I've got 2 monitors, and when i plug the second one in, both of them go black.

Radu.exe

The first one's a T24C300, and the second one's a old SyncMaster 943NW. My graphics card is an AMD R9 270, and my OS is Win 10 Pro.
Tried the old one in an another PC, and it worked perfectly. (that pc had the same graphics card)

Also, the old one, is adapted from VGA to DVI-I Double Link

Edited by Radu.exe
Got the wrong graphics card.

2 minutes ago, ada880 said:

Do you have the drivers for the card

Yes, I have. I also updated them just before I plugged in the second monitor.

Try "waking" your display up. Press Ctrl+Shift+Win key+B all at the same time. You should see some software refreshing stuff happening. This can bring back the primary display to life, if some software issue is all you have.

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

Make sure you have the right cables. I had the same issue yesterday, I plugged in my external monitor to my laptop, and both went black. I changed the cable and it worked. Also make sure that your monitors are set to "extend". Go to your search bar, and go to "Change display settings." Go down to the last little option box that is titled "multiple displays" and set it to "extend." You might have to get new cables BEFORE doing step 2.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, PraveenRamanujam said:

Try "waking" your display up. Press Ctrl+Shift+Win key+B all at the same time. You should see some software refreshing stuff happening. This can bring back the primary display to life, if some software issue is all you have.

Tried this, but still no luck....

2 hours ago, Radu.exe said:

Tried this, but still no luck....

Ok then to rule out a hardware issue, try to set either monitor as the boot display from your UEFI/BIOS settings and see if you are able to boot into Windows individually or at least if you are able to get the motherboard/PC manufacturer logo. I have had this happen to me a few times and in all those cases, I was able to get the motherboard manufacturer logo on the screen and then nothing happened after that. it went black. The only thing that worked for me was a windows reset (not necessarily a clean install) since the files associated with the bootup process somehow got corrupted.

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

2 hours ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

Ok then to rule out a hardware issue, try to set either monitor as the boot display from your UEFI/BIOS settings and see if you are able to boot into Windows individually or at least if you are able to get the motherboard/PC manufacturer logo. I have had this happen to me a few times and in all those cases, I was able to get the motherboard manufacturer logo on the screen and then nothing happened after that. it went black. The only thing that worked for me was a windows reset (not necessarily a clean install) since the files associated with the bootup process somehow got corrupted.

Well, I tried to boot with only the old monitor which doesn't, work just a black screen, but with just the new monitor, it works just fine.

5 minutes ago, Radu.exe said:

Well, I tried to boot with only the old monitor which doesn't, work just a black screen, but with just the new monitor, it works just fine.

If your second monitor shows up in device manger, my suggestion is to go through the parameters in Details tab and see if you notice anything weird, like a different problem code for example. Compare the values of the parameters for the working monitor and maybe if you find an anomaly, look up the error message online.

Capture.PNG.ae02e14ae6a28417e3ebce231b06c06a.PNG

I'm out of anymore ideas apart from the obvious "check your VGA port" suggestion.

3 minutes ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

If your second monitor shows up in device manger, my suggestion is to go through the parameters in Details tab and see if you notice anything weird, like a different problem code for example. Compare the values of the parameters for the working monitor and maybe if you find an anomaly, look up the error message online.

Capture.PNG.ae02e14ae6a28417e3ebce231b06c06a.PNG

I'm out of anymore ideas apart from the obvious "check your VGA port" suggestion.

I only see one monitor, and I am using a DVI-I (double link) to VGA, which worked without a problem when I put the GPU in another PC.

Do you have any usable display outputs on the motherboard's I/O panel? If yes, does the monitor work when connected to a port on that? Also, what does the AMD catalyst center show? Does it detect the second monitor, despite Device Manager not detecting it?

1 minute ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

Do you have any usable display outputs on the motherboard's I/O panel? If yes, does the monitor work when connected to a port on that? Also, what does the AMD catalyst center show? Does it detect the second monitor, despite Device Manager not detecting it?

No, I don't. I tried using Remote Control and disconnecting the new monitor, but I can't change any settings, and yes catalyst detected the monitor while in remote controll but the screen was black,but the light stopped blinking.

Sorry, but I am out of my depth beyond this point. To be honest, I've never even seen the AMD catalyst center in person. I've only used NVidia cards/drivers/software all my life and so I don't know what other options are there in catalyst.

Since you used the GPU and the DVI-VGA adapter in another PC, I'd suggest you to swap out the GPU from your PC and slot in another one, if you have access to one. Maybe it is some weird inexplicable issue with the driver + the windows version in your computer. Try to rollback your display driver to an older but stable version. If not, perform a windows reset (without deleting your personal files.. that is a cool thing with Windows 10) as I mentioned in one of the earlier replies.

If you manage to solve this, update it here. It'll also be useful for me to learn something. Good luck!

Edited by PraveenRamanujam
Additional info

What do personal files mean, what does it delete ?

Also thanks for all the help.

11 minutes ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

Sorry, but I am out of my depth beyond this point. To be honest, I've never even seen the AMD catalyst center in person. I've only used NVidia cards/drivers/software all my life and so I don't know what other options are there in catalyst.

Since you used the GPU and the DVI-VGA adapter in another PC, I'd suggest you to swap out the GPU from your PC and slot in another one, if you have access to one. Maybe it is some weird inexplicable issue with the driver + the windows version in your computer. If not, perform a windows reset (without deleting your personal files.. that is a cool thing with Windows 10) as I mentioned in one of the earlier replies.

If you manage to solve this, update it here. It'll also be useful for me to learn something. Good luck!

20 minutes ago, Radu.exe said:

What do personal files mean, what does it delete ?

Oh yeah. The windows reset option allows you to keep all your files. It just deletes the windows OS files, settings and all (or most) programs. It'll be like a fresh windows installation, but with all your data intact (minus your programs). This is helpful if you have a single partition SSD/HDD..

Capture.PNG.7a09159bc073df7a2ef4449919277c4c.PNG2.PNG.5a71d2ab14d731164bcfcaddd50c5b60.PNG

20 minutes ago, Radu.exe said:

Also thanks for all the help.

No problem.

13 hours ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

Oh yeah. The windows reset option allows you to keep all your files. It just deletes the windows OS files, settings and all (or most) programs. It'll be like a fresh windows installation, but with all your data intact (minus your programs). This is helpful if you have a single partition SSD/HDD..

Capture.PNG.7a09159bc073df7a2ef4449919277c4c.PNG2.PNG.5a71d2ab14d731164bcfcaddd50c5b60.PNG

No problem.

All right, getting started now. I will post back when I'm done, and hopefully, it will work.

1 hour ago, Radu.exe said:

All right, getting started now. I will post back when I'm done, and hopefully, it will work.

Well, after an hour of wating....still no goddamn luck.....