Ryzen 5 2400G Linux?

I bought a Ryzen 5 2400G to use for upgrading my aging ECS FM1 Socket AMD A8-3850 based media server. I want to make sure that my new CPU will work with Kernel 4.15 prior to purchasing the motherboard and RAM. Then, I will need advice on which motherboard has the best support for Linux and the Ryzen 5 2400G OOTB. I am kinda on the fence about selling the 2400G and buying a Synology NAS or going Intel (very expensive option), or just finishing the build.

The server will be mainly headless. The OS is currently a toss up between Fedora 27/28 server and FreeNAS (depending of course on which has better support for the chip). I prefer team Red for my Chips whenever possible. Ive been using the current board and processor since 2011 almost nonstop as a media server. I need the transcoding power too. I plan to leverage any m.2 drives as caching drives. If I can get a mITX board, and the APU works, Ill have an open PCIe slot for either a PCIe Tuner card or an expansion RAID/SAS card (though I prefer soft-RAID or ZFS-RAID).

Id go intel here personally, esp with freenas as intel g4560's will just be a bit more stable for now. 

Also the intel will be good at transcoding due to quicksync.

Also for apu's the main pcie is 8x, so often the second pcie slot is disabled.

Most of the time a ssd cache really isn't worth it in zfs, the slog isnt need as you arent doing sync, and l2arcs normally get low hit ratios.

4 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

hmm. So, maybe I need to look to FreeNAS?

They wll both work fine and zfs on linux works very well.

If your going ryzen though, id go fedora 27 or debian testing.

Well, the SSD cache is for the transcoding. And how is a G4560 supposed to handle the load of 5-6 machines pulling from the server at the same time? not all of them are transcoding of course. The server handles the entire household. All the TVs and computers connect to it. I don't believe a dual core chip can handle that load. I have considered switching to a Ryzen 5 1600 or 1400 chip and mATX setup. But I chose the 2400G as it has 4 cores and 8 threads versus the A8-3850's 4 cores / 4 threads. It also has the Vega 11 iGPU on it. Which should, once Kernel 4.17 drops work wonders since AMD's transcoding methods have been shown to be able to handle 4 or more streams simultaneously.

8 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

Well, the SSD cache is for the transcoding. And how is a G4560 supposed to handle the load of 5-6 machines pulling from the server at the same time? not all of them are transcoding of course. The server handles the entire household. All the TVs and computers connect to it. I don't believe a dual core chip can handle that load. I have considered switching to a Ryzen 5 1600 or 1400 chip and mATX setup. But I chose the 2400G as it has 4 cores and 8 threads versus the A8-3850's 4 cores / 4 threads. It also has the Vega 11 iGPU on it. Which should, once Kernel 4.17 drops work wonders since AMD's transcoding methods have been shown to be able to handle 4 or more streams simultaneously.

The cpu isn't doing any transcoding for the pentium, its done with quick sync on the gpu, and thats much better than amd's hardwer wide encoding.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The cpu isn't doing any transcoding for the pentium, its done with quick sync on the gpu, and thats much better than amd's hardwer wide encoding.

neither was the transcoding being done on my current APU's CPU. I was using the hardware transcoding of the iGPU on the APU. I use the VAAPI/VDPAU library with Emby for transcoding. And I plan to switch to OpenMAX if I can use the CPU I already own (2400g).

10 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

neither was the transcoding being done on my current APU's CPU. I was using the hardware transcoding of the iGPU on the APU. I use the VAAPI/VDPAU library with Emby for transcoding. And I plan to switch to OpenMAX if I can use the CPU I already own (2400g).

the igpu on the intel cpu is much better for transcoding, better quality and more streams(i think)

Can you return the cpu, should be in time.

Ryzen, esp the new g parts still has bugs esp on linux and freebsd.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the igpu on the intel cpu is much better for transcoding, better quality and more streams(i think)

Can you return the cpu, should be in time.

Ryzen, esp the new g parts still has bugs esp on linux and freebsd.

Nope. Purchased on 2/14/2018. Too late to return. All I can do is replace. It is new, unopened if I can find someone who wants to buy it Ill do it that way I guess. One way or another I am switching one of my machines to Zen. Either my server (at this point not likely) or this desktop (more likely ( 1700X/2700X)) Where I will most likely run KVM/GPU passthrough setup.

1 minute ago, KRDucky said:

Nope. Purchased on 2/14/2018. Too late to return. All I can do is replace. It is new, unopened if I can find someone who wants to buy it Ill do it that way I guess. One way or another I am switching one of my machines to Zen. Either my server (at this point not likely) or this desktop (more likely ( 1700X/2700X)) Where I will most likely run KVM/GPU passthrough setup.

Then get what ever board you want. there all basically the same os support wise. Intel nic is nice, but really won't make a difference. Everything else is the same mostly.

zen? do you mean xen? 

PCIe passthrough on ryzen is a pain.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then get what ever board you want. there all basically the same os support wise. Intel nic is nice, but really won't make a difference. Everything else is the same mostly.

zen? do you mean xen? 

PCIe passthrough on ryzen is a pain.

I meant Zen. Zen is the Architecture of the AMD Ryzen platform. Hence Ryzen is made up of Ry and Zen. Second generation Zen cores are referred to as Zen 2. And so on.

If Ryzen passthrough is a pain, I will do Threadripper but according to Wendell, it is not.

4 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

I meant Zen. Zen is the Architecture of the AMD Ryzen platform. Hence Ryzen is made up of Ry and Zen. Second generation Zen cores are referred to as Zen 2. And so on.

If Ryzen passthrough is a pain, I will do Threadripper but according to Wendell, it is not.

yea zen that makes sens.

I have tried passthrough, you really want x370 and its still annoying, esp if you havent done it before.b

It will work. Graphics driver for the iGpu is directly built into the kernel (Mesa) and Linux has support for all the latest mainstream processor. It is just plug and play.

also, the open source Mesa driver for amd has gotten so much better in recent years that Polaris cards like Rx 580 actually outperforms nvidia gtx 1060 using the proprietary nvidia driver on many native Linux titles.

Sudo make me a sandwich