G-Sync or No G-sync

te4kotonik94

Hello guys. I've looked into many discussions about this but nothing seems clear enough for me so far. I was trying to find a good monitor for general use for everything (movies,games competitive and casual) so an 144hz 1080p 24 inch or 60hz 1440p 27inch+.But should i spend more money on g-sync monitor, is it really worth it considering that i'm using GTX 1070 G1, and so from which monitor category i will benefit most with my current GPU?

G-sync is for lower refresh rate monitors. If you are say running at 30 fps g-sync helps to make it look smoother (if someone thinks i'm wrong, please feel free to correct me). If you only want to game on the display i would say go for the 1080p 144hz option.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

G-sync is for lower refresh rate monitors. If you are say running at 30 fps g-sync helps to make it look smoother (if someone thinks i'm wrong, please feel free to correct me). If you only want to game on the display i would say go for the 1080p 144hz option.

G sync usally hs a rangenit works for like 45fps-75fps. It depends on the monitor 

35 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

Uh.. no. While it is true that on lower refresh rates the G-Sync is much better than V-Sync, it still improves things greatly even at 144Hz+.

If you have trouble to get 60FPS in game, you should not even consider G-Sync monitor in the first place, upgrade your GPU first.

28 minutes ago, QuestionxThree said:

G sync usally hs a rangenit works for like 45fps-75fps. It depends on the monitor 

No.

G-Sync can technicaly work even at 1FPS, the range is huge, can go to 240FPS no problem.

Free-Sync has a way more limited range.

Whether G-Sync is worth it to you or not... hard to say. There are big benefits of having G-Sync but then there are big benefits having 1440p over 1080p... depends on your use case.

40 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

G-sync is for lower refresh rate monitors.

G-sync helps regardless of the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. The goal is to both prevent input lag/low fps (vsync on) and tearing (vsync off). Having used it, I wouldn't buy another gaming monitor without it, or freesync if AMD ever have a competitive high end card again. No tearing and snappy response.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, te4kotonik94 said:

But should i spend more money on g-sync monitor, is it really worth it considering that i'm using GTX 1070 G1

you'll see gsync benefit in fast paced games...fps games. Also for GTX 1070 I would easily recommend 1440p 60Hz, either gsync or not, as the GPU is more than capable to run most of the games at that resolution while maintaining 60fps. Also 1440p looks a lot better and 27" is a decent size monitor which I would totally recommend.

Gsync or not? It depends on the games you wish to play and how competitive are they. Gsync helps with screen tearing.

Bottom line, in my opinion 1440p 27". Gsync only if you really need it or you can pay the extra in order to have a little bit of "futureproof" with regards to your monitor.

37 minutes ago, QuestionxThree said:

G sync usally hs a rangenit works for like 45fps-75fps

For English press 1.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

Thank you all for the quick response. That was helpful. Now i might consider looking for 1440p 27inch 144hz if i can, for my pocket. And if i encounter a more demanding game i can just lock fps to 60 or lower resolution to 1080p to avoid issues, is that correct?

P.S. It seems that lowering the settings would be better then lowering the resolution, and maybe only some of the latest heavy game will require that.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:26 AM, WereCat said:

Uh.. no. While it is true that on lower refresh rates the G-Sync is much better than V-Sync, it still improves things greatly even at 144Hz+.

If you have trouble to get 60FPS in game, you should not even consider G-Sync monitor in the first place, upgrade your GPU first.

No.

G-Sync can technicaly work even at 1FPS, the range is huge, can go to 240FPS no problem.

Free-Sync has a way more limited range.

Whether G-Sync is worth it to you or not... hard to say. There are big benefits of having G-Sync but then there are big benefits having 1440p over 1080p... depends on your use case.

No