Mother board beeping issue

Realist Peter Pan

So, my friend called me up to see if I could figure it out. she used to have display before the last restart, now there is no display. I had her boot with her two sticks of ram one in each of the old slots, and same issue. I then had her move both to the unused slots, and her monitor came back (unsure if it was the cause). Any suggestions? 

IMG_1141.MOV

Motherboard Code: A2, AE, A0 (steady)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI HERO

RAM: Vengeance Pro Series — 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 

Adding specs now...

Findings: Possible corrosion damage from leaking CPU cooler.

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

We need to know the motherboard's model. Also, it would help if you could type those beeps? Short, long, how many. (well it would help me mostly since my work computer has no audio output).

But my bet is on the GPU since there is no display output.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

We need to know the motherboard's model. Also, it would help if you could type those beeps? Short, long, how many. (well it would help me mostly since my work computer has no audio output).

But my bet is on the GPU since there is no display output.

I'm adding specs as I'm getting them, I also included a video of the beeps. They have been becoming erratic, coming on, and doing some 2 beeps, then pause for a few seconds, then beep once. 

6 minutes ago, Realist Peter Pan said:

I'm adding specs as I'm getting them, I also included a video of the beeps. They have been becoming erratic, coming on, and doing some 2 beeps, then pause for a few seconds, then beep once. 

Okay, listened to it on my phone.

It definitely sounds like one long beep but then there's a problem, I can't for the love of god figure out whether it is one short beep that follows or two with a pause.

So, that might be a RAM issue or Graphics Card.

Luckily! This motherboard has codes as well. You need to ask her to open the case and look for two digit symbols (numbers or letters) that are being displayed on top near the RAM.

1 minute ago, NMS said:

Okay, listened to it on my phone.

It definitely sounds like one long beep but then there's a problem, I can't for the love of god figure out whether it is one short beep that follows or two with a pause.

So, that might be a RAM issue or Graphics Card.

Luckily! This motherboard has codes as well. You need to ask her to open the case and look for two digit symbols (numbers or letters) that are being displayed on top near the RAM.

Updated code, and having her boot without graphics card

use only one stick of ram

and yes take out graphics card

use compressed air and clean out all the dust

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

use only one stick of ram

and yes take out graphics card

use compressed air and clean out all the dust

She's dutch and dust air is apparently a rare commodity...and expensive. 

should it matter what channel? I don't think it would. 

having her removed the graphics card. she is struggling....I wish I could just do it myself.

@Realist Peter Pan

Post codes:

A2 - IDE Detect

AE - Legacy Boot Event - Hard drive related code

A0 - IDE Initialization is started

Basically all should be fine. This is probably an issue with connection between the GPU and motherboard, but I could be wrong. She should just take it out and put it back in. Perhaps an issue is with the cable?

OR and most likely the second one

She should check BIOS if it's detecting the drive.

Edited by NMS

2 minutes ago, NMS said:

@Realist Peter Pan

Post codes:

A2 - IDE Detect

AE - Legacy Boot Event

A0 - IDE Initialization is started

Basically all should be fine. This is probably an issue with connection between the GPU and motherboard, but I could be wrong. She should just take it out and put it back in. Perhaps an issue is with the cable?

I had her removed the GPU, and there is an odd white residue, I'm guessing corrosion. 

Just now, Realist Peter Pan said:

I had her removed the GPU, and there is an odd white residue, I'm guessing corrosion. 

Do I dare ask for a picture?:)

I updated the post above as well. The second code is hard drive not being accessed.

@Realist Peter Pan

The thing is, I'm guessing her system is somewhat still old and has a DVD drive, this is where the first and third beep codes come from. The IDE cable, but those are an "Okay" basically, however the second one says the problem is with the drive. So I would check in her place BIOS and fiddle around with boot priority.

Just now, NMS said:

@Realist Peter Pan

The thing is, I'm guessing her system is somewhat still old and has a DVD drive, this is where the first and third beep codes come from. The IDE cable, but those are an "Okay" basically, however the second one says the problem is with the drive. So I would check in her place BIOS and fiddle around with boot priority.

No DVD drive. 

1 minute ago, Realist Peter Pan said:

6C4B8744-601A-46C7-A4B8-D5582266118B.thumb.jpg.6ef48a917cc77448b6158361aa1ee103.jpgFEB13094-80A6-465D-9F5C-30AC9CB9005A.thumb.jpg.77f948e130569340f48a4febc6e28892.jpg

That should be cleaned with a soft dry towel. So that actually might be the problem and not the drive, despite the code.

Just now, NMS said:

That should be cleaned with a soft dry towel.

Working on it. 

She now mentions that her liquid cooler has been making funny noises.... I really hope it didn't leak...she says it doesn't look like it... but.....

edit: she says it sounds like a flushing sound... so i'm assuming it leaked some, and has air in the system now. 

She now mentions that her liquid cooler has been making funny noises.... I really hope it didn't leak...she says it doesn't look like it... but.....

Liquid cooling? Is the GPU being liquid cooled? If so, that would absolutely explain the white residue. So yeah, take everything apart, check for leaks etc.

Just now, NMS said:

Liquid cooling? Is the GPU being liquid cooled? If so, that would absolutely explain the white residue. So yeah, take everything apart, check for leaks etc.

C179A044-AF71-4AA2-AC9A-DDE2D4DCB76D.jpg.f8b10acbf8ed2deb98c88c0567380929.jpg

I'm guessing the corrosion blocked up the leak, but I'm having her get a new cpu cooler. Still have beeps after restart, with, and without GPU.

I'm guessing the corrosion blocked up the leak, but I'm having her get a new cpu cooler. 

Yeah, that H50 needs to be swapped. Probably lived its life.

5 minutes ago, NMS said:

Yeah, that H50 needs to be swapped. Probably lived its life.

regardless, the beeping still continues, I'm working on the boot sequence now. 

Can't get to boot sequence keyboard decided to not work anymore. I'm guessing the Ports are failing intermittently.