Will psu arcing kill my system?

So about a month ago I started noticing som clicking/popping sound coming from my pc. I can sometimes hear one popp when I'm not wearing my headphones. My case is made out of metal and aluminium so i think it might be the sound of the case expanding and contracting because of changes in temperature. My psu is a 80+ gold corsair rm750x. Im also afraid it might be coming from the psu and that it is the sound of the psu arcing or something. My question is that if this is the case, wouldn't my pc have died a long time ago? My pc works fine for now so im just curious.

I would say try running your PC outside of your case on a temporary testbench(motherboard box for example) and see if the noise persists. I would imagine if the PSU was arcing, you would be seeing sparks as well so that isn't a worry.

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy DragonI haven't been able to look at the psu when the sound comes since it's relatively rare so I dont know if sparks are coming. But don't you think my system would be dead by now if it is arcing?

You can't make assumptions like that when troubleshooting.

If you are legit hearing electrical arcing noises, that thing needs to be looked at by a professional.  Or you can tinker around with it until it blows something and requires complete replacement of nearly everything...

Popping noises on the other hand can be a myriad of things.  I have mostly noticed pops coming from sound devices picking up interference such as a voltage surge when powering on or electromagnetic noise/interference coming off other PC parts.

2 hours ago, Paul Vreeland said:

You can't make assumptions like that when troubleshooting.

If you are legit hearing electrical arcing noises, that thing needs to be looked at by a professional.  Or you can tinker around with it until it blows something and requires complete replacement of nearly everything...

Popping noises on the other hand can be a myriad of things.  I have mostly noticed pops coming from sound devices picking up interference such as a voltage surge when powering on or electromagnetic noise/interference coming off other PC parts.

The thing is that im not 100% how electical arcing noise sounds like. Also wouldn't the pc be dead after such a long time of this?

12 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

@Crunchy DragonI haven't been able to look at the psu when the sound comes since it's relatively rare so I dont know if sparks are coming. But don't you think my system would be dead by now if it is arcing?

Is your case inside your field of vision when the noise happens? If it was arcing at all, you would have seen something, even just a quick flash of light. Then again, if it was even arcing, something would have died by now...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!