Is this Ryzen 5 1600X setup good for 1080p 144hz gaming?

mecx

I have built so many computers but since the prices of the components are very absurd I decided not to build a whole system and upgrade my own one because my GPU is not compatible for the games that I play anymore. I am going to get:

New:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

MBD: ASUS PRIME B350M-A DDR4 3200MHz+ (OC) USB 3.1

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GTX1070 Ti 8GB OC GDDR5 256Bit Nvidia DX12 RGB

Monitor(The one I am using at the moment is 60hz and I think I need a update for better quality): MSI Optix G27C2 27” 144hz 1ms Curved FreeSync LED

Case: EVEREST RAMPAGE PHANTOM 1x120mm FAN USB 3.0 ATX BLACK

Old ones I’ll use:

RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz(or 2400)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB that has my games and other stuff

SSD: Hi-Level Ultra Speed 120GB

PSU: DARK Force Series 600W

why 1600x over 1600. you can easily overclock the 1600 to similar to the 1600x.  for ram ryzen loves clock speed so definatly go higher and probably overclock.  you might also want a new psu just for relibality.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

3 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

why 1600x over 1600. you can easily overclock the 1600 to similar to the 1600x.  for ram ryzen loves clock speed so definatly go higher and probably overclock.  you might also want a new psu just for relibality.

So do you have any reccomendations for the PSU???

1 minute ago, mecx said:

So do you have any reccomendations for the PSU???

Whats the price you want budget or best bang for the buck. also modular or not modular.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

1 minute ago, showerhandle said:

Whats the price you want budget or best bang for the buck. also modular or not modular.

2 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

I found a Coolermaster Masterbox PRO 5

with a 700W 80plus case

Typically for high refresh rate gaming you would go with Intel over AMD simply because of higher IPC that is able to push more frames to the GPU. The only two high refresh rate systems that I've designed have been for a friend and my brother, both using Intel. When Ryzen launched it wasn't really capable of high refresh rate except for a few specific games. I don't know if this has changed recently or not.

In any case, rather than just going for a 144Hz monitor, I would strongly recommend looking at Freesync or Gsync for the titles that can't hit that frame rate so that you can keep that smoothness you are looking for.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion but Intel might be a better idea for high frame rate builds. Intel performs better in 1080p high fps builds.

Not at all, I agree. For the record, I also hate that Intel still hasn't launched their budget chipsets for their 8th gen even though we know full well that they have them ready to go. If the OP had been asking for anything other than high refresh rate gaming I would probably have recommended Ryzen.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

5 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

Probably going to be an unpopular opinion but Intel might be a better idea for high frame rate builds. Intel performs better in 1080p high fps builds.

I chose ryzen because it has a cooler. I dont have money left for a cooler and I dont really care about fan noise since I have noise-cancelling headphones.

2 minutes ago, mecx said:

I chose ryzen because it has a cooler. I dont have money left for a cooler and I dont really care about fan noise since I have noise-cancelling headphones.

What is your budget and where do you live?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

10 minutes ago, mecx said:

I found a Coolermaster Masterbox PRO 5

with a 700W 80plus case

it depends on what that 700W is but a new one will be better than that old one i just wouldn't trust it. if you got the cash a thermaltake smart 500w 80+ is a better low budget option.

Spoiler

Ryzen while much better than the previous AMD lines... still doesn't have the pure Single Thread power of intel. This means you will not see the high frame rates with Ryzen that you would with intel.

This all comes down to several key factors

• 15-20% lower IPC
  • 4.1ghz hard OC cap (without extreme cooling like ln2)
  • Highly dependant on 3,000mhz + DDR4 ram for decent performance (infinity fabric architecture related)

9 minutes ago, mecx said:

the i5-8400 comes with a cooler.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

19 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Typically for high refresh rate gaming you would go with Intel over AMD simply because of higher IPC that is able to push more frames to the GPU. The only two high refresh rate systems that I've designed have been for a friend and my brother, both using Intel. When Ryzen launched it wasn't really capable of high refresh rate except for a few specific games. I don't know if this has changed recently or not.

In any case, rather than just going for a 144Hz monitor, I would strongly recommend looking at Freesync or Gsync for the titles that can't hit that frame rate so that you can keep that smoothness you are looking for.

Not at all, I agree. For the record, I also hate that Intel still hasn't launched their budget chipsets for their 8th gen even though we know full well that they have them ready to go. If the OP had been asking for anything other than high refresh rate gaming I would probably have recommended Ryzen.

Do you have any intel drivers that are not too expensive and nice?

17 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

it depends on what that 700W is but a new one will be better than that old one i just wouldn't trust it. if you got the cash a thermaltake smart 500w 80+ is a better low budget option.

Okay. Which one? Smart PRO, Smart Digital or SMARTPOWER and by the way I  cant find any 500W ones the lowest one is a smartpower 550W 80+ bronze

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: *XFX - Radeon RX 580 4GB GTS XXX Edition Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.20 @ B&H)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($192.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $915.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-14 13:04 EDT-0400

I went with Intel because of high refresh rate, the 8400 comes with a cooler so there should be no problems there.

Motherboard was a Z370, because there is literally no other chipset to use right now.

I wasn't sure what RAM you had, it should matter much less on an Intel system than an AMD system anyway.

For the storage I just used place holders, I wasn't able to find the SSD that you have but I found a WD blue.

Video card I just let it pick from a filter, you can change that if you want but a 1060 or 580/480 should give you a decent frame rate. Things like E-sports don't use a lot of GPU power to begin with.

The SeaSonic unit should hold up perfectly fine, it's not the best unit but it's more than capable.

Monitor was chosen based on what the parametric filter for the GPU picked out. I opted for Freesync as a feature since it will make a noticeable difference in your gaming experience. If you go with an Nvidia card you should look at a Gsync monitor, though they are considerably more expensive.

I couldn't find your specific case on PCPP, but I did find it through google. It should work just fine.

24 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

What is your budget and where do you live?

I live in Turkey and my budget is around 7000TRY with other fees which make the pc at least 1000TRY more expensive.

7 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: *XFX - Radeon RX 580 4GB GTS XXX Edition Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.20 @ B&H)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($192.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $915.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-14 13:04 EDT-0400

I went with Intel because of high refresh rate, the 8400 comes with a cooler so there should be no problems there.

Motherboard was a Z370, because there is literally no other chipset to use right now.

I wasn't sure what RAM you had, it should matter much less on an Intel system than an AMD system anyway.

For the storage I just used place holders, I wasn't able to find the SSD that you have but I found a WD blue.

Video card I just let it pick from a filter, you can change that if you want but a 1060 or 580/480 should give you a decent frame rate. Things like E-sports don't use a lot of GPU power to begin with.

The SeaSonic unit should hold up perfectly fine, it's not the best unit but it's more than capable.

Monitor was chosen based on what the parametric filter for the GPU picked out. I opted for Freesync as a feature since it will make a noticeable difference in your gaming experience. If you go with an Nvidia card you should look at a Gsync monitor, though they are considerably more expensive.

I couldn't find your specific case on PCPP, but I did find it through google. It should work just fine.

So the thing is, i can still use my hdd, ram and ssd with the new system. The ram costs a lot but thats not a problem since I already have nice ones. I wanted to use the GTX 1070 Ti because there is not much price differnce with the 1070. I have been using a MSI Radeon R7 370 4G Edition and I wanted to get a much better card to not replace it anytime soon. I chose that monitor over a 240hz one since there is not much difference between 144 and 240hz. I still wanted a nice monitor that would look and feel elite.  The monitor already has Freesync tho, I couldnt understand that part of your reply.

41 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

Its not unpopular and I completely agree with you but I dont have that much of a budget since the prices are flying.

5 minutes ago, mecx said:

So the thing is, i can still use my hdd, ram and ssd with the new system. The ram costs a lot but thats not a problem since I already have nice ones. I wanted to use the GTX 1070 Ti because there is not much price differnce with the 1070. I have been using a MSI Radeon R7 370 4G Edition and I wanted to get a much better card to not replace it anytime soon. I chose that monitor over a 240hz one since there is not much difference between 144 and 240hz. I still wanted a nice monitor that would look and feel elite.  The monitor already has Freesync tho, I couldnt understand that part of your reply.

That was my mistake, I didn't notice that you already had a monitor picked out.

Can you enlighten me a bit about the current state of the GPU market in Turkey? Would a Vega 56 be unreasonable for you or no? If not that would be a good approach because then you get to keep your Freesync functionality while having a significantly better card.

As for everything else, I marked things you already owned as $0 in the parts list so you can basically ignore them. That was more for me to keep track of what was going on.

11 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

That was my mistake, I didn't notice that you already had a monitor picked out.

Can you enlighten me a bit about the current state of the GPU market in Turkey? Would a Vega 56 be unreasonable for you or no? If not that would be a good approach because then you get to keep your Freesync functionality while having a significantly better card.

As for everything else, I marked things you already owned as $0 in the parts list so you can basically ignore them. That was more for me to keep track of what was going on.

A VEGA 56 is worth a bit more than the 1070Ti. The GPU marketing is crazy here and the GPU is half of my budget if I want to buy a decent one. I found a AOC monitor that is worth less but its not good with my concept(I added it anyways). I have changed the parts and this is how it looks like:

CPU: Intel Core i5 8400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070Ti 8GB OC

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 500W 80 Plus Bronze

MBD: ASUS Z370-P 4000MHz(OC) 

Monitor: AOC AGON AG241QX 144hz 1ms Freesync 2K

Edited by mecx

15 minutes ago, mecx said:

A VEGA 56 is worth a bit more than the 1070Ti. The GPU marketing is crazy here and the GPU is half of my budget if I want to buy a decent one. I found a AOC monitor that is worth less but its not good with my concept(I added it anyways). I have changed the parts and this is how it looks like:

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 500W 80 Plus Bronze

Monitor: AOC AGON AG241QX 144hz 1ms Freesync 2K

A 1070ti would be fine, you would just loose the Freesync function of your monitor.

I would not recommend that PSU, generally try to avoid Thermaltake PSUs as much as possible. Look at Corsair or SeaSonic for the power supply. There is tier list below that we use for good power supplies. Anything from tier 1 to 3 should work just fine for you, don't go any lower than tier 4.

1 minute ago, DragonTamer1 said:

A 1070ti would be fine, you would just loose the Freesync function of your monitor.

I would not recommend that PSU, generally try to avoid Thermaltake PSUs as much as possible. Look at Corsair or SeaSonic for the power supply. There is tier list below that we use for good power supplies. Anything from tier 1 to 3 should work just fine for you, don't go any lower than tier 4.

Okay, I’ll get a monitor without freesync and use the money for a better psu then. I’ll send the other setup in a minute.

18 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

PSU: Corsair RMx Series 80 Plus Gold 750W Full Modular Power Suppy

Monitor: BenQ 24” XL2411 Zowie 144Hz 1ms Full HD Gaming LED Monitor

2 hours ago, mecx said:

PSU: Corsair RMx Series 80 Plus Gold 750W Full Modular Power Suppy

Monitor: BenQ 24” XL2411 Zowie 144Hz 1ms Full HD Gaming LED Monitor

Looks good to me.