Something we should mention about overclocking.

I've seen a thousand guides on overclocking and I don't ever see them mention this:

After you're done stress testing and you think your overclock is stable,

you should monitor your reliability history for about week.

Why? because if you're getting errors like unexpected shutdown errors in there, it's because your overclock doesn't have enough voltage.

You can pass 24 hour stress tests that won't pick this up so it's a good last step.

This is a common issue I see while troubleshooting for people so I think it's something that we should add to our advice about overclocking :)

Sometimes it passes a 24 hour stress test and then crashes when opening chrome xD.

I would also reccomend another method, just start with your baseclock and every time you start your pc, you push it a bit higher, like just 50 Mhz. Kepps the thrill longer and you just use your pc normally afterwards so you have all kinds of realistic workloads. Makes it also easier to find the max of your chip/cooling solution

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

16 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I've seen a thousand guides on overclocking and I don't ever see them mention this:

After you're done stress testing and you think your overclock is stable,

you should monitor your reliability history for about week.

Why? because if you're getting errors like unexpected shutdown errors in there, it's because your overclock doesn't have enough voltage.

Yes and also keep an eye out on the power consumption.

It may already have gone through the roof, that's why the temperature is close to a 100°C...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"