console framerate drops

I recently decided to revisit some of my favorite games on the ps3 and ps4, and was disappointed to find that most of my games were noticeably running at a lower fps, especially during cutscenes, is this probably just due to the age of my consoles, or do I need to repair/replace something, as both are well out of warranty coverage, the ps3 is a slim model and the PS4 is the original black 500GB model, and all games on both are played via bluray game disks, not internal hard drive

Maybe there's a lot of dust in the heatsinks/fans so it thermal throttles a lot, maybe try to clean it a bit

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

Maybe there's a lot of dust in the heatsinks/fans so it thermal throttles a lot, maybe try to clean it a bit

okay I'll check it out, and keep you posted

34 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

upon removal of the PS3's HDD it appears that most likely is the culprit, I am running it's fan over with a cloth as i type this, I wish I had before photos but I'll post after photos of the console and the cloth when I'm finished

With such things mostly it's just dust keeping the air from flowing, but it should be better afterwards

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

40 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

With such things mostly it's just dust keeping the air from flowing, but it should be better afterwards

I finished cleanup on the fan system and HDD bay on the PS3, but haven't tested it yet due to several power outages in my area today, here are the after pics, the right towel was not used, shows comparison

IMG_4130[1].JPG

• 1 month later...
On 2018-03-02 at 3:45 PM, thelordofwarr said:

Consoles do not throttle

OP what games were you playing specifically? Lots of Ps3 and a few PS4 games have some unstable performance profiles

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R