FPS locked in Fullscreen mode, but not in Windowed..

Go to solution Solved by joshuawi99,

Hmm go in the nvidia settings and disable ur second display and try again. I got the same problem when my tv is hooked up to my pc

So my issue is kinda odd and hard to find to many other people that have the same issue. Most games like Fortnight, Overwatch and Call of Duty seem to lock my fps at a specific fps.. Fortnight locks it at 120 and Overwatch locks it at 60. If i set the fps limit lower then that it will lock it correctly, but if I set it higher it still only goes up to that fps. Oddly this issue only happends in Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed mode and goes away when I switch to windowed mode. It seems like it should be the other way around and I am not sure what is causing it.. I have ensured that in all game settings and in Nvidia Control panel settings v-sync is set to off.

I am using Windows 10 and I have a GTX 1080 if that is at all relevant.

Currently I have been using a workaround by using a software called "Windowed borderless gaming" Which allows me to run the game in windowed mode, but make it look like its in borderless windowed mode. While it works well, it would be nice to not need to use a 3rd party software for most every game.

Any insight would be appreciated 9_9

Edit: So it seems the issue is because I have a second monitor that is 60hz. Any way I can fix this so I don't need to disable my monitor to use fullscreen?

Edited by Firefox365
Found issue, Still need fix if possible.

What settings do you have in your nvidia panel? Set vsync off. Do you use Gsync?

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

58 minutes ago, Firefox365 said:

So my issue is kinda odd and hard to find to many other people that have the same issue. Most games like Fortnight, Overwatch and Call of Duty seem to lock my fps at a specific fps.. Fortnight locks it at 120 and Overwatch locks it at 60. If i set the fps limit lower then that it will lock it correctly, but if I set it higher it still only goes up to that fps. Oddly this issue only happends in Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed mode and goes away when I switch to windowed mode. It seems like it should be the other way around and I am not sure what is causing it.. I have ensured that in all game settings and in Nvidia Control panel settings v-sync is set to off.

Currently I have been using a workaround by using a software called "Windowed borderless gaming" Which allows me to run the game in windowed mode, but make it look like its in borderless windowed mode. While it works well, it would be nice to not need to use a 3rd party software for most every game.

Just did some google using your title and found some answer. Not sure if it helps but did you switch off the "Game mode" in your windows settings as well as (Not even sure what that is) DVR?

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

26 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

What settings do you have in your nvidia panel? Set vsync off. Do you use Gsync?

I pretty much have, Prefer Maximum performance, vsync to off and prefered refresh rate to highest available. And not I do not use G-Sync. 

6 minutes ago, Firefox365 said:

I pretty much have, Prefer Maximum performance, vsync to off and prefered refresh rate to highest available. And not I do not use G-Sync. 

Do you have multiple displays?

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

1 minute ago, joshuawi99 said:

Do you have multiple displays?

Yes I do, One is a 1440p 144hz, and the other is a 1080p 60hz.

Hmm go in the nvidia settings and disable ur second display and try again. I got the same problem when my tv is hooked up to my pc

43 minutes ago, VolkA said:

Just did some google using your title and found some answer. Not sure if it helps but did you switch off the "Game mode" in your windows settings as well as (Not even sure what that is) DVR?

Doesn't seem to have been the issue. Apparently Microsoft removed the ability to disable gaming mode and the only way to remove it was to add something to the registry, did that and it didn't seem to do anything. 

14 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Welp just tried that and lo and behold that is the issue.. Well now I just gotta see if there is a way around it.. I really don't want to need to turn off my other monitor every time I want to play. Thanks tho!

2 minutes ago, Firefox365 said:

Welp just tried that and lo and behold that is the issue.. Well now I just gotta see if there is a way around it.. I really don't want to need to turn off my other monitor every time I want to play. Thanks tho!

Haha yeah i thought too that this is really dumb after i found that out xD. Apparently in my case it is the other way around. I only get 60 frames when i play borderless while my TV is connected xD. In ur case u got lucky :)

2 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Haha yeah i thought too that this is really dumb after i found that out xD. Apparently in my case it is the other way around. I only get 60 frames when i play borderless while my TV is connected xD. In ur case u got lucky :)

I actually just retested and noticed that its not my other monitor that's messing it up, its my TV. I didn't think that would make a difference since both my second monitor and Tv are both 60hz, 1080p and mirrored. Not as big of an issue, but I do use my TV quite alot so it would be hassle disabling it.

And as for your issue.. that is all sorts of WTF..

10 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Turns out I am wrong again.. It has something to do with my 2nd and 3rd monitor (my tv) being mirrored) if I change it so that both displays extend my primary display... it all works as it should.. Really weird.. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• 3 years later...
On 3/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, Firefox365 said:

Edit: So it seems the issue is because I have a second monitor that is 60hz. Any way I can fix this so I don't need to disable my monitor to use fullscreen?

I have the same problem but i only have one monitor with 60/75 hz and my fps stuck on 75 the only game i can play wit more then 75 is osu!

On 9/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, Zambe said:

I have the same problem but i only have one monitor with 60/75 hz and my fps stuck on 75 the only game i can play wit more then 75 is osu!

Please post your own thread. Your problem is most likely different from this threads. Do not hijack others thread, let alone 3 year old one.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv