Is this a Good running temp for a laptop?

Xander Cousins

So i recently decided to pull my finger out and actually replace the CPU Fan on my HP Pavilion G6 which required it being swapped out 2 years ago as the fan died back then. 

I have got a the fan replaced and the laptop is seeing it along with actually keeping cool. 

So my question is i did partially remove the heatsink from the cpu chip but i put i back on without replacing the thermal paste. 

I am using the laptop to write this now and the laptop is raised at an angle to allow the bottom vents to get air flow. the temp of the CPU core atm is sitting between 50 - 60 Degrees. Which i think is ok. So i was wondering is this a fine light work load temperature for a CPU to be running at or should it be lower? 

I will add this i do intend to take it apart again and apply some new thermal paste to the cpu... when i find where i left it... 

Thanks for any responses :D 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Not amazing but not that bad, with some regular web browser use my Alienware 18 sits at around 60C.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Depending on how fast the fan is going, it could be either good or bad. If it's semi-passive like my laptop or runs at a "low" RPM once it hits about 70 (and then stays on until about 50C) then it's not that bad.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I remember Linus talking about thermal paste in the WAN show and he was saying that not changing the old thermal paste isn't really a big deal, so as long as you have something between the CPU and the heatsink, you should be fine. :D

22 minutes ago, menchx said:

I remember Linus talking about thermal paste in the WAN show and he was saying that not changing the old thermal paste isn't really a big deal, so as long as you have something between the CPU and the heatsink, you should be fine. :D

I know not changing the paste isn't bad but i was thinking due to having it partially off the cpu

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

4 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

I know not changing the paste isn't bad but i was thinking due to having it partially off the cpu

I think it is fine, especially considering your temps. But for your ease of mind, wipe it off and apply the appropriate amount when you find the time!

So i to apart my laptop another two times... Third being i forgot to connect the keyboard. Anyway got the new Thermal Paste applied and it has dropped the core temp by 10-15 degrees. Which is a upside for me being that this will be suffocating on my lap from time to time