Haswell CPUs still worth buying?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

It is worth the upgrade if you need the clock speed and Threads. If you dont and get what you need out of your current system, you would be better off saving up to replace your aging architecture. 

Hi, so I was thinking of an upgrade to replace my i5 4460. I don't really need to buy a whole new mobo or ram, they work just fine. Is it worth upgrading to a better Haswell or Broadwell i7 CPU? If yes, could you recommend one under...160 euros(about $200)? I do mainly programming, gaming and regular work.

It is worth the upgrade if you need the clock speed and Threads. If you dont and get what you need out of your current system, you would be better off saving up to replace your aging architecture. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'm still running an i7-4790k and haven't found a good reason to upgrade, yet. That CPU is still going for ~$250. Like legacy99 mentioned, unless you really need the hyper-threading and the clocks I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have a better place to put $200? Maybe an SSD instead of an HDD or upgrading your GPU?

I think it'll be hard to find a worthwhile CPU to upgrade to under that price range. Honestly, it might just be better saving up for a Coffee Lake CPU, since LGA 1150 is basically dead.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Save your money, my father still has the 4790k that I gave him two years ago and has not asked me to upgrade it for him yet

2 minutes ago, kevp453 said:

I'm still running an i7-4790k and haven't found a good reason to upgrade, yet. That CPU is still going for ~$250. Like legacy99 mentioned, unless you really need the hyper-threading and the clocks I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have a better place to put $200? Maybe an SSD instead of an HDD or upgrading your GPU?

Same here. No reason to upgrade to a newer architecture for my needs, especially considering I bought my CPU for $160 CAD and it still handles everything I do daily. The only reason I'd consider upgrading to 7th Gen or newer is 4K Netflix, but really, that's because of an artificially created DRM scheme that instead tells me I should just acquire content elsewhere.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 hours ago, kevp453 said:

You are right, I wouldn't get much more for $200. I've recently upgraded my SSD, so GPU or PSU is probably a better part to upgrade