Can a RAM slot be repaired?

Go to solution Solved by SquintyG33Rs,
3 minutes ago, Juviegar said:

Yeah that's what I feared, more expensive to repair than buy another. How much do you think it'd take to repair?

i don't work in that kind of field but it's going to be over 100$ because the soldering for it is hard and it's not sure where the damage is. either socket or slot side, replacement parts aren't something they'd keep in stock, it's not an iphone so they'd have to go find that too

keep in mind it might be your CPU that has an issue with detecting one of the channels (though unlikely)

I have a MSI H81I motherboard that appeared to have one slot of RAM broken.
I have tried 3 different RAMs and all worked in the slot that's closest to the CPU, but once I populate both slots, or just the second slot, it won't boot.
My question is, can I send it to MSI to have it fixed? Or can it be fixed at all?

It is likely un-economic to get it repaired.

Is there any obvious damage to the slot, the mobo, and also check the CPU socket for bent pins. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

It is likely un-economic to get it repaired.

Is there any obvious damage to the slot, the mobo, and also check the CPU socket for bent pins. 

All the CPU pins are fine. The slot appears to be okay visually, no burns or dirt or smudge.

It's booting fine if I just use 1 slot, but using both or just the second makes the system not booting.

it is technically possible to repair some forms of damage to the slots  but it's not something you'd be able to do on your own and it's more expensive than buying a new board so yeah

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it is technically possible to repair some forms of damage to the slots  but it's not something you'd be able to do on your own and it's more expensive than buying a new board so yeah

Yeah that's what I feared, more expensive to repair than buy another. How much do you think it'd take to repair?

3 minutes ago, Juviegar said:

i don't work in that kind of field but it's going to be over 100$ because the soldering for it is hard and it's not sure where the damage is. either socket or slot side, replacement parts aren't something they'd keep in stock, it's not an iphone so they'd have to go find that too

keep in mind it might be your CPU that has an issue with detecting one of the channels (though unlikely)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Hmm I guess that means I'm stuck with 8GB RAM. Thanks for the info.