FreeNAS GUI Internal Server Error

Go to solution Solved by alex75871,
5 hours ago, phongle123 said:

I have not tried this as I thought (from google) that it was an update failure. So IMO, I didn't think it was a broken access point. But I will give it a try.

^ Together v

So before I would add all 5 drives as separate drives and then raided them. Then create the Users, CIFs, etc. to have a folder that has access (this part I know I'll have to do).

But what about the adding drives part, the drives are already raided. Do I still add them in 1 at a time or adding 1 drive in adds all 5 since all 5 will be connected?

EDIT: Also, the update failed this time. How do I make it so it doesn't fail the next time? What I did was, I clicked the apply update and it was stuck at 1/5; 20% for 30 minutes. So I refreshed it and went back to the update and clicked apply update. Then it said that Update 11-U2 was already installed and I needed to apply it in the boot environment and rebooted it. This is what got me into this mess.

Was I supposed to just wait a really really long time?

You can 'Import Volume' on the Storage page. You don't want to RAID your drives again because that will wipe your data.

Googled this up and it looks like a failed update. I cannot access my FreeNAS' IP Address, SSH to it, or access the folder from my networks tab. 

All services that were available on the NAS are still operational.

It looks like I will have to do a fresh image of FreeNAS onto my primary drive?

Is there any preparation I need to do to my Raided drives to get them working after a fresh image?

If there is a workaround to this I'm also all ears.

You can import existing RAID volumes with a fresh install of FreeNAS. It's only the OS volume you are reinstalling however you will have to redo most your configuration i.e. shares and plugins etc.

11 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Googled this up and it looks like a failed update. I cannot access my FreeNAS' IP Address, SSH to it, or access the folder from my networks tab. 

All services that were available on the NAS are still operational.

It looks like I will have to do a fresh image of FreeNAS onto my primary drive?

Is there any preparation I need to do to my Raided drives to get them working after a fresh image?

If there is a workaround to this I'm also all ears.

Have you tried using a mouse and keyb in the actual console directly on the machine?  You could reset the IP address and see if that fixes the problem, change the static IP address etc.

If all else fails then yes just re-install and then import the volume you already had before. When you get everything set up this time, I highly advise to go into the system>general tab and save the config somewhere so that another time if this goes wrong very badly, you can re-install and then upload the config to get it back to working condition.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Have you tried using a mouse and keyb in the actual console directly on the machine?  You could reset the IP address and see if that fixes the problem, change the static IP address etc.

I have not tried this as I thought (from google) that it was an update failure. So IMO, I didn't think it was a broken access point. But I will give it a try.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

If all else fails then yes just re-install and then import the volume you already had before.

^ Together v

11 hours ago, alex75871 said:

You can import existing RAID volumes with a fresh install of FreeNAS...you will have to redo most your configuration i.e. shares and plugins etc.

So before I would add all 5 drives as separate drives and then raided them. Then create the Users, CIFs, etc. to have a folder that has access (this part I know I'll have to do).

But what about the adding drives part, the drives are already raided. Do I still add them in 1 at a time or adding 1 drive in adds all 5 since all 5 will be connected?

EDIT: Also, the update failed this time. How do I make it so it doesn't fail the next time? What I did was, I clicked the apply update and it was stuck at 1/5; 20% for 30 minutes. So I refreshed it and went back to the update and clicked apply update. Then it said that Update 11-U2 was already installed and I needed to apply it in the boot environment and rebooted it. This is what got me into this mess.

2 hours ago, phongle123 said:

^ Together v

It's hard to tell for sure obviously as I can't see what you can, but it sounds to me like the system maybe booted into the wrong environment. I can't remember how to fix that right now, but please just plug in a keyboard to the system and output to a screen, there you have a few options that MIGHT be able to fix the problems. I was referring to you saying you couldn't get into it via the GUI, so if you can, try to access it with a display and keyboard.

If I remember how to change the boot I will let you know, I have had to do it a few times, but I was able to get into the gui to do this.

My best guess ATM is that you might be able to:-

Reset the network, or just set a static ip, to see if you can then access the GUI again... in case that was what locked you out.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, phongle123 said:

^ Together v

You can 'Import Volume' on the Storage page. You don't want to RAID your drives again because that will wipe your data.