Laptop HDD useful?

xDylanio

Hello, it's been some time since I've been on here, but I wanted to ask a question. 

So recently my dad brought back the laptop that I had killed back in 2012 or so. Anyways I wanted to know if it was possible to use the HDD from that laptop, plug it into my pc and boot into it, maybe save some files, play on it or something. 

It has windows 8 on it, so I don't think transferring files would be an issue. 

Thanks in advance! 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

should be able to do that no problems. Unless of course the HDD is dead. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

should be able to do that no problems. Unless of course the HDD is dead. 

@legacy99 Hopefully that's not the case, but yeah I remember exactly what happened and I am ashamed of what I did. But I don't think it hurt the hdd, just the mobo. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

20 minutes ago, xDylanio said:

Hello, it's been some time since I've been on here, but I wanted to ask a question. 

So recently my dad brought back the laptop that I had killed back in 2012 or so. Anyways I wanted to know if it was possible to use the HDD from that laptop, plug it into my pc and boot into it, maybe save some files, play on it or something. 

It has windows 8 on it, so I don't think transferring files would be an issue. 

Thanks in advance! 

If I have to be a "syntaxnazi" you wouldn't "boot" into it.  Not sure what the use of that statement is but it popped into my head.

On the not of being "ashamed" there is no reason to be, it's all a learning experience.  My families first windows machine was destroyed by me when I clicked on everything possible out of curiosity.  At one point I compressed the C drive and had no idea what I had done, why it was messing up or how to fix it.  It's all a learning process.  On that note, if it was software related you could do a fresh install on it and have a working laptop.

As for recovering data from the drive all you need to do is hook it up and boot from your normal drive, then just use windows explorer to view what's on it and copy what is needed.  After that format and use the drive for data.

Out of curiosity, what could you do that isn't software related? IE: hurt the mb?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

3 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Out of curiosity, what could you do that isn't software related? IE: hurt the mb?

@PsittacI was playing a game and ended up dying, I ended up slamming my laptop shut. I don't mean like I slapped it shut. No I slammed it shut. A few hours later I tried turning it on and it gave me like a blue screen with a sad face, forgot what it said. It no longer says that though, it says something about not identifying a battery or something, then it says it doesn't find a bootable drive even though I can clearly see the hdd in there. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

2 minutes ago, xDylanio said:

@PsittacI was playing a game and ended up dying, I ended up slamming my laptop shut. I don't mean like I slapped it shut. No I slammed it shut. A few hours later I tried turning it on and it gave me like a blue screen with a sad face, forgot what it said. It no longer says that though, it says something about not identifying a battery or something, then it says it doesn't find a bootable drive even though I can clearly see the hdd in there. 

Maybe you dislodged something?  Dunno laptops can suck

edit: random thought, if it's a spinning disk, and probably is given the age, maybe you corrupted the OS with some kind of read write

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

Maybe you dislodged something?  Dunno laptops can suck

@PsittacI actually thought that aswell, but I don't know. Here is an actual picture. 

IMAG0433.jpg
IMAG0431.jpg

The first thing that comes up is the battery issue, then I press f1 and it shows the no boot thing

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Just now, xDylanio said:

@PsittacI actually thought that aswell, but I don't know. Here is an actual picture. 

IMAG0433.jpg
IMAG0431.jpg

The first thing that comes up is the battery issue, then I press f1 and it shows the no boot thing

dislodged drive cable? Hard to imagine you damaged the mb but it can still post and look for a boot drive.  Maybe it's just the hdd that's damaged? It's really a crap shoot.  Take the hdd out and see if it's still useable.  If not chances are it's the hdd and not the mb.  Laptop's are so hard to trouble shoot.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

19 minutes ago, Psittac said:

dislodged drive cable? Hard to imagine you damaged the mb but it can still post and look for a boot drive.  Maybe it's just the hdd that's damaged? It's really a crap shoot.  Take the hdd out and see if it's still useable.  If not chances are it's the hdd and not the mb.  Laptop's are so hard to trouble shoot.

IMAG0435.jpg

It seems to be in good shape, I tried taking it out but I can't figure out how. I removed all the screws from the back but the back of the laptop doesn't want to get removed

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

good freaking question.

it should move to the left (oriented by picture) then lift out.  The right of the drive is inserted into sata data and power so it needs to be removed from that.

Maybe it lift's up from the tab on the right and then disconnects?  Very confusing

edit: given such confusing mounting I wouldn't be surprised if it's a drive connection issue

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

7 minutes ago, Psittac said:

good freaking question.

it should move to the left (oriented by picture) then lift out.  The right of the drive is inserted into sata data and power so it needs to be removed from that.

Maybe it lift's up from the tab on the right and then disconnects?  Very confusing

edit: given such confusing mounting I wouldn't be surprised if it's a drive connection issue

Hahaha this is the most confusing thing I've ever seen, it seems to be blocked from going up, you can see to the left like a line of black on top of the HDD, that's connected to the back of the laptop. 

I've taken out all the screws and the back cover just wont budge. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

The line shows where the hdd stops and some other board starts.

The circle shows a screw that should be something to remove

I guess, just be careful 

image.jpg

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

red shows screws that MIGHT be part of a caddy but I really don't know.  Yellow should be part of the drive but fuhq if I know

image2.jpg

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

red shows screws that MIGHT be part of a caddy but I really don't know.  Yellow should be part of the drive but fuhq if I know

image2.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg
subir fotos a un foro

I've removed them, still the same issue, I have no idea what to do, I just want the hdd

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB