is this build compatible?

Defame

First time pc build. Trying to keep it under $1k. All I really plan to do with it is casual gaming and use it as a workstation for a little photoshop and that sort of thing. Nothing it can't handle, I just want to make sure it's compatible and that I'm not missing anything. The only question I have is about the PSU. I've never done this before so I'm worried I might not have all the cables and what have you. Should I get a modular one or will that not be a problem? Any tips or suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TQwxr6

More or less, yes.

But I would swap a few components.

For example you could get a RAM kit from Corsair (Vengeance) or G.Skill (Flare X) for maximum compatability. The higher speeds the better for Ryzen.

That PSU is not good. If you wish to go with Corsair, then pick from RMx series. Otherwise, EVGA G2.

6 minutes ago, Defame said:

First time pc build. Trying to keep it under $1k. All I really plan to do with it is casual gaming and use it as a workstation for a little photoshop and that sort of thing. Nothing it can't handle, I just want to make sure it's compatible and that I'm not missing anything. The only question I have is about the PSU. I've never done this before so I'm worried I might not have all the cables and what have you. Should I get a modular one or will that not be a problem? Any tips or suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TQwxr6

You could change storage to maybe a 250GB SSD and then buy a HDD for games and mass storage.

Get a psu from corsair or evga with at least 80 plus gold efficiency and maybe you should throw in a mechanical WD blue 1T drive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Matthew Waring said:

You could change storage to maybe a 250GB SSD and then buy a HDD for games and mass storage.

I only play a few games. 500gb should suit me fine. It has currently and I don't see a need for more storage in the future. Let's say I did though, if I stored games on the hdd, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the fast ssd since games would be booting off the disk drive? Maybe I'm missing something?

PSU is fine, just swap the 1300x for a 2200G because its cheaper and just straight up better

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You can get a 1050ti for $225. Do that.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, Defame said:

I only play a few games. 500gb should suit me fine. It has currently and I don't see a need for more storage in the future. Let's say I did though, if I stored games on the hdd, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the fast ssd since games would be booting off the disk drive? Maybe I'm missing something?

You can store some games on the SSD but I mean as in storing other games where the loading times won't matter. Example being I store games like GTA and Siege on my SSD whilst I have other smaller indie games like Don't Starve or single player games on my HDD. By storing games on your HDD, you will also save space for the SSD where you can put more files for photoshop which can maybe take awhile to load.

EDIT: Since you are using the S340 elite, I would go with a fully modular PSU as the shroud room isnt exactly spacious.

spend less on some of the parts and use it for a better cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($224.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $913.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-06 07:49 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

25 minutes ago, NMS said:

That PSU is not good. If you wish to go with Corsair, then pick from RMx series. Otherwise, EVGA G2.

22 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Get a psu from corsair or evga with at least 80 plus gold efficiency

If you guys have no clue about PSUs, please do not make any suggestions or recommendations regarding PSUs.

:)

As a long time builder (20+ years), your build is not too bad.  I think you are going in the right direction.  Here are a few tips that I would give you.

Whenever you are picking a motherboard, make sure to check the "Memory QVC" -- this is a list of supported memory with that particular motherboard.  In most cases, compatible RAM should work -- but it don't hurt to look through this list and find memory that is "guaranteed" (nothing is fully guaranteed to work) to be compatible.  

Second -- plan out your future upgrades and try to future proof yourself for the next few years if at all possible.  Consider a motherboard and socket selection that may be compatible for 2-3-4 years -- so when you want to upgrade its as simple as swapping in a new CPU and perhaps upgrading an older GPU.  AMD is not a bad choice in this market, as they are committed to the AM4 socket for the next few years.  

As for the PSU -- not all PSU's are created equally.  The more efficient a PSU (Titanium, Platinum, Gold....) the more expensive and it generally is.  It simply means that it makes more efficient use of the power, and can save you some money in the long run.  Modular is not a bad idea to go as well with PSU's (if the price is comparable) -- as they can provided you with some more flexibility in running cables through your case and keeping your build clean and more air efficient.  

A case is a bit of a personal choice in this -- as long as you get one that meets your needs for now and the near future.  You are building a entry level rig, and as such I would go (personal choice) an entry level case that is both easy to build in -- and can fit the largest video cards in the market should you decide to go that route later.  I've had good luck with the Cooler Master N200 -- as its cost effective and easy to build in.  Plus -- if you go with that modular PSU, it'll look clean and tidy.  

Some folks have suggested going with a slightly smaller SSD and adding a regular spin hard drive for storage.  This is a great idea, and gives you a ton of flexibility.  Considering your budget, I'd go with a 256 GB SSD from any of the major players -- along with a 2-4 TB spin hard drive, depending on price and budget.  This way you put your OS on the SSD, along with a few choice games or applications -- then put the rest on your bigger spin hard drive.  You can always migrate your games from your spin hard drive over to your SSD if/when necessary.  

CPU choice is pretty good -- but as other have stated the newer Ryzen 5 2400G is a better choice.  This is for a few reasons.  First, you get pretty much the same performance -- plus you get an integrated Vega Graphics in that APU/CPU choice.  This gives you a few more options when setting up your machine, and if your external GPU ever dies or you decided to upgrade.  You have an option to use the integrated APU/CPU Vega Graphics while you do this.  For the few extra bucks -- I'd go that route.

Lastly -- I've done a build for you -- using some of my part choices and picking compatible RAM using the QVC.  

If you need anything -- don't hesitate to contact.  

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jy3rHh

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jy3rHh/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($168.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($101.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($326.87 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.20 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.55 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: NZXT - RF-FN122-RB 45.0 CFM  120mm Fan  ($6.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $951.75

Good Luck,

Newf

Just now, seon123 said:

If you guys have no clue about PSUs, please do not make any suggestions or recommendations regarding PSUs.

i mean corsair and evga theyre just fine for the workload so dont hate 

and theyre two of the most commonly used brands for psus ok

and at least support your burn with some advice for people to improve their brains and knowledge of psus

im not trying to offend you or anything

just say nicely that theyre bad or something and reccomend your choice if you were gonna build this ok?

just trying to maintain peace within the forum

I'm a fan of Intel

16 minutes ago, newfieboy1983 said:

As for the PSU -- not all PSU's are created equally.  The more efficient a PSU (Titanium, Platinum, Gold....) the more expensive and it generally is.  It simply means that it makes more efficient use of the power, and can save you some money in the long run.  Modular is not a bad idea to go as well with PSU's (if the price is comparable) -- as they can provided you with some more flexibility in running cables through your case and keeping your build clean and more air efficient.  

There's a whole lot more, though. Imo, the regulation, ripple, transient responce, fan, crossload performance and protections are way more important than the efficiency and modularity.

20 minutes ago, rennygt3 said:

i mean corsair and evga theyre just fine for the workload so dont hate 

and theyre two of the most commonly used brands for psus ok

All companies are equally capable of selling crap, so recommending on a brand by brand basis makes no sense. Same as telling people not to buy the 1080 Ti just because the GT630 is crap. Or recommending the GT630 because the 1080 Ti is good.

The CX550 is a very decent budget PSU, claiming otherwise shows they have little to no knowledge of PSUs.

Edited by seon123
Something something

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There's a whole lot more, though. Imo, the regulation, ripple, transient responce, fan, crossload performance and protections are way more important than the efficiency and modularity.

There is not enough time or reason to get into the minutia about PSU's.  For this guys build, try and find a decent price to efficient PSU that has enough watts to cover his need.  Why so nit picky?

Just now, newfieboy1983 said:

There is not enough time or reason to get into the minutia about PSU's.  For this guys build, try and find a decent price to efficient PSU that has enough watts to cover his need.  Why so nit picky?

Then why did you write a section about efficiency and modularity? Efficiency does not matter at all for such a low power build.

The CX550 is already plenty for his needs, and is a decent budget PSU. The CX450M would be a better option, imo, but the CX550 is fine.

Just now, seon123 said:

Then why did you write a section about efficiency and modularity? Efficiency does not matter at all for such a low power build.

The CX550 is already plenty for his needs, and is a decent budget PSU. The CX450M would be a better option, imo, but the CX550 is fine.

Here we go -- someone trying to help in a general non-specific way and we get an internet troll trying to tear everyones stuff down because we forgot to mention PSU ripple or crossload performance.  Go troll somewhere else.  Its unimportant to the general casual builder with such a small low power build.  Jebus....

10 hours ago, newfieboy1983 said:

As a long time builder (20+ years), your build is not too bad.  I think you are going in the right direction.  Here are a few tips that I would give you.

Whenever you are picking a motherboard, make sure to check the "Memory QVC" -- this is a list of supported memory with that particular motherboard.  In most cases, compatible RAM should work -- but it don't hurt to look through this list and find memory that is "guaranteed" (nothing is fully guaranteed to work) to be compatible.  

Second -- plan out your future upgrades and try to future proof yourself for the next few years if at all possible.  Consider a motherboard and socket selection that may be compatible for 2-3-4 years -- so when you want to upgrade its as simple as swapping in a new CPU and perhaps upgrading an older GPU.  AMD is not a bad choice in this market, as they are committed to the AM4 socket for the next few years.  

A case is a bit of a personal choice in this -- as long as you get one that meets your needs for now and the near future.  You are building a entry level rig, and as such I would go (personal choice) an entry level case that is both easy to build in -- and can fit the largest video cards in the market should you decide to go that route later.  I've had good luck with the Cooler Master N200 -- as its cost effective and easy to build in.  Plus -- if you go with that modular PSU, it'll look clean and tidy.  

Some folks have suggested going with a slightly smaller SSD and adding a regular spin hard drive for storage.  This is a great idea, and gives you a ton of flexibility.  Considering your budget, I'd go with a 256 GB SSD from any of the major players -- along with a 2-4 TB spin hard drive, depending on price and budget.  This way you put your OS on the SSD, along with a few choice games or applications -- then put the rest on your bigger spin hard drive.  You can always migrate your games from your spin hard drive over to your SSD if/when necessary.  

CPU choice is pretty good -- but as other have stated the newer Ryzen 5 2400G is a better choice.  This is for a few reasons.  First, you get pretty much the same performance -- plus you get an integrated Vega Graphics in that APU/CPU choice.  This gives you a few more options when setting up your machine, and if your external GPU ever dies or you decided to upgrade.  You have an option to use the integrated APU/CPU Vega Graphics while you do this.  For the few extra bucks -- I'd go that route.

Lastly -- I've done a build for you -- using some of my part choices and picking compatible RAM using the QVC.  

If you need anything -- don't hesitate to contact.  

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jy3rHh

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jy3rHh/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($168.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($101.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($326.87 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.20 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.55 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: NZXT - RF-FN122-RB 45.0 CFM  120mm Fan  ($6.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $951.75

Good Luck,

Newf

Very informative and helpful - so thank you. Much more useful when someone gives reason behind other part choices rather than just saying "buy this instead".