What ISP should I get?

Hi! I have been using lately my 10GB restricted hotspot which is not nice, and the speed is different from PDAnet+. Anyways, I want to get home wifi so I can get better ping and more download speed (10-70 ping and 3-5mbps download) but I do not know which ISP to get for the money. Just in case my area is FiOS elegible. The problem is I don't have a router, which for Verizon costs $150 (Really? $150? Ffs). The 100/100mbps plan for FiOS (39.99) seems good but the router's price ruins it. I know I can get a router on Amazon for 50 less (100$) but they say that they will not install the router or help me if it does not meet the expectations. Cox is like 10 dollars more monthly I think and it doesn't even run at 100mbps. I would like to get 75 or more Mbps if I can for the price. I can't pay 50 monthly for now. Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

wait, you have a choice?!

Tons of people only have one ISP because of monopolies. 

Go with verizon fios and buy the router off amazon. I've heard they are at least better than cox.

Well the other company is probably owned by Verizon and only there to give the illusion of choice, the american internet is so screwed up.

Verizon!

Or move to Canada and get 150/150 for 53 canadian rupees a month off telus lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

wait, you have a choice?!

Tons of people only have one ISP because of monopolies. 

Go with verizon fios and buy the router off amazon. I've heard they are at least better than cox.

Thank you, I did not even had an ISP for home router's in my Homeland, when I moved to the USA I finally had options, I only had mobile thetering which was decent. If I get the router off Amazon can I set it up myself? And if I can, please provide me steps written/video it doesn't matter if it's written or in video.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Verizon!

Or move to Canada and get 150/150 for 53 canadian rupees a month off telus lol

I would love to go Canada but am recently arrived to the US ; ).

11 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Hi! I have been using lately my 10GB restricted hotspot which is not nice, and the speed is different from PDAnet+. Anyways, I want to get home wifi so I can get better ping and more download speed (10-70 ping and 3-5mbps download) but I do not know which ISP to get for the money. Just in case my area is FiOS elegible. The problem is I don't have a router, which for Verizon costs $150 (Really? $150? Ffs). The 100/100mbps plan for FiOS (39.99) seems good but the router's price ruins it. I know I can get a router on Amazon for 50 less (100$) but they say that they will not install the router or help me if it does not meet the expectations. Cox is like 10 dollars more monthly I think and it doesn't even run at 100mbps. I would like to get 75 or more Mbps if I can for the price. I can't pay 50 monthly for now. Thank you in advance.

Verizon uses a MOCA router, its not a type of router that is sold at stores generally. The router does internet and TV which is why its special. I have heard that Verizon does use Ethernet on their ONT if you sub to speeds 100 Mbps or greater. So there is a chance that you could use your own router, or dont sub to TV service. The fact is I have read about many customers on the Verizon network using their own routers with out any trouble. While Verizon wont help you setup a customer owned router, neither would any ISP in the US. ISP's want you to use their stuff because it makes it easy for them to troubleshoot. But you should be able to use your own router. That being said, Verizon FIOS is Fiber to the home, which means in the terms of internet its the best. Cox is Fiber to the Node and copper to the home. Judging by those speeds from Cox, your area has not been upgraded yet. Many cable providers are upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1 which will allow Gigabit download speeds on cable internet. But those upgrades have kinda just started. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

I would love to go Canada but am recently arrived to the US ; ).

There's actually competition here, 150/150 for $40 USD/month lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Verizon uses a MOCA router, its not a type of router that is sold at stores generally. The router does internet and TV which is why its special. I have heard that Verizon does use Ethernet on their ONT if you sub to speeds 100 Mbps or greater. So there is a chance that you could use your own router, or dont sub to TV service. The fact is I have read about many customers on the Verizon network using their own routers with out any trouble. While Verizon wont help you setup a customer owned router, neither would any ISP in the US. ISP's want you to use their stuff because it makes it easy for them to troubleshoot. But you should be able to use your own router. That being said, Verizon FIOS is Fiber to the home, which means in the terms of internet its the best. Cox is Fiber to the Node and copper to the home. Judging by those speeds from Cox, your area has not been upgraded yet. Many cable providers are upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1 which will allow Gigabit download speeds on cable internet. But those upgrades have kinda just started. 

Thanks for the info. Also what kind of router I can get that is confirmed to work with FiOS? Also Cox does have pretty good speeds but for business (on a university close to the apartment I can get 800mbps down and 600mbps up).

Also please someone tell me how to set up a router.

2 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Thanks for the info. Also what kind of router I can get that is confirmed to work with FiOS? Also Cox does have pretty good speeds but for business (on a university close to the apartment I can get 800mbps down and 600mbps up).

Also please someone tell me how to set up a router.

If they provision the Ethernet port on the ONT any router, the key word there is router, not a modem/router, just a standard router. If they refuse the provision the Ethernet port on the ONT then you are stuck with what Verizon has. 

Also those speeds from Cox have to be fiber. Because normal Cable internet thru Coax CANT do uploads over 45 Mbps or so. And if it is Fiber, it will be EXPENSIVE. Comcast charges $1000 for install and $299 a month with 2 year contract for their 2 Gbps Fiber service. Cox is bound to charge a ridiculous price for it as most cable providers tend to do the same shit, charge for modems, Charge per TV box, Charge for HD, and raise prices twice a year. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If they provision the Ethernet port on the ONT any router, the key word there is router, not a modem/router, just a standard router. If they refuse the provision the Ethernet port on the ONT then you are stuck with what Verizon has. 

What do you mean with this? (Sorry I am very noob on network stuff) The three apartments (including mine) have three Verizon boxes outside that say "Verizon FiOS supported" or "Verizon FiOS enabled".

lol choice, ah the good old land of the monopolies, could be worst even though we have many choice here NBN(fibre) is still at hit and miss, still waiting for those lazy nbn bastards to install my NBN(FTTP) after 3 weeks of my house being build

lives on

BAKABT

28 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

What do you mean with this? (Sorry I am very noob on network stuff) The three apartments (including mine) have three Verizon boxes outside that say "Verizon FiOS supported" or "Verizon FiOS enabled".

An ONT coverts Fiber to Coax and Ethernet. Coax is primary used to give you TV service, but the Moca router they use also does internet. The Ethernet port allows you to connect any router to it. I dont know how service is installed. House and Apartments are different in terms of installation. As with Apartments the land lord has a lot of power in what can be done. For example the land lord might only have coax ran in to the apartment meaning that only the Verizon router would work. So it really depends on how service is setup. Thats something you need to speak with Verizon and or your land lord about. 

Also if you want Verizon to setup your router, you have to use theirs. For those people like myself who own their own equipment, its our responsibility to troubleshoot problems on our end. Thats just how it is. All ISP's in the US are this way. Which is why a great many people use the equipment supplied even though many ISP's make you pay a rental fee or buy the thing out right like Verizon. 

Oh and I did want to mention. You mentioned in your first post that you cant afford $50 a month for service. Keep in mind the $39.99 for Verizon service is with out taxes and fees. I sub to Comcast, we have to pay Broadcast TV fee, Sports Fee, Modem Rental fees (Unless you own your own), FCC regulation recovery fee, Sales Tax, Cable box rental fee, the city of Romulus gets a fee added as well. So that $39.99 can turn in to $80 really quick. Before we dropped Cable TV we payed at least $40 a month for TV boxes, before we dropped digital voice service we paid the $10 a month for Modem rental. All in all, the $120 a month plan which were  turned in to $160 a month  really quick. Most if not all Cable Co's, Phone Co's and Fiber providers charge these same fees. They might have different names, but all in all they bend you over with the below the line fees.