Computer Lock Up Issues

Tzomb1e
Go to solution Solved by Tzomb1e,

So as an update, in case anyone else comes across this issue, the problem turned about to be the second DIMM slot on channel B of my MOBO.  I ended up ordering a replacement power supply which did not correct the issue (thankfully I could RMA this).  I did further testing with each of my DIMMs and ended up only having the original issue with the before mentioned slot.  I ordered a new MOBO and all issues and instability have been resolved.

Greetings all!

First time topic maker here so I apologize if the formatting is weird or if anything is wrong...Now for the fun stuff!

The issue:  After about 20 minutes of gaming (seems to happen most often while playing Battlefield 1 or 4) my computer will lock up and freeze and make this terribly loud noise.  The only way I can get out of this is to hard reset my computer and leave it off for about five minutes.  If I immediately turn the computer back on, it will not post and keep cycling through various error codes that do not show up in my MB manual and constantly restarts.  With that last sentence, I thought heating might be an issue, but my CPU never goes above 45 C and my GPU stays around 65 C even under full load.  The best part is that there are zero errors or logs created when this lockup happens.  I have dug through every inch of eventvwr, dump files, and every other log that I can think of.  All of my drives are healthy and passing all tests I can run.  My memory is using the default speed and not using an XMP profile.  My power supply is an 850W.  The rest of my system specs are at the bottom of this post. 

Troubleshooting already attempted:  While researching this I found various posts between here, Tom's hardware, and other forum sites with similar issues that were resolved with disabling sound devices, updating various device drivers and removing Intel Driver Update Utility.  When this first happened, I had a 1070 Founder's in my rig that had a custom fan curve through EVGA Precision XOC.  After removing Precision, this issue went away.  Last week I replaced that 1070 with a 1080 ROG Strix card.  I installed GPU Tweak II and set the fan curve, lighting and turned on gaming mode, and then this issue came back.  The issue stayed even after setting everything back to default in GPU Tweak and removing the program entirely.  I finally fixed it after reinstalling the drivers for my Sound Blaster Zx sound card.  Everything was perfect until last night when the issue returned.  I removed the video card and ran off of on board video so I could completely remove all of the drivers and software for my 1080 and then reinstalled it on the system, I have removed the sound card from my computer and all of its software and am running my sound through the MB optical port, and I have every sound/recording device disabled except for what I am currently using (which is onboard optical out). 

Tonight I am planning on installing a fresh copy of Windows and only installing Battlefield and a couple other games to see if the issue remains with a clean system, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar issue or could give me some thoughts on what else this might be.  My first thought is there might be something with the MB or overheating on the south bridge or memory (I have two exhaust fans in the top and rear areas of my NXZT s340 elite case that are doing a great job of pushing the warmer air out of the case).  I thought about RMAing the 1080 as well...but it is just odd that this issue has happened on two different cards. 

I do not have anything overclocked and have updated all of the drivers for my system. Just as a note. 

System Specs:

CPU - Intel i7-6700K at 4 GHz

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 (Rev. 1)

RAM - 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 (running at 2133 because my board does not like to play nice with XMP profiles)

GPU - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX (was a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founder's Edition)

Case - NZXT s340 Elite

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold

CPU Coller - Cooler Master Seidon 240m

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1709 

Any help would be very much appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Tzomb1e said:

Greetings all!

First time topic maker here so I apologize if the formatting is weird or if anything is wrong...Now for the fun stuff!

The issue:  After about 20 minutes of gaming (seems to happen most often while playing Battlefield 1 or 4) my computer will lock up and freeze and make this terribly loud noise.  The only way I can get out of this is to hard reset my computer and leave it off for about five minutes.  If I immediately turn the computer back on, it will not post and keep cycling through various error codes that do not show up in my MB manual and constantly restarts.  With that last sentence, I thought heating might be an issue, but my CPU never goes above 45 C and my GPU stays around 65 C even under full load.  The best part is that there are zero errors or logs created when this lockup happens.  I have dug through every inch of eventvwr, dump files, and every other log that I can think of.  All of my drives are healthy and passing all tests I can run.  My memory is using the default speed and not using an XMP profile.  My power supply is an 850W.  The rest of my system specs are at the bottom of this post. 

Troubleshooting already attempted:  While researching this I found various posts between here, Tom's hardware, and other forum sites with similar issues that were resolved with disabling sound devices, updating various device drivers and removing Intel Driver Update Utility.  When this first happened, I had a 1070 Founder's in my rig that had a custom fan curve through EVGA Precision XOC.  After removing Precision, this issue went away.  Last week I replaced that 1070 with a 1080 ROG Strix card.  I installed GPU Tweak II and set the fan curve, lighting and turned on gaming mode, and then this issue came back.  The issue stayed even after setting everything back to default in GPU Tweak and removing the program entirely.  I finally fixed it after reinstalling the drivers for my Sound Blaster Zx sound card.  Everything was perfect until last night when the issue returned.  I removed the video card and ran off of on board video so I could completely remove all of the drivers and software for my 1080 and then reinstalled it on the system, I have removed the sound card from my computer and all of its software and am running my sound through the MB optical port, and I have every sound/recording device disabled except for what I am currently using (which is onboard optical out). 

Tonight I am planning on installing a fresh copy of Windows and only installing Battlefield and a couple other games to see if the issue remains with a clean system, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar issue or could give me some thoughts on what else this might be.  My first thought is there might be something with the MB or overheating on the south bridge or memory (I have two exhaust fans in the top and rear areas of my NXZT s340 elite case that are doing a great job of pushing the warmer air out of the case).  I thought about RMAing the 1080 as well...but it is just odd that this issue has happened on two different cards. 

I do not have anything overclocked and have updated all of the drivers for my system. Just as a note. 

System Specs:

CPU - Intel i7-6700K at 4 GHz

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 (Rev. 1)

RAM - 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 (running at 2133 because my board does not like to play nice with XMP profiles)

GPU - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX (was a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founder's Edition)

Case - NZXT s340 Elite

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold

CPU Coller - Cooler Master Seidon 240m

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1709 

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I would try doing a stress test on your CPU and GPU. I think this might indicate a Failing Power Supply. I know AIDA64 has a option to monitor the +12, +5 and +3.3 Volt Rail. Try Stressing them Both Together at the same but 1st start with the GPU stress test then do a CPU stress test.

18 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

I would try doing a stress test on your CPU and GPU. I think this might indicate a Failing Power Supply. I know AIDA64 has a option to monitor the +12, +5 and +3.3 Volt Rail. Try Stressing them Both Together at the same but 1st start with the GPU stress test then do a CPU stress test.

I will give that a shot.  I replaced the power supply in October of 2016 (which was a replacement of the original power supply that started squeaking and making terrible noises)...if Aida shows me any faults I may stay away from the EVGA 850w this time.  Thanks for the input!

On 2/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, GanstaKingofSA said:

So I ran GPGPU benchmark in AIDA64 and during the GPU portion of the benchmark, the +3 volt rail fluctuates between 3.285 and 3.305 volts.  At idle, this rails holds at 3.305.  During the CPU phase, this holds at 3.305.  Is it normal for this rail to cycle slightly or is that a bad sign?  I am not as familiar with proper variations and fluctuations with power supplies unfortunately.

The +5 V holds at 4.980 and the +12v at 12.096 during this benchmark and all stress tests I can throw at it for both the GPU and CPU. 

• 2 weeks later...

So as an update, in case anyone else comes across this issue, the problem turned about to be the second DIMM slot on channel B of my MOBO.  I ended up ordering a replacement power supply which did not correct the issue (thankfully I could RMA this).  I did further testing with each of my DIMMs and ended up only having the original issue with the before mentioned slot.  I ordered a new MOBO and all issues and instability have been resolved.