How much c++ skills do I need to make a game in ue4?

Jaok

How much c++ skills do I need to make a game in ue4 because I want to make a game with c++ not blueprints.

Do you know C++ already? If not, focus on getting familiar with it and programming a bit first before delving into game development. Otherwise, pick a simple idea and just go for it I'd say. Usually if you have to ask what skills you need, you don't have the required skills. But when it comes to programming I find it fun and useful to try things that are above my level. It somehow makes me learn quicker.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

making games is not like you woke up one day and you decide that you'll make game in 3 days.

but... if you really, really want to make game but you don't know c++, try this

https://www.game-guru.com/

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

25 minutes ago, tikker said:

Do you know C++ already? If not, focus on getting familiar with it and programming a bit first before delving into game development. Otherwise, pick a simple idea and just go for it I'd say. Usually if you have to ask what skills you need, you don't have the required skills. But when it comes to programming I find it fun and useful to try things that are above my level. It somehow makes me learn quicker.

12 minutes ago, LordMMX said:

making games is not like you woke up one day and you decide that you'll make game in 3 days.

but... if you really, really want to make game but you don't know c++, try this

https://www.game-guru.com/

Thanks!

Unless you are requiring Unity for something, you can also try Unity. I believe they focus on C#, but its relatively similar to C++. There are plenty of tutorials to try to get a feel for it as well.

I'm not a fan of the no coding skills required software, because everything seems cookie cutter. I wish there was a filter in Steam Store to get rid of all of the RPG maker games.

But as others have said, it takes time and skill. I'm pretty proficient in Java (4 years) and have C++ experience as well (about 6 months); however, coding for a video game IS NOT the same as coding for college classes or things learned from the internet. It is immediately more complex and  you really have to know what you're doing in order to be successful.

There are also many Java tutorials if you're interested in App development for mobile as well. I'd recommend start small and grow big. Unity has some pretty good tutorials from a simple ball game to a 2D side scroller and even a 3D FPS. Try those and see if they fit, then go from there. I have downloaded Unreal, but haven't had a chance to do much with it.