What type of monitor is better

JagdPanzer

I'm looking for a monitor for Gaming. I have a budged of 350-400$ so I wanted to ask a few things.

--https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cvM9WD--

-Should I get a 4k 60Hz monitor for gaming or 144hz with a 1440p resolution?

-Is ultra wide that good compared to a regular monitor?

-What are your recommendations for that price?

I think you should get the 144hz monitor with the 1440p resolution. The 144hz will make games look smooth and a lot smoother than 60hz. Ultra wide is pretty good and is basically a step up from multiple monitors. I recommend this Asus PB277Q monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7TrcCJ/asus-pb277q-270-75hz-monitor-pb277q I have never personally used it but it looks like a great monitor and it gets decent reviews. Good luck!

It would depend on what type of games you play. Competitive games like CSGO benefit from high refresh rate while games that are more cinematic tend to be better experienced in 4K. Ultrawide is good but note that not all game HUDs scale well with the 16:9 format. 

Edit: Also, at $400, the ultrawide selection is limited to 1080p. This is my suggestion, a monitor that's 2560x1440p 165Hz with G-Sync but the trade off is that it is not IPS.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Added more notes and suggestion.

144hz 1440p is an excellent middle ground, good at everything without having any glaring issues

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, AaronsDev said:

Ultra wide is pretty good and is basically a step up from multiple monitors.

if you don't multitask and running games fullscreen OR being productive is what you do - yes

but if you do both at the same time, like run a game fullscreen AND need to keep an eye on other programs like streaming software or browser/chat windows - i don't agree

with multiple monitors you can have a game full screen on one monitor and still see stuff on the other monitor while with a single ultrawide, the whole screen is occupied.

if i could have something like a 3460 x 1440 ultrawide that can be switched between showing up to the os as one single display or a 2560 x 1440 AND a 900 x 1440 display and each side can be driven independently - that would be awesome

After looking I end up with this Pixio and Asus monitors. I have never heard of Pixio is it a good brand and which would you recommend?

I see the Pixio has more Hz but I never heard of the brand

What cpu and gpu do you have now?

1440p is quite a demanding resolution, so if you have an older computer you might get some fps-problems.

I would say a GTX1060 and Core i3/i5 or Ryzen 5 is minimum for a screen like that.

3 hours ago, knorren said:

What cpu and gpu do you have now?

1440p is quite a demanding resolution, so if you have an older computer you might get some fps-problems.

I would say a GTX1060 and Core i3/i5 or Ryzen 5 is minimum for a screen like that.

I post the parts on that link in the post. Right now im in a laptop and planing to upgrade to a desktop this week. For right now I just would like to know if the pixio monitor is good since I have never heard of that brand. My other option is the Asus but it has a 75hz refresh rate 

22 hours ago, JagdPanzer said:

I post the parts on that link in the post. Right now im in a laptop and planing to upgrade to a desktop this week. For right now I just would like to know if the pixio monitor is good since I have never heard of that brand. My other option is the Asus but it has a 75hz refresh rate 

I've never heard of them before and there is almost no info about them anywhere.

It's a korean brand and according to their website, a company made by "hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers".

Their monitors seems pretty cheap compared to other brands. The only place I found something about them was Reddit and there it says it's about a "hit and miss" if you get a good product, so just try it out and if it's bad, just send it back. ;)