8700k downclocking when running cinebench

8700k, msi z370 a-pr, be quiet dark rock tf

It downclocks to 3.6ghz from 4.9ghz just before finishing cinebench all core overclock at 4.9ghz fixed mode 1.28v core load line mode 5(very small drop in volatge) eist and intel turbo boost disabled avx offset 0 and before anyone says its vrm throttling its not derbauer test this mobo and the vrm stayed cool with 1.4v no airflow and i disabled vrm throttling anyway I even changed over voltage and over current protection and nothing happened cpu temps are fine less than 80c,any help?

What is your power management set to in Windows?  The balanced setting will not apply the OC until it needs it, you'll have to make sure you're in performance mode.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Personally I would try lowering the Load line (sometimes helped for me) Also did you unlock the power settings for the cpu? only disabeling them for your vrm doesn't disable them for you cpu

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, bnanos79 said:

8700k, msi z370 a-pr, be quiet dark rock tf

It downclocks to 3.6ghz from 4.9ghz just before finishing cinebench all core overclock at 4.9ghz fixed mode 1.28v core load line mode 5(very small drop in volatge) eist and intel turbo boost disabled avx offset 0 and before anyone says its vrm throttling its not derbauer test this mobo and the vrm stayed cool with 1.4v no airflow and i disabled vrm throttling anyway I even changed over voltage and over current protection and nothing happened cpu temps are fine less than 80c,any help?

Sounds like something to do with windows since the load is lower it decided it doesn't need to boost all the way to max. It's just before it finished right? See if there's a setting to prefer maximum performance over power savings in both the BIOS and Windows. 

Yours faithfully

Is it doing this the entire time or just at the very end?

If it is doing it the entire time... then chances are you have an AVX offset in play which is causing the CPU to downclock when using cinebench (it can use avx)

If not then it could a windows setting for power profiles.

its not windows it does it all the time after its 100% both with cinebench and aida64 stress test with the power mode set at high performance ,i have avx offset set to 0,all the cpu power setings are set to auto but i changed them all and nothing changed(over voltage,under voltage,over currnet,switching frequency,vrm over tempararture),this is weird nothing simmilar has ever happened,maybe its a bad cpu?

i also noticed that when the benchmark-stress test ends the cpu goes back to 4.9ghz 

Maybe it thermal throttles and you don't notice it? also what are your complete system specs? PSU would be interesting even tho I don't think that it's the issue

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

Maybe it thermal throttles and you don't notice it? also what are your complete system specs? PSU would be interesting even tho I don't think that it's the issue

i7 8700k

msi z370 a-pro

gtx 970

thermaltake smart se 620w

its not the psu probably since when i game where there a bigger load it does fine

i thought its thermal related as well but there is no thermal throttling shown in aida64 and it starts downclocking before it reaches tjmax(or whatever its called)

i also noticed that after a while the clock go as low as 3.2ghz in aida64 fpu 

Does it also downclock in everyday tasks?

My Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

Does it also downclock in everyday tasks?

yes a little bit when opening a lot of tabs or an app,it goes down by 200mhz or something like that but not a big downclock,i even lowered the clock to 4.7 and the same shit happens

Did you already test resetting the CMOS and looking if it does the same on idle?

My Build Log: 

Here is a silly question... did you disable the "Multi-core Enhancement" Also sometimes called Enhanced Turbo?

This sounds like it could be a result of THAT as well.

Basically with it off... your cpu will boost to max when using 1-2 cores, but the moment it uses more the turbo scales down more the more cores that are in use... it can drop it all the way to stock values.

I am 99% sure this could be your issue.

This would explain the drop to 3.7ghz ish when under full load

Just now, thelordofwarr said:

Did you already test resetting the CMOS and looking if it does the same on idle?

yes i just did that it does the exact same thing

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Here is a silly question... did you disable the "Multi-core Enhancement" Also sometimes called Enhanced Turbo?

This sounds like it could be a result of THAT as well.

Basically with it off... your cpu will boost to max when using 1-2 cores, but the moment it uses more the turbo scales down more the more cores that are in use... it can drop it all the way to stock values.

I am 99% sure this could be your issue.

This would explain the drop to 3.7ghz ish when under full load

its not enhaced turbo it was off,i tried everything,i thing i am cursed.and it sometimes drops lower than 3.7 but usually it stays around 4

5 minutes ago, bnanos79 said:

its not enhaced turbo it was off,i tried everything,i thing i am cursed.and it sometimes drops lower than 3.7 but usually it stays around 4

That is my point. It is OFF. If needs to be turned on. Enhanced turbo makes it so ALL cores boost to their maximum turbo when under load.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

That is my point. It is OFF. If needs to be turned on. Enhanced turbo makes it so ALL cores boost to their maximum turbo when under load.

no i tried it with it on just now and still the same,anyway i had the cpu core ration at fixed mode which disables it automaticly but in both instances the same happened

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 10:18 PM, bnanos79 said:

On 3/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, thelordofwarr said:

EDIT:thanks for the help first of all,but FINALLY i found the problem,for some reason my mobo in the power draw settings,which where very hidden,when set on auto it limits the cpu to 95w so after some time it downclocked to reach that target(3.5ghz)now its fine.A good thing to know for troubleshooting and if other people experience the same problem.

• 4 years later...
On 4/21/2018 at 3:00 PM, bnanos79 said:

EDIT:thanks for the help first of all,but FINALLY i found the problem,for some reason my mobo in the power draw settings,which where very hidden,when set on auto it limits the cpu to 95w so after some time it downclocked to reach that target(3.5ghz)now its fine.A good thing to know for troubleshooting and if other people experience the same problem.

Can you please specify which settings did you change? Are you talking about BIOS or Windows? I'm facing the same issue with my 9900k and it's driving me crazy 😞 

@irahat

Go into the BIOS and set the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits sky high to prevent any power limit throttling. Some motherboards have an Unlimited setting that sets both power limits to 4095W. I set them to 300W which accomplishes the same thing. 

image.png.9114cf50e093d9729d2706bb49916ae3.png

Try to avoid restarting a 4 year old discussion. Best to start a new thread compared to reviving a dead patient.