Modding A Black NZXT Phantom 410

Wick3d_Mitch

HI all, 

So recently I build a new machine in a Black InWin 303 case with all 7 Thermaltake RGB fans. 

Well my wife loved the look of the RGB and wanted me to redo her old case, NZXT Phantom 410.

So instead of spending another $100+ (Australian) on a new case, I changed cases with her.

She got the Black InWin 303 with RGB fans and I got our 4 year old NZXT Phantom 410.

I forgot to take a before photo so I have added a reference photo.

Even tho I do still like the shape of the 410, i think it looks dated. So I set to work changing that.

While putting all my new build in this case, i removed the 2 hard drive mounting modules. Have left

the upper drive module in for now it will be removed once I have purchased a AIO to go in the case.

Today I completed the first of the large mods, increasing the size of the side window. Even though it didnt

come out perfect when in good lighting it looks good enough you cant see the small mistakes I made.

Mods to come will be remove the optic drive module, and install a 360 AIO, havnt decided on if I want

to do a vertical mounted GPU or not yet. Will also add in som LED strips and RGB fans.

Also deciding on if I want to paint some of the outer accents red or white.

11-146-120-02.jpg

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

CPU ~ i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz 1.285v | Motherboard ~ Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Cooler ~ CoolerMaster ML360R (With Corsair ML120 fans)  

RAM ~ 16gb G.Skill Sniper X 3000mhz | GPU ~ Nvidia RTX 2080 FE | PSU ~ Corsair RM1000x | Case ~ CoolerMaster MB500 

how did you get those nice straight cuts? angle grinder? looks almost machined on the pics, great job!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

3 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

how did you get those nice straight cuts? angle grinder? looks almost machined on the pics, great job!

Thanks man, used 4inch angle grinder but i clamped a straight piece of box aluminum long enough to cover the width of the panel to the panel and used

it as a guide and cut it with a 1mm disc. Cleaned it up with a grinding wheel on the flat side and sanded it. Repainted the panel and glued the PVC sheet in place. 

CPU ~ i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz 1.285v | Motherboard ~ Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Cooler ~ CoolerMaster ML360R (With Corsair ML120 fans)  

RAM ~ 16gb G.Skill Sniper X 3000mhz | GPU ~ Nvidia RTX 2080 FE | PSU ~ Corsair RM1000x | Case ~ CoolerMaster MB500 

Love the sidewindow dude! Iam currently thinking about doing the same with my phantom 410 since i really want to install my gpu vertically on the case, but currently i simply got no idea how i am going to do that... Maybe using the coolermaster vertical mount bracket?

Would really appreciate it if you could carry on uploading your progress mate!

2 hours ago, MaximumR said:

Love the sidewindow dude! Iam currently thinking about doing the same with my phantom 410 since i really want to install my gpu vertically on the case, but currently i simply got no idea how i am going to do that... Maybe using the coolermaster vertical mount bracket?

Would really appreciate it if you could carry on uploading your progress mate!

Im thinking of the same vertical mount bracket, but that also comes down to which CPU cooler i go with. First been thinking about a 360 rad mounted to the front (all drive bays have been removed), but now im thinking i wouldn't mind staying air cooled and going with a Cryorig R1. If i go air cooled then i limit the room due to the height of the GPU vertically mounted.

Little update, so was looking at the cable management and was not very happy so got to work making it a little cleaner.

Removed the last upper drive bay, made a fill in panel from 3mm PVC clear sheet. Painted the back of it black to get the super gloss look.

Used MB stand offs to raise it up to allow room for some cables. Didnt know what to do with the PSU cables so for now covered them with

black elec tape. 

Well this is where I am up to, next will be to decide to continue with getting a AIO to install or air cooling, i really like air cooling but limits the

space I have as I want a Cryorig R1. I also need to upgrade all the fans as there all over 4 years old.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

This is now turning in to more like a build log. 

So a little update, the wife is a Twitch streamer, streaming art and some games. Which is linked to your business.

To this, I swapped her computers as mine was a lot newer and much faster. So, she now running MSI Tomahawk B350, with Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock),

MSI GTX 1060 6gb, 16gb of G Flare 2400mhz. 

Now for the 410 Phantom, I have taken her FX-8350, Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, 16gb of Hyper X 1600 ram and GTX 770 2gb.

So I have spent the weekend learning now to overclock on the FX8350, this way I can learn and not worried if I kill it.

Then this happend, found another GTX770 2gb card online for $130 so picked it up today and running SLI.

Currently, running 4.4ghz with Corsair H60

GTX770 SLi overclocked to memory 3702mhz - core clock 1254mhz

Next is to change out the AIO as its 4 years old and I like air cooling and upgrade all the fans to newer fans.

IMG_0670.thumb.JPG.74693c15cfe3e12fa9b10f6e910908c1.JPG

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, chrisbg07 said:

where did you put the ssds and or hard drives

Only had SSD installed and it was stuck to the back of the black perspex panel i installed.

Awesome job man, I did the same thing to my wife's build a few months back, although yours is a bit cleaner!

20171013_205158_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.47889af0c76388028669ed1711bab564.jpeg

My current build ↘️⬇️↙️