There goes my mining project

I'm glad that i hesitated building my mining rig. Current price of LTC is at 13.49 12.70 USD. It was at 42 when i wanted to start. :o

Would it still be profitable or just plain silly?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

you never know becaus it might be worth 100 dollar tomorow but it will probebly gain value in a few days 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

No one can possibly know right now from the looks of it. It's obviously crashing after that massive ballooning of bitcoin, but predicting where it might settle isn't easy.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I just checked the litecoin calculator and my hardware break-even has went from 50 days to 183 days. Hory sheet. 

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

No one can possibly know right now from the looks of it. It's obviously crashing after that massive ballooning of bitcoin, but predicting where it might settle isn't easy.

Even if it settles here it won't make much sense for me. I would break even at 183 days before seeing any profit with the value right now.

Main Rig
Phone

Even if it settles here it won't make much sense for me. I would break even at 183 days before seeing any profit with the value right now.

I'm personally not bother putting so much time, money and effort into a mining rig...unless maybe if I had solar panels and more power than I needed.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I'm personally not bother putting so much time, money and effort into a mining rig...unless maybe if I had solar panels and more power than I needed.

Solar panels are awful, it takes like 20 years to make back the cost in ideal conditions :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

oops, darn double post

Solar panels are awful, it takes like 20 years to make back the cost in ideal conditions :P

Depends entirely where you live and how efficient the panels are, not to mention subsidies. They were a very good investment over here, but they knocked down the subsidies last year and now it's a bit less appealing.

I used to work in a technical support center where nearly everyone (but me of course) had a personal machine stashed under their desk mining BTC 24/7. I doubt the difference on their electric bill was noticeable.

the currencies are volatile... you can't invest in hardware based on what it's worth right now, everyone wanted to start mining because it increased in value, but the truth is, the people who gained money when the baloon started blowing up are the ones who had already been mining and stashing up coins beforehand, not the ones who jump onboard because it's currently worth something, at that point they are already to late.

you said your hardware would break even at 50 days then it went to 183 days, but do you think the difficulty and the value will stay the same for 183 days? or even 50 days? no! you can't expect to mine 1 coin at a time selling them one by one as you acquire them and make a steady profit that way, and this is why mining is always risky.

I'd still build one, mine some alt coins and trade into LTC or BTC to sell.