Converting a server

Today I received a retired dell poweredge t610 server from a business, with an expired warranty. I'm trying to think of what to do with it. I'd like to make a full network server with network storage and media streaming as well as caching updates for work. But I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas of what else I can use it for being it's a little over kill for me at the moment?

What are the specs for your T610, like how much ram does it have, what cpu's etc.

Looks like the spec sheet says Xeon 5500 and 5600, up to 192GB ddr3 ram.

How much storage do you require?

I wonder how much power it needs when running because there is an option for 870W psu from 570W.

What O/S is installed?

On 3/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, Canada EH said:

What are the specs for your T610, like how much ram does it have, what cpu's etc.

Looks like the spec sheet says Xeon 5500 and 5600, up to 192GB ddr3 ram.

How much storage do you require?

I wonder how much power it needs when running because there is an option for 870W psu from 570W.

What O/S is installed?

After checking (couldn't get to it yesterday) it has dual x5650 and 16gb unbuffered ecc ram. As far as the storage the largest drives in the system currently are 3 x 300gb sas drives, but i will be using 4 x 1tb drives and a potential energy draw of less than 400 watts at max load for the use. Also there is no os currently because the previous owners removed the os and requested i wipe any data on the system currently. I'm mainly looking for ideas of what i could do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

A pretty good update on this, I have ESXI hosting 4 VMs and a total power draw of 175 watts max. I also was provided 2 sets of 41u server racks and 6, 48 port patch panels to continue practicing networking with these items. Any ideas for what i should learn to do next? I was going to test some VPN and Domain controller functionality. 

good lord you have two 41U racks and only a single 1U server? So you just need to fill up the other 75U space with more stuff!

In all seriousness if you are wanting to keep your R610 as is and venture into other things hop on ebay and pick up another server. You could possibly see if you can score one with a license for Microsoft windows server so you could play around with HDD pools, making your own domains, and the like. If you want to start really messing with networking it is time to either VM an open source router OS or make a bare metal PFsense or OPNsense box.

If you're willing to settle for the lowly LGA1366 socket stuff still you can find it all over the place for really cheap. Just the other day I looked at a dual CPU 8 core Dell R410 on ebay for $100 shipped...It's hard to find working desktops on craigslist that cheap!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Jchandler21 said:

A pretty good update on this, I have ESXI hosting 4 VMs and a total power draw of 175 watts max. I also was provided 2 sets of 41u server racks and 6, 48 port patch panels to continue practicing networking with these items. Any ideas for what i should learn to do next? I was going to test some VPN and Domain controller functionality. 

41U and 6 patch panels for free :o

you need to get some more server stuff to fill those racks! Get a server and make it a uber-powerful pfsense router/firewall? Looking to do this myself with my opteron server, just drew out my  network plan.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 hours ago, Razor02097 said:

good lord you have two 41U racks and only a single 1U server? So you just need to fill up the other 75U space with more stuff!

The PowerEdge T series is a tower server ;) when converted to rackmount it'll be 4U ^_^

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

10 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

The PowerEdge T series is a tower server ;) when converted to rackmount it'll be 4U ^_^

Right. Didn't see the T

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler