone has already stated this but:

XFX usually has two editions of their cards, the regular and Black Edition cards. The Black Editions are usually marginally more expensive and are pre-overclocked.

However, they are the same cards, with different clock settings in their bios, you can get the regular edition and save yourself a few bucks and OC it yourself and get all of the performance of the Black Edition.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I heard that XFX has a lot of problems related with Coil whining, it's that right?

Nice, plain, black card

My brother has and XFX 7850, I can't hear any, and my friend hasn't said anything about his, so I'm guessing it's very limited.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

The revision of the a lot of the cards are locked, but if you have a revision  that is older, then the voltages are unlocked. XFX has done this for a long time, so to start off with, the voltages will more then likely be unlocked and the more versions that come after will have limitations. It sucks and honestly I do not know why they do this.

They do it because they have a lifetime warranty, they don't want you frying cards and sending them in to get a new one. It's damage control.

- 7 Heatpipes

- Copper base

- Direct connect to GPU for maximum cooling efficient in collaboration with the 7 heat pipes

- Ghost 2.0 Thermal Design

- Open thermal for maximum airflow and designed to take the weight stress away from the PCB to ensure safer shipping.

- Significant DB Level reduction Vs AMD own build

- 32dB Vs AMD 57dB

- Idle DB level ONLY 15dB to 20 dB

- Whisper quiet.

- Dual Double Dissipation 90mm Fans

- Providing superior cooling performance under especially under gaming conditions

- Lower temperature under 3D 85c Vs AMD 95c

- Dual XFX Bios - Voltage unlocked

- allowing the end user to adjust the GPU voltage, DRAM voltage and VDDCI voltage by themselves

- Allowing great over clocking or even under clocking

- Digital Power

- Providing a clean voltage signals that are more stable and accurate then conventional analogue designs (allowing faster and more accurate adjustments when you OC)

- All solid capacitors and 6 Phase Power

- this ensures a lower temperature by as much as 20% on the power IC modules

- Ensuring stable power flow to the GPU all of the time.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33480-xfx-showed-r9-290x-with-in-the-house-made-cooler

Great news !

I'd avoid XFX, used more than 5 of their cards in build because people like how they look but Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and others are better.  I do like that the logo on this card lights up though :P

Why do you avoid? Reason?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

how about when its upside down and not visible when in a case?

You can still see the side of the card, why would you want something ugly in your case even if you can't see it all the time?

Why do you avoid? Reason?

Half of their cards I've used have been faulty in some way and the ones I've had have been terrible overclockers.  I've probably just been really unlucky but because of those reasons I personally wouldn't buy an XFX card again.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Nice, plain, black card

Ive not had a problem with coil whine, im fine with anything, fan noise, no problem, pc on fire, no problem. Coil whine, we have a problem. No noticeable whining here, then again i could be an anomaly, its the first xfx product ive got.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You can still see the side of the card, why would you want something ugly in your case even if you can't see it all the time?

Half of their cards I've used have been faulty in some way and the ones I've had have been terrible overclockers.  I've probably just been really unlucky but because of those reasons I personally wouldn't buy an XFX card again.

In not saying to not have the glow thing, I'm saying they should have been smart enough to put ït on the backplate

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Wow, didn't exepct it from XFX. They produce very high quality PSU's. 

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

The cooler does look really nice, but I don't think it tops MSI's Twin Frozr, or the Nvidia 780ti stock cooler. None of those even come close to water cooling!

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Wow, didn't exepct it from XFX. They produce very high quality PSU's. 

I agree, I love their PSU's but their graphics cards just don't cut it for me anymore.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It looks really cool, I have to say. But I don't see the point of having a logo lighting up like that, if it's not going to be seen in most cases. It will only pronounce the cables in the bottom, which might not be a good thing, unless you got nice cables...

It's like they spend so much time designing something that will never be seen. I think they would've been better off going with nvidias approach; having the logo on the side, where its visible. 

That is a pretty sexy card, however I think I will stick with Asus cards. (Slightly a Fanboy :))

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I've personally got a XFX 7950 DD non black and it's awesome! I was able to clock it at 1ghz stable and also it looks nerdgasmic, and now this. I don't think I can stop looking at it..... I think I'm in love  :wub:

My card has bad personality she never talks with me, but it's fine.

but bad personality

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

i think that card looks very nice. I have previously had XFX cards when they were producing for Nvidia and would have no qualms in purchasing from them at all.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

I have only had problems with both the 6850 and 7950... Coil whine, bad cooling, HORRIBLE overclockability... :( The cards look sexy as hell, but performs like a sick squirrel with an arm missing!