PSU or Harddrive making rattling

fixmypc

Something in my PC has been making a rattling noise since I got it, and didn't have the effort to check what it was till now. I know it wasn't my fans since I unplugged them all to make sure it still happened while my pc was running and before I got my graphics card in it made that noise. I have narrowed it down to harddrive or psu. It's obviously coming from that side of the pc, but I don't know which and am wondering if there is an easy fix without replacement since I'd really like to not have to go a week without the needed part if I need to ship it back to corsair or wherever.

Noise:

video (2).mov

I would try running your computer without the hard drive installed to narrow down which component is making the noise.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Also look at other factors like a graphics card fan. Mine makes an annoying tick below 25%

32 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Also look at other factors like a graphics card fan. Mine makes an annoying tick below 25%

like i already said, it made the noise before i plugged it in, but thanks for the comment

@Crunchy Dragon just reset my pc and unplugged it, it's the hard drive for sure.

Do you know of any solution I can use to make it stop without having to replace it. I don't want to have to transfer data.

That definitely sounds like an old hard drive. What model is it?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

16 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That definitely sounds like an old hard drive. What model is it?

western digital, it's from this year

I have a WD 4TB Gold and it makes some noise when i do a lot of writes to it in a short time but i'm not worried about it. Is yours making a lot of noise?

37 minutes ago, Jormungandr_Upphaf said:

I have a WD 4TB Gold and it makes some noise when i do a lot of writes to it in a short time but i'm not worried about it. Is yours making a lot of noise?

yes

2 hours ago, fixmypc said:

yes

Run this https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and see if any errors pop up is about all i can really say. Just noticed the vid and watched it. Ya, that doens't sound to good in my opinion. Anyone else care to chime in? Might wanna back up anything of importance on that drive in case it goes

6 hours ago, Jormungandr_Upphaf said:

Run this https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and see if any errors pop up is about all i can really say. Just noticed the vid and watched it. Ya, that doens't sound to good in my opinion. Anyone else care to chime in? Might wanna back up anything of importance on that drive in case it goes

I'll try that, I don't think my harddrive is failing though because I've used it since January and have had no problems besides the noise.

https://gyazo.com/45770c83f8580dcfbd5ba2e42d9eb682

results from test

Okay, I also took the test on western digital's website which told me it's fully working.