Where can I obtain large quantities of the screws used in computer building?

john01dav

Hello,

I have a largish set of parts that I often swap around to build a computer relevant to whatever it is I want to do in that moment. Unfortunately, however, over the years, most of the necessary screws have gotten lost. As such, I would like to buy large quantities of the kinds of screws that go into a motherboard standoff (which also seem to be the same kind that fit all the case side panels I have), and the longer screws that are used in stock cooler AM3+ socket mounting (most of my parts are based on this, and I use them for non-gaming workloads where the lackluster performance of such an old CPU lineup is perfectly fine). I have no idea where to buy these screws from, however, or even what the correct name for them is so I can try to find places to buy them. I am looking to get as many as I can of these two kinds of screws for around US$10, and I would greatly appreciate recommendations on where to do so. I even went into a home depot with samples of the kinds of screws I am looking for, and the employees there were very confused by them, and said they wearn't anything they carried.

Thank you

Note: I am presently in a ruralish area where there aren't many stores (ie. micro center, best buy) available within a reasonable distance, so online options with reasonably quick shipping are preferred.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I did the same search, and I actually got one of those kits a few years ago, and it has many screws that don't fit anything I have, with only a few of the correct type. I am looking to get a bunch of the correct type (that go into motherboard standoffs), and none of the useless ones.

If you know the screw type you are looking for then a site like https://www.mcmaster.com/ will be much cheaper for greater quantity.

The Fleet List

Spoiler

Galactica - Main PC - Intel 5960X, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Titan X, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850Pro 2TB..Triple Monitors and Watercooled in a Corsair 750D Running Windows 10
Destiny - HTCP - Intel i5 6400, 16GB Corsair Vengence LXP, Corsair SF450 PSU, Asus Strix H720I Gaming MOBO, Corsair MP500 240GB SSD in a Node 202 running Ubuntu Server for PLEX and other home theatre tools.

UNSC Forward Unto Dawn - iPad Pro 12inch

USS Daedalus - 2015 Mac Book Air

Colonial Viper - Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Resurrection Hub - Synology DS1818+ with 5 WD Red 4TB Drives

Works in Progress... Threadripper ... Ryzen 5 ... Radio Station Servers

11 minutes ago, kanesmadness said:

If you know the screw type you are looking for then a site like https://www.mcmaster.com/ will be much cheaper for greater quantity.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a motherboard screw on that website. Is there some resource explaining what the correct names for all the various screws are?

I personally just took all the screws from a bunch of old computers a local company threw out, it's great because it's free

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, john01dav said:

I am having a lot of trouble finding a motherboard screw on that website. Is there some resource explaining what the correct names for all the various screws are?

It depends on the case, what screws are used. I've had case that use M3 thread sized standoffs and screws for MB, but another one used those 'murican 6/32" UNC type standoffs and screws. So its really a gamble to know what screws to use, but most commonly theese are the two styles used in pc's(from my experience) - M3 and 6/32".

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |

@john01dav try this https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rounded-head-screws/=1c4bdzs or this https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rounded-head-screws/=1c4beqv and just work out how long you want them.

So long as its Phillips Pan Head in the sizes @RicY mentioned you should be ok...its also gonna be way cheaper this way.

There might even be a specialized "Fastener" store somewhere in your area you could try if you don't want to risk it online. 

The Fleet List

Spoiler

Galactica - Main PC - Intel 5960X, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Titan X, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850Pro 2TB..Triple Monitors and Watercooled in a Corsair 750D Running Windows 10
Destiny - HTCP - Intel i5 6400, 16GB Corsair Vengence LXP, Corsair SF450 PSU, Asus Strix H720I Gaming MOBO, Corsair MP500 240GB SSD in a Node 202 running Ubuntu Server for PLEX and other home theatre tools.

UNSC Forward Unto Dawn - iPad Pro 12inch

USS Daedalus - 2015 Mac Book Air

Colonial Viper - Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Resurrection Hub - Synology DS1818+ with 5 WD Red 4TB Drives

Works in Progress... Threadripper ... Ryzen 5 ... Radio Station Servers