Proper radiator orientation to pump placement (pro's only please)

I have several AIO cooling devices and a couple have developed noises in the pumps.  They still work just fine and one of them is only 2 years old.  There are so many opinions out there on how the radiators should be placed in comparison to where the pump is it.  I've been following the general rules of gravity and density of water vs air.  The computer I am concerned about has very limited options.  The pump is above the hoses of the radiator.  The radiator is mounted vertically with the hoses on the bottom (so in theory, both hoses should have ample water supplied by inlet/outlet of the rad.  The pump however would have to fight gravity on the outlet side to get water back to the pump.  But the pump is noisier with this configuration.  

I apologize if such thread already exists.  I don't see where the search option is and google returns mixed results.  I want solid tested answers :)

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

21 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

I have several AIO cooling devices and a couple have developed noises in the pumps.  They still work just fine and one of them is only 2 years old.  There are so many opinions out there on how the radiators should be placed in comparison to where the pump is it.  I've been following the general rules of gravity and density of water vs air.  The computer I am concerned about has very limited options.  The pump is above the hoses of the radiator.  The radiator is mounted vertically with the hoses on the bottom (so in theory, both hoses should have ample water supplied by inlet/outlet of the rad.  The pump however would have to fight gravity on the outlet side to get water back to the pump.  But the pump is noisier with this configuration.  

I apologize if such thread already exists.  I don't see where the search option is and google returns mixed results.  I want solid tested answers :)

can you flip the rad 180 degrees?  might solve your problem/answer your question?

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

so hose on top of rad?  I can try, but that will put the hoses above the pump level.  wouldn't risk of air in lines be imminent? 

9 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

so hose on top of rad?  I can try, but that will put the hoses above the pump level.  wouldn't risk of air in lines be imminent? 

there shouldnt be any air in an AIO.  if there is, you got some major problems.  (at least not air that would impact anything in any way)

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

I flipped the rad 180 degrees.  Temps are surprisingly a couple degrees cooler, but the noise persists.  The pump may have permanent damage from in improper installation prior.  Tho it is still working and I constantly monitor my temps so if any sort of failure should happen,  I'll notice

Idle temps actually dropped 7c flipping the rad 180. 

Just now, Wadzinsky said:

I flipped the rad 180 degrees.  Temps are surprisingly a couple degrees cooler, but the noise persists.  The pump may have permanent damage from in improper installation prior.  Tho it is still working and I constantly monitor my temps so if any sort of failure should happen,  I'll notice

maybe, could just be a noisy pump though.

the big thing with AIOs is flow impedence.  you want to try as best you can to keep the tubing runs straight, or as gently curved as possible.  though it wont matter a great deal for noise, it will help the coolant flow more easily which should reduce stress overall.

just so you know,  AIOs are filled with a concentrate of fluid.  While water based its much much higher in concentration of anti corrosive and anti microbial agents.  and they are brim-filled from the factory.  so they will have some air, but it should be micro-bubbles, and they should be very minimal.  I tend to mound the rad above the pump (in your particular case, i would use the upper fan mount)  this way when you power off the system, the liquid will settle in the pump (as air will rise, if there is any).  If that helps at all.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server