Would it be good to stick with Intel?

I had honestly set my heart on getting a Ryzen series CPU in a year or two, but might it be better to stay with Intel?

For an Intel system I wouldn't get as many cores on the mainstream platforms, but the IPC is a little higher (against gen 1 Ryzen atleast) and from what I know with turbo they can often reach higher clock speeds. Just looking at the i5 8400 (one I probably would get) it has such a low base at 2.8 GHz, but it turbos to 3.8 on all 6 cores which is higher than my Ivy Bridge turbos on 4 cores. And thanks to Ryzen the i5 8400 only costs ~170 bucks.

On an intel system I wouldn't need to worry about comparing RAM speeds as long as they're probably 2133 or 2400 or something like that. Scrolling though Newegg there seems to be a lot more motherboard options as well.

Although I did hear Intel chips run hot because the thermally conductive material they use to transfer the heat is low quality. 

Not sure about PCIe lanes though. What's coffee lake got for that? AFAIK AM4 has 24 lanes.

You're not building for a year or two? There will be 2-3 processor generations by then. Who knows what will be the best value then.

In a year or two, Ryzen won't be the best value. Perhaps an offspring of Ryzen, but not it. There's no way to tell what'll be best.

You also have to question what you'd use the computer for. Generally, Intel has better chips for gaming over AMD.

There's no good way to plan a build out over a year in advance. I'd say at most ~4 months.

Hell, in 2019, DDR5 RAM may be getting released (if it advances slightly ahead of "schedule").

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, DarkStang said:

You're not building for a year or two? There will be 2-3 processor generations by then. Who knows what will be the best value then.

I was just saying that it was my initial plan. I could upgrade now to something like the 8400 and save myself some waiting.

I'd say wait until we can see the full performance of Ryzen 2. 9th gen is still probably around a year or two away so base your decision on the performance on Ryzen 2. Keep in mind that Ryzen speeds depend heavily on memory speeds and the chips are also less optimized for, athough optimization is picking up as more and more people buy the processors.

Ask your question again in year or two when you're getting ready to buy. The available options will be different.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I was just saying that it was my initial plan. I could upgrade now to something like the 8400 and save myself some waiting.

With memory and GPU prices do high, I wouldonly recommend upgrading now if you only needed a CPU and motherboard.

11 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

In a year or two, Ryzen won't be the best value. Perhaps an offspring of Ryzen, but not it. There's no way to tell what'll be best.

You also have to question what you'd use the computer for. Generally, Intel has better chips for gaming over AMD.

There's no good way to plan a build out over a year in advance. I'd say at most ~4 months.

Hell, in 2019, DDR5 RAM may be getting released (if it advances slightly ahead of "schedule").

Thanks for advice.

I filled that poll out for you in your sig as well.

Maybe I should forget a year or two and just get the new Ryzen 2000s coming out in about a month. They supposedly have really good idle power consumption with higher clocks and IPC.

52 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Thanks for advice.

I filled that poll out for you in your sig as well.

Maybe I should forget a year or two and just get the new Ryzen 2000s coming out in about a month. They supposedly have really good idle power consumption with higher clocks and IPC.

All current cpus have great idle power consumption. I wouldnt base my judgement on that. Even the power hungry core i9 do

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Yeah in 2 years start reading up on all the intel and amd cpus on the market at the time.We have no real idea what will be on the market then or the speeds and all the specs that matter.