DIY smart glasses

KAN1102
1 hour ago, KAN1102 said:

I am planing to make a DIY smart glasses(I was inspired from this post by the verge:https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/27/16035508/diy-wearable-computer-google-glass-raspberry-pi-instructions )I need a alternative for the head mounted display and it has to be under 90$.

Sorry, but I don't think that's possible. Knowing what I know from FPV drone goggles, that vufine thing quoted in that article is so expensive because of the tiny LCD in there. You try making a high ish res screen that's smaller than a postage stamp. My point is they're expensive as shit.

I suppose you could maybe take a used pair of fatsharks, take them apart, and then somehow hack up one of the eye modules (the goggles have two lcds in there) to sit on some glasses. But even that solution will probably eat up all or more of your $90 budget. I hate to shit all over this idea, but I don't think it's possible for your budget. Typically the way projects go is: cheap, elegant, and working. You get to pick two.

ASU

7 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Sorry, but I don't think that's possible. Knowing what I know from FPV drone goggles, that vufine thing quoted in that article is so expensive because of the tiny LCD in there. You try making a high ish res screen that's smaller than a postage stamp. My point is they're expensive as shit.

There is a girl named Jeri Ellsworth. Jeri Ellsworth is very, very smart and talented at electronic and computer engineering. Jeri Ellsworth once made integrated circuits at homeJeri Ellsworth tried to create augmented reality glasses. Jeri Ellsworth is now bankrupt.

Good luck.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Just now, straight_stewie said:

There is a girl named Jeri Ellsworth. Jeri Ellsworth is very, very smart and talented at electronic and computer engineering. Jeri Ellsworth once made integrated circuits at homeJeri Ellsworth tried to create augmented reality glasses. Jeri Ellsworth is now bankrupt.

Good luck.

@straight_stewie feels like someone's life story or PTSD.

2 hours ago, KAN1102 said:

@straight_stewie feels like someone's life story or PTSD.

It's a funny way of saying that some of the best electronics engineers in the world have tried and failed at the task that you're setting out to do.
It's probably not an impossible task, it's just an extremely difficult one.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

If you want a cheap, small display, there is the possibility you could use the display from a digital camcorder viewfinder. It's only really practical for CRT based viewfinders, which are very long, and use very high voltages.

Do not do this unless you are absolutely certain that you know how to deal with high voltages and all the other risks! It is a really dumb idea and not really practical anyway!

• 5 months later...