Ethernet Switch works until i connect 2nd device

ThatGreg

Hello

I just bought this

https://www.frys.com/product/6288820?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

(i was thinking it was an error with the way i inserted the ethernet cables into the switch but theres no dedicated uplink port)

and its working great with my pc, but when I try to connect my ps4 to the internet via ethernet both my ps4 and pc arn't able to connect to the internet.

How do  i get it to work for both devices at the same time?

thanks

There is no "uplink" port on any proper switch, and there shouldn't be anything you have to do in order for both devices to work.

1. If the PS4 is connected without the computer, does it get online?
  2. Is the link light for each connection Amber, or Green?
  3. Perform the Cable Diagnostics test per page 12 of the manual (ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DGS-1005G/REVA/DGS-1005G_MANUAL_1.10_EN.PDF) with all 3 wires (Router, PC, and PS4) connected, and make sure that all 3 ports are green during the test.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

16 minutes ago, brwainer said:

There is no "uplink" port on any proper switch, and there shouldn't be anything you have to do in order for both devices to work.

1. If the PS4 is connected without the computer, does it get online?
  2. Is the link light for each connection Amber, or Green?
  3. Perform the Cable Diagnostics test per page 12 of the manual (ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DGS-1005G/REVA/DGS-1005G_MANUAL_1.10_EN.PDF) with all 3 wires (Router, PC, and PS4) connected, and make sure that all 3 ports are green during the test.

So I tested connection with the PS4 with the pc still connected with the ethernet cable (pc was off), and the ps4 still didnt connect to the internet.

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the switch to the pc and the ps4 was able to connect to the internet. (only thing connected)

I left the ps4 on and connected to the internet, then i plugged in my pc to the switch and now they both dont have internet.

(do you think this might be happening because Im connecting the switch directly into the ethernet wall port as i am in university with no router) im u dont think theres a solution, ill just contact IT support. thanks for trying!

This sounds like an IP address conflict, most likely your devices are receiving or using the same address that they are getting from the university switch, which is why they work individually but not when connected to the unmanaged switch you purchased. You could also be using a static IP, which can be determined by looking at the IP settings for your network adapter on the PC or PS4. If you want both devices to be connected to the internet at the same time, you would most likely need to purchase a router instead of the switch. Connect the internet (WAN) port of the router to the wall jack, then connect your PC and PS4 to the LAN ports, and configure the router to assign IP addresses via DHCP. If the connection to the PC is using a static IP, that would be set as the default gateway for the router.

18 minutes ago, ThatGreg said:

So I tested connection with the PS4 with the pc still connected with the ethernet cable (pc was off), and the ps4 still didnt connect to the internet.

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the switch to the pc and the ps4 was able to connect to the internet. (only thing connected)

I left the ps4 on and connected to the internet, then i plugged in my pc to the switch and now they both dont have internet.

(do you think this might be happening because Im connecting the switch directly into the ethernet wall port as i am in university with no router) im u dont think theres a solution, ill just contact IT support. thanks for trying!

you didn't specify that you were connecting it to a walljack at a university. They probably have a protection against more than one device being connected as a time, because switches (more specifically wireless access points and routers) are a big vulnerability. You'll probably have more luck using a router (but turn the wireless off because that's probably not allowed! or get a wired-only router). Otherwise, you can ask the campus IT what they recommend for connecting more than one wired device.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: