CPU overheating, Why?

Undertaker225

I hope this is the correct place for this topic. I have noticed in my little brother's computer that the CPU temperatures are reaching 60 degrees Celsius on idle and upwards of higher 80's. I thought originally to replace the thermal compound. I had done so without any major improvement barring a few degrees. I was wondering if anyone could come up with any theories as to why this might happen.

Admittedly, the computer has shut off due to what I expect to be overheating as there was no BSOD or anything of the sorts. Any theories are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just gonna give a list of possible causes some of them mighy be dumb etc but just trying to help :D

1. Too much dust in heatsink

2. Broken fan ?

3. Maybe the temperature sensors gone crazy

4. Internal compound under the lid is gone ?

if its idling that high then it sounds more like the heat sink isnt mounted properly. Thats the most common issue with high idle temps on air. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what system is this?

This is an AMD FX system, custom build.

7 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

Just gonna give a list of possible causes some of them mighy be dumb etc but just trying to help :D

2. Broken fan ?

1. Just cleaned it with Isopropyl Alcohol and re-applied thermal compound.

2. Fan is operating properly, or at least it's spinning at a speed where I can't count rotations without help from software.

3. Perhaps, but that wouldn't explain the random shut-offs.

4. Just re-applied with some pretty premium stuff.

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

if its idling that high then it sounds more like the heat sink isnt mounted properly. Thats the most common issue with high idle temps on air. 

Thought about that too, however, I have remounted it a couple of times, each time re-applying thermal compound just to rule out both the thermal compound and heat-sink sitting. Is it possible that if the CPU was damaged through time when it shut-off that it is not runs hot because of a short of some sort by heat-warping?

11 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

I hope this is the correct place for this topic. I have noticed in my little brother's computer that the CPU temperatures are reaching 60 degrees Celsius on idle and upwards of higher 80's. I thought originally to replace the thermal compound. I had done so without any major improvement barring a few degrees. I was wondering if anyone could come up with any theories as to why this might happen.

Admittedly, the computer has shut off due to what I expect to be overheating as there was no BSOD or anything of the sorts. Any theories are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

2. Broken fan ?

The thermal compound under the lid is possible if it is a non soldered IHS, if the cpu was having issues itself it could also be a damaged cpu. OR a really bad heat sink but like 60c on idle is very bad. 

overclocked?

Main Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2- 4.3 ghz 1.390V CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Motherboard:  Asus x99-E LGA 2011-3 RAM: 32GB DDR4 4 x 8 GB Hyperx Fyru 2133 Mhz Storage: Intel 535 240 GB SSD, Intel 530 240 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2.0 TG SSHD  GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC cooled by an NZXT G10 & Intel TS13X running @ 1904/2126mhz and 4475mhz Memory+Stock Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC Case: INWin GR One Power Supply: Corsair HX850i Monitor: Hitach 49" 4k lowms TV and a 24 AOC 1080p Monitor Keyboard:  Corasir Vengance K90 & Logitech G13 Speedpad Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO/G602 on an Icemat 2.0 w/glides :P Speakers: LG LAS455H(D8) Soundbar & Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Edition Headphones

NAS/CS:GO Server

CPU: AMD FX8320 Stock Cooler: Corsair H100i M otherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 REV 2.0 RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengance Storage: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD & 4 X Seagate 2 TB SSHD
GPU: random nvidia 512 mb card PSU: Coolermaster B500 Case: NZXT Phantom S240 Addons: NZXT LXE Fancontrol Intel quad gigabit eterhernet card.

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

The thermal compound under the lid is possible if it is a non soldered IHS, if the cpu was having issues itself it could also be a damaged cpu. OR a really bad heat sink but like 60c on idle is very bad. 

Say it were a damaged CPU component, how would one be able to narrow that down to be sure?

Thanks again for the help.

1 minute ago, Mrchooow said:

overclocked?

No, I don't mess with overclocking. It's for my little brother (13) , he won't be able to tell the difference anyways.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what cooler?

Stock cooler. But I have never seen a stock cooler run at that temperature at idle. I would understand it being a little hotter, but 60's for idle?

40 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Stock cooler. But I have never seen a stock cooler run at that temperature at idle. I would understand it being a little hotter, but 60's for idle?

60s for idle is very odd, Unless it really is just a bad sensor, if the cpu thought it was really hot it would still shut down even if it was not actually hot. If the heat sink is getting really hot at idle then it could be a bad cpu, if the heat sink is mostly cold that it could be a sensor or just a really bad heatsink. Computers are annoying in that every issue has a large number of possible causes. 

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

60s for idle is very odd, Unless it really is just a bad sensor, if the cpu thought it was really hot it would still shut down even if it was not actually hot. If the heat sink is getting really hot at idle then it could be a bad cpu, if the heat sink is mostly cold that it could be a sensor or just a really bad heatsink. Computers are annoying in that every issue has a large number of possible causes. 

Yeah, that's what I am starting to realize. xD I think my current plan, since I have, in my belief, completed the realistic troubleshooting steps, is to replace the CPU/motherboard. Would you agree with this step, or do you think that there would be a better resolution prior to calling it quits on the CPU?

3 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Yeah, that's what I am starting to realize. xD I think my current plan, since I have, in my belief, completed the realistic troubleshooting steps, is to replace the CPU/motherboard. Would you agree with this step, or do you think that there would be a better resolution prior to calling it quits on the CPU?

Hold on, Did you check the temperature reading in the bios or just in software in the OS

30 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Hold on, Did you check the temperature reading in the bios or just in software in the OS

I used a third-party program to detect the CPU temperature.

Sorry for the delayed response. College is killer.

did you evert get this sorted out?

Main Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2- 4.3 ghz 1.390V CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Motherboard:  Asus x99-E LGA 2011-3 RAM: 32GB DDR4 4 x 8 GB Hyperx Fyru 2133 Mhz Storage: Intel 535 240 GB SSD, Intel 530 240 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2.0 TG SSHD  GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC cooled by an NZXT G10 & Intel TS13X running @ 1904/2126mhz and 4475mhz Memory+Stock Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC Case: INWin GR One Power Supply: Corsair HX850i Monitor: Hitach 49" 4k lowms TV and a 24 AOC 1080p Monitor Keyboard:  Corasir Vengance K90 & Logitech G13 Speedpad Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO/G602 on an Icemat 2.0 w/glides :P Speakers: LG LAS455H(D8) Soundbar & Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Edition Headphones

NAS/CS:GO Server

CPU: AMD FX8320 Stock Cooler: Corsair H100i M otherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 REV 2.0 RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengance Storage: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD & 4 X Seagate 2 TB SSHD
GPU: random nvidia 512 mb card PSU: Coolermaster B500 Case: NZXT Phantom S240 Addons: NZXT LXE Fancontrol Intel quad gigabit eterhernet card.