E3 1240 with Asus P8B75 M LX

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking at an inexpensive E3 1240 (not v2, not v3) for my older rig. Currently, it's running Pentium G860, dual-core, sandy bridge. It's a good rig, with 8 gigs of ram and HD6670 that runs (or ran, haven't been gaming much on it lately) games pretty well, like the Tomb Raider, LoL, Heroes and Generals, Far Cry 3. It's currently my only rig since I left my main one with my lil bro, and I moved away, got a job. Making hella money now, and I could probably afford a new CPU but this deal is too good to miss out for me (since I have a history of using Xeons for my gaming rigs a la 150$ gaming PC).

I would accept this deal in an instant, but I wonder if my motherboard would as well?

Capture.PNG

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but it's not listed in the compatibility list for the motherboard. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75M_LX/HelpDesk_CPU/

If the list is just incomplete, you probably just need bios revision 0405 or newer for it to work. Since it's not listed, it might be a good idea to contact Asus for a direct quote.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi guys. I have the latest BIOS. 

The CPU actually came today and I've been pateintly waiting to come home install. NOte: I couldn't find anywhere anything about e3 1240 working with my mother board, except v2, v3, or 1230 and 1245. Your words encouraged me to try it and it's working. I put it in, and the first time I turned on the PC it would POST and shut down, I was like "Hell, no" but I forgot to connect the CPU fan, lol. Gave myselfa little heart attack. Currently, with only game I currently have to test it with, I started up Minecraft. I'd get 100% CPU utilization with G860, but this baby doesn't go above 30% (on overall graph in task manager). I know that's not some benchmark, but I'm gonna post cinebench results soon.

This CPU was used in a server Poweredge T110 (I think that's the one). I got it for a litle over 80 bucks (500 kunas in Croatia). This was such a steal; new Pentium G860 is double that on Newegg; on ebay the lowest I could find an e3 1240/1230 was around $100 + shipping; Intel I7 2600, also on ebay, for 100 bucks plus a whooping 40 dollars shipping fee; on our local popular advertisement website the lowest (other) 1155 CPU was an i5 3470 for a little more than 80 dollars (550 kunas, so some 10 dollars more than the price of this CPU).

I am so glad it's working, I'm so glad I had a chance to upgrade this old rig; I've been long due since this PC hasn't gotten an upgrade since I bought it. And for programming, running Android Studio, compiling and playing a game or two here and there, it's gona be perfect.

I was ready to drop the offer since I coudn't find any info on compatiblity, but thanks for assuring me, guys.

Capturecpu.PNG

CB results just came in; I don't know if and how good this is. Fun fact, a dual xeon system I built achieved a little higher score.

Capturecb.PNG

17619157_10208173000462787_1238134068_n.jpg