Windows 10 Pro vs Server 2016

Cosmic Railgun

So I’ve been running Windows 10 Pro for about 1.5 years now and I’ve honestly never had a problem with it. I immediately went into group policy editor and disabled web search, cortana, and windows auto update and have been using these settings and been happy with them. However recently windows action center has started spamming me with windows update notifications, most of the time while I’m in game which is SUPER annoying because it’s loud, won’t go away until I click the X, and most importantly keeps happening even though I have all notifications turned off in windows settings. I’ve searched everywhere on google and I can’t find a fix. I went into action center and I can see the “Windows update notification” box checked, but it’s greyed out and I can’t uncheck it. This has honestly got me thinking, could I just switch to windows server 2016? All I do is do light gaming and then primarily streaming and video editing.

You can use Windows Server as a desktop OS, but there are some things to take into account. Licensing can be expensive, support for applications (desktop use stuff) can be iffy, drivers can be a pain in the ass, etc. Otherwise I have no problems running Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016, but I'll tell you now that 2012 R2 has been far more stable and faster for me. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with this...

But then on the other hand most programs I want to use won't run on WinXP

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

The upcoming Windows 10 feature update detects when you are in game so you could wait for that. Also, couldn't you just turn off notification sounds or turn on quiet hours? Server 2016 isn't really a good option, you will miss out on new features for a decade (that's how long it will be supported for).

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

2 minutes ago, Red :) said:

But then on the other hand most programs I want to use won't run on WinXP

Wow xp, thats so new, and there kinda thinking about updates. Im still on 95. 

Technichinally you can still get updates for XP aswell

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You can use Windows Server as a desktop OS, but there are some things to take into account. Licensing can be expensive, support for applications (desktop use stuff) can be iffy, drivers can be a pain in the ass, etc. Otherwise I have no problems running Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016, but I'll tell you now that 2012 R2 has been far more stable and faster for me. 

Which version of 2012 would you recommend?

5 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

The upcoming Windows 10 feature update detects when you are in game so you could wait for that. Also, couldn't you just turn off notification sounds or turn on quiet hours? Server 2016 isn't really a good option, you will miss out on new features for a decade (that's how long it will be supported for).

That sounds great and all, but I really don't trust windows to detect every game I play

Just now, Olroy1234 said:

Which version of 2012 would you recommend?

I used a single copy of 2012 R2 Standard for two years with no issues. It still works perfectly to this day and is still as fast as a fresh copy of Windows, but the drive has some issues (not related to the OS). 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I used a single copy of 2012 R2 Standard for two years with no issues. It still works perfectly to this day and is still as fast as a fresh copy of Windows, but the drive has some issues (not related to the OS). 

Looks like I could get an OEM copy on amazon.ca for $140, but that's OEM, and microsoft doesn't seem to sell anything but 2016 anymore

4 minutes ago, ptirth96 said:

Just turn on Quite Hours, while you play game.

Can quiet hours be permanently on? And does it just mute sound or notifications in general, because as I said I have every single notification setting disabled already

That's a bit of an overkill to simply install Windows Server 2016 Essential which is a $500 server license and it isn't really built for desktop usage. Maybe look into Linux + Windows with GPU Passthrough as a potential alternative? You could lock in Windows VM to prevent it from updating by either firewall or by making a snapshot of the OS and then destroy the update binary (so that it couldn't be run even if they want to) and when you want to update Windows, you can simply restore from snapshot and go from there though you would need to keep games or other software on separate drive to avoid the headache when updating through this method.

I am currently running Linux + Windows VM via GPU Passthrough. I honestly got fed up with Windows in general that I basically spend most of my time on Linux and only use Windows when absolutely necessary.

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Am I missing something? Just update

I mean, if it was an important update sure, but these are just tiny Windows defenders updates, not even that important. Which is another problem, if I install it, another one will be out in a day or so

22 minutes ago, Olroy1234 said:

I mean, if it was an important update sure, but these are just tiny Windows defenders updates, not even that important. Which is another problem, if I install it, another one will be out in a day or so

So then don't disable updates. or use another anti-virus, which Win Defender will be disabled, and updates for it will be disabled, if I am not mistaken

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So then don't disable updates. or use another anti-virus, which Win Defender will be disabled, and updates for it will be disabled, if I am not mistaken

I have a 2 year kaspersky key, but the problem with that is it pops up every time I try to watch a Twitch stream (it thinks twitch chat is insecure?) And whats to stop windows from notifying me about other updates

9 hours ago, Olroy1234 said:

Can quiet hours be permanently on? And does it just mute sound

Yes and Yes.

• 7 months later...

The only problem with 2012 is that newer igpu's aren't supported by the manufacturers. So you're limited to 1024*768. Which sucks.

Nope....Just nope.